Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

JAllen wrote:Not meaning to cry foul, but how is that not moveable aero? Not quite understanding this.

Joe
I don't think it adjusts during the race.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Richard

"Moveable aero" refers to things moving after the car has left the pits.

This will simply be an adjustment screw for the mechanics, along with all the other adjustable bits on the car.

Also, the brake cooling ducts are not classified as aero, that's how the teams get away with fins that to you and I look like flow conditioners.

Finally, I wonder if there is some thermal expansion thing inside to open and close the duct, just like any other thermostatic valve in the car?

JAllen

Thanks all! Didn't think I was getting it!

hardingfv32

1) There seems to be a hose attached o the low left side.
2) The use of a return spring does not seem indicative of a mechanically adjusted system.

3) Could the movement of the shaft be hydraulic. This area is completely covered under normal operating conditions.

4) Could the movement of the adjustment shaft be powered by the brake fluid pressure? Is the no movable 'aero' rule black and white on the subject of brake ducts?

Brian

Gridlock

Bodywork is the unsprung part of the car. Seriously, go read the regs sometime, you always ask questions that are easily answered by looking at the regs. They're not secret you know.

hardingfv32

scarbs wrote:The team use it to alter rear tyre temp over the weekend , presumably in the race too!
How about something on the wheel mounting system that correctly matches the tire compound to the required heat level desired? Some kind of hydraulic plunger system at that wheel mounting interface that creates hydraulic flow to the adjuster.

Or much less exciting, the driver makes the adjustment during the pit stop.

Brian

hardingfv32

Gridlock wrote:Bodywork is the unsprung part of the car.
Relevance? Can you expand.

Brian

PlatinumZealot

Gridlock wrote:Bodywork is the unsprung part of the car. Seriously, go read the regs sometime, you always ask questions that are easily answered by looking at the regs. They're not secret you know.
Body work is the sprung part. It's supported by the suspension.
The unsprung or unsupported parts are the wheels, brakes, tyres, a-arms. etc.

Some consider the tyre a spring, and it is, but that's another matter.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Richard

Surely you mean sprung? It's sods law that when we correct people on the basics we end up typing the opposite of what we meant!

I think this is where I say "Go read the regs sometime, they're not secret you know" :D

Richard
Gridlock wrote:Bodywork is the unsprung part of the car. Seriously, go read the regs sometime, you always ask questions that are easily answered by looking at the regs. They're not secret you know.

Chalke

Could this help explain the difference between the parts of the duct with mesh and those without? I had presumed it was where the air was ducted to that was important previously.

Maybe the open part of the duct is only being used part-time used so there's not the need to protect from marbles, or perhaps this area only opens under braking for additional cooling and allows air to pass through elsewhere for some aero/downforce benefit under acceleration?

To take this concept to the extreme, would ducts that pop open under brake fluid pressure but are sprung to 'tuck in' under acceleration for minimal drag be legal as they on the unsprung part of the car?

Gridlock

richard_leeds wrote:Surely you mean sprung? It's sods law that when we correct people on the basics we end up typing the opposite of what we meant!

I think this is where I say "Go read the regs sometime, they're not secret you know" :D

Richard
:oops:

hardingfv32

Does the fact the duct is sprung or not have significance?

3.15 states that for any part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance must be secured to a sprung part of the car. Does this mean then by definition that brake ducks do not provide aerodynamic performance?

So what would prevent the use of an 'on track' adjustable duct system?

Brian

GrizzleBoy

No pics of the McLaren today? Hrmmm...

gray41

Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Owen.C93

GrizzleBoy wrote:No pics of the McLaren today? Hrmmm...
Nothing new so no point.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)