Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ledzep4pm

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Here is my 2 cents about the louvres:

The Top surface of the wing is undoubtedly high pressure. The underside of the wing is lower pressure(I'm not sure on absolute figures but it is a lot closer to atmospheric pressure than the top surface). And outside the end plate is atmospheric pressure.

Without the louvres the large flow rate and pressure differentials cause large trailing edge vortices (the things you see in the wet). The louvre simpley allows a more 'gentle' equilisation at the edge of the wing. This reduces the overall downforce but drastically increases the efficiency, reducing drag.
Twitter @ledzep4pm

Giando

New nose cone for McLaren secretly tested at Mugello.

http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formula_1 ... a+sorpresa

MIKEY_!

Natural evolution having lost the snow plough

Giando

MIKEY_! wrote:Natural evolution having lost the snow plough
Yes, well... 'natural' if you have a wind-tunnel and all the data of the car...
I didn't expect it, for sure... did you?! For real?!? :wink:

It's expensive, it has to pass new crash-tests and it is not easy to design as it is higher than the previous one
but has to comply with the controversial 2012's chassis and nose heights rules...

I personally think it's a great effort by McLaren. :!:

:mrgreen:

shelly

When / how did they test it without it being in the news-coverage of tests?

Edit: read the linked article and found the answer (tested so briefly that no one noticed). Still surprising though, that no one had noticed yet
twitter: @armchair_aero

MIKEY_!

I was surprised we ever saw the previous version, between the snowplough nose and this nose. It may not have required a new crash test, sometimes (but not very often) the crash structure is internal only. Not that impressive either, TR managed a much bigger change last year.

Giando

MIKEY_! wrote:I was surprised we ever saw the previous version, between the snowplough nose and this nose. It may not have required a new crash test, sometimes (but not very often) the crash structure is internal only. Not that impressive either, TR managed a much bigger change last year.
?!? What ?!?

This was maybe 20 years ago... according to my knowledge.

-

Anyway... different points of view, mate... :wink:
TR managed to change their nose cone in the middle of the season, not after 4 races...

Last radical nose-cone change i remember was the RB in 2009, but again in the middle of the season (Silverstone).
Previously the Ferrari F310B nose from ultra low to high back in 1996, but it was mainly to gain performance out of a bad car.

McLaren is already one the 2/3 best cars on the field and this is a huge step, imho.

:)

silversurf3r

[quote="Giando"]New nose cone for McLaren secretly tested at Mugello.

Wow! Did not see this coming. I thought the car was built around the aero philosophy of the lower nose? How do you guys see this effecting performance? There must be fairly significant benefits to make such a big change. This is definitely the best compromise solution I have seen on any of this years noses. (superficially at least)

Huntresa

silversurf3r wrote:
Giando wrote:New nose cone for McLaren secretly tested at Mugello.

Wow! Did not see this coming. I thought the car was built around the aero philosophy of the lower nose? How do you guys see this effecting performance? There must be fairly significant benefits to make such a big change. This is definitely the best compromise solution I have seen on any of this years noses. (superficially at least)
Its still pretty low. Also is it shadows or does it go down then up ?

simieski

hardingfv32 wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:Question: why if the problem is air comming from beneith the wing, does the winglet tries to cut off the top and not the bottom?
I understand how the "current" solution works, but it seems more logical to tackle the bottom.
The low pressure region (distance from wing surface) on the low pressure side of a wing is many times larger than the high side of a wing. Is that on point?

Brian
Due to the sheer size of some aircraft winglets, e.g 737ng, ground clearance would also be a problem if they were mounted on the bottom surface.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

silversurf3r

Huntresa wrote:
silversurf3r wrote:
Giando wrote:New nose cone for McLaren secretly tested at Mugello.

Its still pretty low. Also is it shadows or does it go down then up ?
Ye it's definitely not as high as the likes of Ferrari but its a shift in their philosophy I think. Does appear to dip and rise again to me. Im no aerodynamicist so I don't know what the pros and cons of this would be. ...?

Huntresa

Seems to be like if you take your hand and put your 4 fingers together and then thumb under, the ange under going up rly looks like the thumb under the 4 fingers. Weird thing but it just came to me :P

silversurf3r

Reading the Autosprint article again it says the nose may be used only for certain circuits!?

Huntresa

silversurf3r wrote:Reading the Autosprint article again it says the nose may be used only for certain circuits!?
Cant see how that would work, i mean i hardly think the nose would be such a benefit either more or less downforce then tweaking something else, or am i wrong?

What we need is better pictures! Where is crucial when you need him???

FrukostScones

maybe they need it for their ddrs
picture comparison: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 07992.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.