Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Huntresa wrote:
silversurf3r wrote:Reading the Autosprint article again it says the nose may be used only for certain circuits!?
Cant see how that would work, i mean i hardly think the nose would be such a benefit either more or less downforce then tweaking something else, or am i wrong?

What we need is better pictures! Where is crucial when you need him???
I can't be bothered to look through all the picture right now, but here's 3 that were posted on Autosport forums.

I wonder if this will allow the return of the snow plough.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 07 May 2012, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Huntresa

Wouldnt a snowplough fit nicely under that now ? AS in better then before seeing the huge gap they gained there, its like twice a big now .

i70q7m7ghw

They removed the snowplough because they didn't need the downforce it produced, not because it didn't fit.

beelsebob

Diesel wrote:They removed the snowplough because they didn't need the downforce it produced, not because it didn't fit.
No, they removed the snowplough because it impeded airflow under the nose and hence to the rear of the car. The higher nose is presumably for the exact same reason. Looks like Gary Anderson was right after all.

Huntresa

Diesel wrote:They removed the snowplough because they didn't need the downforce it produced, not because it didn't fit.
Didnt mean it didnt fit, lol, i just meant it didnt work with their concept but it might work now.

Paul

Might be that the diffuser has been developed enough that it can handle more air, hence they are trying to better feed the splitter.

gray41

Would it be worth putting the plough on for Monaco?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

raymondu999

The issue with the plough is, with undernose real estate little as it is, it robs the diffuser of air for rear df, while increasing the front, prompting a balance shift.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wunderkind

The different nose cones maybe deployed depending on the characteristics of the circuits. The high nose for lower speed circuit and the lower nose for the faster circuits.

Gridlock

Exactly, it's a downforce balance that they seek, remove a shedload of EBD-sourced rear DF and you don't need to be as brutal at the front. That's what they'd have found at the pre-seasons. It wouldn't surprise me to see the snowplough get a final curtain call on the streets of the principality but otherwise it seems surplus to requirements this year.

IMO the newly-tested nose would logically be an evolution of the plough, adopting some of its more desirable conditioning characteristics into bodywork shape while losing the DF generation.

Of course, they're the ones with 40 Teraflops.

Nando

Could be just getting some actual real life data instead of what i presume is many hours in the windtunnel testing high and low noses.

I hope they won´t go that route in terms of aesthetics, the car is soo beautiful and you know what they say about beautiful cars and titles..
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

PlatinumZealot

Huntresa wrote:
silversurf3r wrote:
Giando wrote:New nose cone for McLaren secretly tested at Mugello.

Wow! Did not see this coming. I thought the car was built around the aero philosophy of the lower nose? How do you guys see this effecting performance? There must be fairly significant benefits to make such a big change. This is definitely the best compromise solution I have seen on any of this years noses. (superficially at least)
Its still pretty low. Also is it shadows or does it go down then up ?
???? :wtf: You must be a very taaaaall person.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

gray41

If it does feed the diffuser better how much lap time could it be worth running the nose this much higher?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

PlatinumZealot

Gridlock wrote:Exactly, it's a downforce balance that they seek, remove a shedload of EBD-sourced rear DF and you don't need to be as brutal at the front. That's what they'd have found at the pre-seasons. It wouldn't surprise me to see the snowplough get a final curtain call on the streets of the principality but otherwise it seems surplus to requirements this year.

IMO the newly-tested nose would logically be an evolution of the plough, adopting some of its more desirable conditioning characteristics into bodywork shape while losing the DF generation.
I agree. It's the only logical path to take. In testing, they had too much downforce from the FW and too little from the rear of the car, so they had to take some off the Front wing to achieve a good balance.

With the high nose they get a little more floor efficiency which moves the balance more to the rear. This allows them to revisit adding more Downfoce on the front Wing.
Of course, they're the ones with 40 Teraflops.
I wouldn't say that though. After mountains of data and experince gathered over the years, Mclaren must be at a point where they can categorically say what a high nose will do, without diverting a large portion of their computing resources.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

raymondu999

Is that nose now inline with the heights of the stepped beauties we see? Or is it just the tip that's flicked up?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法