Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Tue May 08, 2012 10:44 am

Kantzis wrote:http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13295203
What about this and this
http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/13295162

It seams to me that they are trying something...

The device on the tip of the nose cone maybe a laser measuring device to measure any pitch and changes in ride height when the car is in motion.
wunderkind

Post Tue May 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Oh just wait until Ringo see's this new McLaren nose. :lol: He's been on about the low nose from day one.

I don't think it's a big deal. Why not switch to something that works better if the team determines it is in fact better. The low nose can't be attributed directly to any poor performances.
Crucial_Xtreme

Post Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Oh just wait until Ringo see's this new McLaren nose. :lol: He's been on about the low nose from day one.

I don't think it's a big deal. Why not switch to something that works better if the team determines it is in fact better. The low nose can't be attributed directly to any poor performances.

The benefit of the new nose comes not only from the added height, but primarily from the more elliptical tip 8)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法
raymondu999

Post Tue May 08, 2012 2:06 pm

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Oh just wait until Ringo see's this new McLaren nose. :lol: He's been on about the low nose from day one.

There was some chat on twitter that said it was likely a track specific modification. I guess we'll find out in due course.
Shakeman

Post Tue May 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Shakeman wrote:

There was some chat on twitter that said it was likely a track specific modification. I guess we'll find out in due course.

Entirely plausable that they'd bring it for high rear downforce dependant tracks, and drop it for tracks needing a pointy front end.
beelsebob

Post Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 pm

I think this nose makes the car look even better, so much more elegant than the other stepped noses, if you can call this stepped!
ajdavison2

Post Tue May 08, 2012 6:43 pm

This is only a cosmetic change. The bulkhead remains at its low height as heretofore, and only the tip of the nosecone has been raised slightly, if at all. It could well be that the only difference is a slightly concave top.
gilgen

Post Tue May 08, 2012 6:46 pm

gilgen wrote:This is only a cosmetic change. The bulkhead remains at its low height as heretofore, and only the tip of the nosecone has been raised slightly, if at all. It could well be that the only difference is a slightly concave top.

I think its clear that other dimensions have also changed hence the need to revise the pylons
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".
Coefficient

Post Tue May 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Coefficient wrote:
gilgen wrote:This is only a cosmetic change. The bulkhead remains at its low height as heretofore, and only the tip of the nosecone has been raised slightly, if at all. It could well be that the only difference is a slightly concave top.

I think its clear that other dimensions have also changed hence the need to revise the pylons

I think that might be it though. Looks to me they have scraped off some carbon on tóp of the nose cone then just raised the front of it.
Possibly made it thinner from the underside as well.
And the obvious pylons.

But i doubt they have done anything to the chassis, looks the same to me, just a modified nose cone.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."
Nando

Post Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 pm

The old nose was pointing down to the floor and would have generated downforce at the tip. The air then gets used over the top of the car.

The new nose tip cuts straight through the air and allows air that would have otherwise been pushed up and over the car to get underneath it.

Can that be seen as only a cosmetic change?
GrizzleBoy

Post Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Does anyone else see a second layer below the main plane on the outer section of the wing? Is this real, optical illusion or test gubbins? Was it always there?
brucci2000

Post Wed May 09, 2012 12:36 am

brucci2000 wrote:[img]http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McLaren-Nase-Mugello-Test-2012-19-fotoshowImageNew-879209f0-592480.jpg[img]

Does anyone else see a second layer below the main plane on the outer section of the wing? Is this real, optical illusion or test gubbins? Was it always there?

I don't see what you are talking about.
Owen.C93

Post Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 am

Yes..it does appear to be a two layered wing..but i hope its not an illusion of the leading edge thickness
n_anirudh

Post Wed May 09, 2012 4:19 am

i believe it is the reflection of the road on the leading edge.

if it were a two layered wing it would breach the minimum radius would it not. a picture with better colour depth would clarify this
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna
Robbobnob

Post Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 am

It´s one solid piece from what i can see. Left side shows that it´s just a thick piece of carbon.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."
Nando

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development