Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

It's not cross threading you have to worry about its galling. Not seen a pic of the threads yet though perhaps they have reduced the amount and increased the size/pitch like Ferrari's
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

adrianjordan

Gridlock wrote:The general idea is that you can't...
That's the general idea...but with McLaren this season I wouldn't rule anything out...

Is there not some sort of system that aligns the wheel so that the nut won't fasten until the wheel's properly aligned (thus minimising the risk of cross-threading nuts...)
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

The larger retracting pins like on the Ferrari solution help to keep the wheel aligned correctly. I did an article a whole back on my blog about it somersf1.blogspot.com
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Coefficient
Coefficient

FrukostScones wrote:high nose, normal small DRS-flap
Does that pod/engine cover look different? Looking at the top of the Vodafone logo on the side it appears taller than the top surface which makes me see a u pod. Anyone else see that?

Nevermind, see it now.
Last edited by Coefficient on 24 May 2012, 01:13, edited 2 times in total.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

PlatinumZealot

Lets see it on the car first.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

beelsebob wrote:
Diesel wrote:So what happens when they crossthread a nut?
They need to change all 4 wheels.
i'd be surprised if the nuts are permanently attached to the wheels. they only really need something as simple as a circlip or a pushbutton pin to keep them from falling out but allowing them to turn.

if so, then i also wouldn't be surprised if the mechanics aren't ready to quickly swap out the nut during the pitstop if they really screw up its threads.

raymondu999

Coefficient wrote:Does that pod/engine cover look different? Looking at the top of the Vodafone logo on the side it appears taller than the top surface which makes me see a u pod. Anyone else see that?
It's in two pieces - the sidepod cover and the engine cover. They're just not aligned, that's all.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

ParanoiD

Just read an article on Autosport Mag, it said that McLaren opted the high nose because the lower nose has limited potential to be explored. Will this limit the potential development of the MP4-27? and if it will and let say they opted to change to higher chassis which will be costly, does that take their much of their resource which again will limit held back their development?

Just a thought anyway..
Ay Carumba!

gray41

Any new bits?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

ajdavison2 wrote:Then they're up the proverbial creek without a paddle, because the nut is embedded in the wheel they can't just swap the nut, they'll have to get a full new set of wheels and tires because you cant mix.
Why can't you mix?

myurr
myurr

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Then they're up the proverbial creek without a paddle, because the nut is embedded in the wheel they can't just swap the nut, they'll have to get a full new set of wheels and tires because you cant mix.
Why can't you mix?
It's against the rules. Tyres are allocated as sets of 4 and have to be used as a set.

volarchico
volarchico

ParanoiD wrote:Just read an article on Autosport Mag, it said that McLaren opted the high nose because the lower nose has limited potential to be explored. Will this limit the potential development of the MP4-27? and if it will and let say they opted to change to higher chassis which will be costly, does that take their much of their resource which again will limit held back their development?

Just a thought anyway..
Your username appears quite appropriate after a post like this.

PlatinumZealot

myurr wrote:
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
Why can't you mix?
It's against the rules. Tyres are allocated as sets of 4 and have to be used as a set.
Used as a set..meaning you can't swap them individually after being on the car... but if there were not put on the car I don't see why not?

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:Used as a set..meaning you can't swap them individually after being on the car... but if there were not put on the car I don't see why not?
They're allocated in sets, with numbered labels on.

PlatinumZealot

Change the labels behind the scenes? :lol:

Anyway, I agree with the guy that said they nuts probably have a clip or some quick release mechanism holding them in the centre section of the wheel.