Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ell66

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

hardingfv32 wrote:
ell66 wrote:Indeed, that said i want to wait to see if the car is fast on all types of circuits, we got spa, monza ad singapore next if its competetive at all then id be impressed.
You must be kidding. A little soon on that call I believe. Was not too long ago (days?) and the same claim was being made of Ferrari. Until proven otherwise, they lucked out with the tire setup.

Brian
You obviously didn't read what I said. IF mclaren remain very competeive at spa, monza and singapore it will show that they can race well on allmost all types of circuits.

And with all due respect to ferrari anyone that pays attention would realise they lucked into winning valencia, silverstone the redbulls and lotus's were faster in the dry and even in germany button and vettel had a bit more pace.

still concerend with the mclaren race pace, lotus and red bull looked quiker today.

PlatinumZealot

The car is the quickest over a lap now, but not really the best on race pace in the conditions of Hungary. I hope Spa is cold.

Hoping to see the earless front brake ducts on the Mclaren for Spa.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jackles-UK

n smikle wrote:The car is the quickest over a lap now, but not really the best on race pace in the conditions of Hungary. I hope Spa is cold.
Don't forget, in normal dry conditions (in the hands of Hamilton anyway) the car has never been outside the top 3 over a single lap.

Race pace has been somewhat an achilles heel though recently, chiefly down to slightly weaker tyre deg than other teams and despite the Lotus' good pace at Hungaroring it does seems that tyre deg (and therefore race pace) has improved quite a bit. Lewis even said over the radio that he felt he actually came in a couple of laps earlier than he needed to on his first set of primes (second stint) which, seeing as he was hitting the cliff about 3-5 laps earlier than he'd want pre-upgrades, mark a big improvement.

Boost

ell66 wrote:still concerend with the mclaren race pace, lotus and red bull looked quiker today.
Remember that RBR went with the 3 stop strategy, which was actually the predicted fastest way to the finish but exposed the drivers to a greater likely hood of getting stuck in traffic. This meant that they could push their tyres harder.

raymondu999

I don't think we have a direct comparison except for Vettel vs Hamilton in the first stint. But at that point Lewis had free air and Vettel was getting caught up with a slower Button anyways.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

Boost wrote:
ell66 wrote:still concerend with the mclaren race pace, lotus and red bull looked quiker today.
Remember that RBR went with the 3 stop strategy, which was actually the predicted fastest way to the finish but exposed the drivers to a greater likely hood of getting stuck in traffic. This meant that they could push their tyres harder.
Also remember, it was hot today, so it was worst case for McLaren and best case for RBR and Lotus.

raymondu999

It's generally hot and traction that does it for McLaren though. Hot and lateral I don't remember having similarly averse effects.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:It's generally hot and traction that does it for McLaren though. Hot and lateral I don't remember having similarly averse effects.
Right, but the killer in Hungary is exactly that – traction. It's the rear tyres out of the final two turns that die.

raymondu999

Don't forget the first two turns too on taking life out of the rears. But having said that, a large part of the tyre life goes through thermal deg as they carry speeds through long corners.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

Could anyone tell me what was happening with Hamilton's tail light flickering for half the race? Glitch or something more serious?
#AeroFrodo

beelsebob

turbof1 wrote:Could anyone tell me what was happening with Hamilton's tail light flickering for half the race? Glitch or something more serious?
Ted said during the race that McLaren had said it was probably just lewis hitting the wrong button on the steering wheel at some point... Luckily it wasn't the pit lane speed limiter :lol:

raymondu999

turbof1 wrote:Could anyone tell me what was happening with Hamilton's tail light flickering for half the race? Glitch or something more serious?
Perhaps it's him putting on the intermediate tyre engine map, so the engine provides less torque and is easier for him to manage rear wheelspin? :twisted:
beelsebob wrote:Ted said during the race that McLaren had said it was probably just lewis hitting the wrong button on the steering wheel at some point... Luckily it wasn't the pit lane speed limiter :lol:
Lol - I remember he did that in Suzuka 2009 which ultimately lost him P2 to Trulli.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

simieski

raymondu999 wrote: Lol - I remember he did that in Suzuka 2009 which ultimately lost him P2 to Trulli.
Wasn't that Heikki?

Edit- my mistake heikki was Aus 2008
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Nando

Nobody would have gotten past Hamilton that day.

Yes Lotus was quicker over a lap but from the second to last corner to the first one, nobody could hang on to Lewis.
Sometimes he did not even use his KERS to fend of Kimi.

And as someone said he was doing personal bests when there was like 6 laps left or something.
Looked to me he was in total control knowing that nobody would catch him out of the last corner.

One of his best drives in my opinion. Very very strong drive.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

westech

raymondu999 wrote:
Perhaps it's him putting on the intermediate tyre engine map, so the engine provides less torque and is easier for him to manage rear wheelspin? :twisted:
beelsebob wrote:Ted said during the race that McLaren had said it was probably just lewis hitting the wrong button on the steering wheel at some point... Luckily it wasn't the pit lane speed limiter :lol:
Lol - I remember he did that in Suzuka 2009 which ultimately lost him P2 to Trulli.
Ray you are correct the team told him to put on the intermediate tyre engine map to provide less torque, that's how he managed the rear wheelspin (b) To add on that the flickering tail light on a sunny afternoon is not good it confuses who ever is behind you keep on briping as it does.