Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spankyham

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Comparison, old & new

Interesting indents now in the gurney above the diffuser and it seems (to my old eyes anyway) that the gurney on the sides is "shallower" so perhaps they are looking for more flow there now???
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Postmoe

Nando wrote:
Postmoe wrote:Perhaps the new diffuser/beam wing/exhausts are giving better aero COG.
CoP you mean?
Center of PR0n?

I don't know I was refering to the aerodynamic equilibrium between axes and all the stuff, that normally has it own logics in comparison to mechanic CoG.

I fear I don't know the exact term so I put aerodynamic and CoG together in order to create an inbreded one.

Postmoe

.poz wrote:Any pic of the rake of the car ?

If you look at the crucial comparison you'll see there's a massive change in rake terms. The new one has such a radical approach that it even look like it is floating.

Incredible indeed.

Crucial_Xtreme

FP1

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 11 May 2012, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

Teechnical

Postmoe wrote:

If you look at the crucial comparison you'll see there's a massive change in rake terms. The new one has such a radical approach that it even look like it is floating.

Incredible indeed.

What exactly does Rake mean? :?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

tpe
tpe

Did FA run with the new nose???

dr_cooke

Postmoe wrote:

Incredible indeed.
You forgot the :D , didn't you?

Cuky

Teechnical wrote:What exactly does Rake mean? :?
difference in height between front and rear end of the car

Owen.C93

Teechnical wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

Incredible indeed.

Low front ride height and high rear ride height is a lot of rake.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ForMuLaOne

Teechnical wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

Incredible indeed.

It means how the car is angled from front to rear. Last year`s exhaust blown diffusor allowed to run a higher angle of the car, the rear had a higher ride height. An angled car produces more downforce, if one can manage to seal the sides of the diffusor properly.

@postmoe: In the picture you are reffering to, the car does not touch the ground. It is jacked up.

Nando

Postmoe wrote:Center of PR0n?

I don't know I was refering to the aerodynamic equilibrium between axes and all the stuff, that normally has it own logics in comparison to mechanic CoG.

I fear I don't know the exact term so I put aerodynamic and CoG together in order to create an inbreded one.
If you talk about aero balance i think the correct term is Center of Pressure.
versus Center of Mass (or Center of Gravity) for the actual weight distribution on the car.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Postmoe

ForMuLaOne wrote:
Teechnical wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

Incredible indeed.

It means how the car is angled from front to rear. Last year`s exhaust blown diffusor allowed to run a higher angle of the car, the rear had a higher ride height. An angled car produces more downforce, if one can manage to seal the sides of the diffusor properly.

@postmoe: In the picture you are reffering to, the car does not touch the ground. It is jacked up.
Yes, yes. That's how it works. It's completely passive, the driver is doing nothing so it's legal.

Postmoe

Nando wrote:
Postmoe wrote:Center of PR0n?

If you talk about aero balance i think the correct term is Center of Pressure.
versus Center of Mass (or Center of Gravity) for the actual weight distribution on the car.
Yes, it has more sense since there's no gravity involved. I just forgot it was pressure, and I will forget it another time. I always forget these sort of things :lol:

Teechnical

Forgive me for another newby question but you'd have to run as low rake as you possibly could to seal the diffuser?
Is that correct?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

.poz

To me it looks almost the same. Maybe the front wing is a little bit lower but with different angle /distance it's difficult to compare

Mugello rake

Barcellona
Last edited by .poz on 11 May 2012, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.