Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hush

Re: Ferrari F2012

Where did this heated floor rumours originate from? I fail to see any real competitive advantage in having it...

And where is this Byrne floor? You would have thought that they would have tested it already in order to make adjustments should their be correlation issues. I'm starting to think that this magic floor and diffuser don't exist.

Trocola

C Plinius Secundus wrote:
Trocola wrote:
C Plinius Secundus wrote:

Yes, you're right about that, but how many laps does a car run in quali? If Ferrari struggled to heat up the tyres in two or three laps, why should it be so fast to heat up the floor. If they could make it deform after 10-15 laps, maybe…
What's the point in having a diffuser that start working on lap 15? As last year, qualification is very important and, IIRC, Ferrari wanted to improve his qualifying form

If that magic diffuser works by heating, that heating must be quick

Trocola
Maybe it could deform quickly, and even regain its previous shape as quickly too. Or not. It's all hypothetical (at least for me), in fact, there's been the word about the "Byrne floor" and "heated floor" for weeks/months, and not even a single photo or proof of any kind has supported its existence so far, and the Melbourne opening race is just a couple of weeks ahead. What if it was all "hot air"? (but not EBD hot air :lol:)

BTW, I greatly appreciate the exchange of ideas. :idea:
About your last words, totally agree. I am here to learn and this is the best way to do it.

The other thing, the most complicated about this magic floor is: could a heat-deformed diffuser be the most illegal thing ever fitted to an F1 car? If they get caught, a DSQ from every race could be possible, even if the team is Ferrari

Trocola

f1316

May be a really dumb question, I'm sure it must have been answered somewhere, so apologies if it has, but:

Where does all this talk of a Byrne floor come from? Have there been articles about it (possibly in the non-English speaking press that I haven't read)? Or is this coming from inside sources from within the team?

Again, apologies if this is old news.

Crabbia

The rumors are mostly from twitter feeds and pre-lauch speculations so not all that reliable but the rumors say the floor is only supposed to be introduced on the 2nd test in Barcelona, which is tomorrow. So i guess we will find out tomorrow.

Unless, ofcourse, it is something that isn't visible when the car is fully assembled. Then the rumors will persist unfortunately.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

f1316

Crabbia wrote:The rumors are mostly from twitter feeds and pre-lauch speculations so not all that reliable but the rumors say the floor is only supposed to be introduced on the 2nd test in Barcelona, which is tomorrow. So i guess we will find out tomorrow.

Unless, ofcourse, it is something that isn't visible when the car is fully assembled. Then the rumors will persist unfortunately.
Ah, OK, thanks for that. I'll be even more fascinated than usual to pour over the pictures from testing tomorrow!

Kiril Varbanov

These "floor" talks are rather exaggerated. You can't have holes in the floor, you don't want to make it deformable in any way, because there are cold and wet races, as well as very hot ones.
Basically, not much to extract from the floor with the current regulations:
"The floor must be flat, but since it's kind of hard to produce absolutely flat structure, a manufacturing tolerance of +/-5mm was permitted.
Later is has been perceived that some teams may use that tolerance to design allegedly an illegal solution, so that metric has been lowered to +/- 3mm."
You can't even go for sea-saw solution, as the plank could be excessively worn, so not much to do with it.
Can anyone show me a picture of a floor, aside from STR7 and RB7, which has anything special in it?
I'd love to discuss that.

KeiKo403

Does anyone know just how thick/thin this magic floor is meant to be? Also how solid will it be when the plank rubs a few curbs and all the stress it will be under with car roll etc.

Crucial_Xtreme

Kiril Varbanov wrote:These "floor" talks are rather exaggerated. You can't have holes in the floor, you don't want to make it deformable in any way, because there are cold and wet races, as well as very hot ones.
Basically, not much to extract from the floor with the current regulations:
"The floor must be flat, but since it's kind of hard to produce absolutely flat structure, a manufacturing tolerance of +/-5mm was permitted.
Later is has been perceived that some teams may use that tolerance to design allegedly an illegal solution, so that metric has been lowered to +/- 3mm."
You can't even go for sea-saw solution, as the plank could be excessively worn, so not much to do with it.
Can anyone show me a picture of a floor, aside from STR7 and RB7, which has anything special in it?
I'd love to discuss that.
You can see a difference in thickness & just how much more the F2012 floor shines in comparison to the others. I remember Scarbs mentioning how different the F2012's floor looks compared to the other teams after Jerez & in BCN. As far as the "heated diffuser" it does sound a little far fetched, with no obvious gains in performance but it wouldn't be the first time.
We'll have to wait until tomorrow & over the weekend to see if we see any changes.

shelly

@kiril: you should not rule out thing like that, especially if you know a little bit about f1.

holes: you an put them in the loor if you leave a slot and nothing is visible from above
flexiblity: teams always try with floor flexing, there are flexibility test speific to the floor to rule and limit that so tis is a proof it is being done

cold_ hot races : you can build as many floors you want to fit every race condition, so just as you have different head rest foams for different temperature range, you could have different floors.

Scratch the surface of f1 knowledge and you will find a lot of intersting things to discuss.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Hail22

If people remember, there was a hole/slit in the floor in the F150 designed by Aldo Costa.....been trying to find a photo of it but this floor will be made by the man himself so who knows...he is the mad scientist of design...so lets see what he creates this time...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Gerhard Berger

Hush wrote: And where is this Byrne floor? You would have thought that they would have tested it already in order to make adjustments should their be correlation issues. I'm starting to think that this magic floor and diffuser don't exist.
Well according to the guy on twitter, Byrne only finalised his plans for it around Christmas time, and it was tested in the wind tunnel the following month. Therefore the earliest they could produce it was in time for the final test.

f1316

Gerhard Berger wrote:
Hush wrote: And where is this Byrne floor? You would have thought that they would have tested it already in order to make adjustments should their be correlation issues. I'm starting to think that this magic floor and diffuser don't exist.
Well according to the guy on twitter, Byrne only finalised his plans for it around Christmas time, and it was tested in the wind tunnel the following month. Therefore the earliest they could produce it was in time for the final test.
Who's the guy on Twitter? Wouldn't mind having a look at his tweets.

Gerhard Berger

f1316 wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:
Who's the guy on Twitter? Wouldn't mind having a look at his tweets.
I think it was joseluisF1 - http://twitter.com/joseluisf1

You will need google translate. I don't know how reliable he is, but his tweets are interesting.

f1316

Gerhard Berger wrote:
I think it was joseluisF1 - http://twitter.com/joseluisf1

You will need google translate. I don't know how reliable he is, but his tweets are interesting.
My thanks again. Already found some interesting stuff... :D

i70q7m7ghw

So there's a rumor of a Fry/Byrne(Burn) floor that heats up/gets hot... this has got to be a joke...