Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Ferrari F2012

Don't worry about Fry/Domenicalli Tombazis has been a very quiet person, which means 9/10 he has been working hard on a solution/update.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Hail22 wrote:Don't worry about Fry/Domenicalli Tombazis has been a very quiet person, which means 9/10 he has been working hard on a solution/update.
Tombazis has been on very little sleep for months. He has been working very hard in an effort to get the F2012 up to par.

Back to the F2012, I posted this the other day and it didn't get any response. I find it interesting Fernando ran with a cooling outlet up top just past the step nose & Felipe didn't. Wonder what is special for Fernando's car that it needs more cooling? Of course I guess he could just want more cooling for himself, but interesting nonetheless.

Hail22

Well Ferrari were the ones who "Perfected" the F-Duct a few years back, i would not be surprised if its a more formalised rendition of it that would fall within regulation.
Last edited by Hail22 on 23 Apr 2012, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Hail22 wrote:Well Ferrari were the ones who invented the F-Duct a few years back, i would not be surprised if its a more formalised rendition of it that would fall within regulation.
you mean Mclaren, right?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Hail22 wrote:Well Ferrari were the ones who "Perfected" the F-Duct a few years back, i would not be surprised if its a more formalised rendition of it that would fall within regulation.
You mean Renault right?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Hail22

Owen.C93 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Well Ferrari were the ones who "Perfected" the F-Duct a few years back, i would not be surprised if its a more formalised rendition of it that would fall within regulation.
You mean Renault right?
I mean what I say, you can call it a fan point of view, then again during that time I was a young fan :P

However on topic, I think myself and Crucial your right there was a duct...but it doesn't look to me as a cooling duct.

I may be wrong!

Gilles Villeneuve

amouzouris

I made some sketches of my thoughts about a possible upgrade that ferrari could test for mugello...its a slightly modified version of the acer ducts...
I hope u get what i'm trying to show...it would be a kind of hybrid between the acer ducts and mclaren's bulges...the idea is to still have some room below the ducts as was the idea with both the acer ducts and mclaren's design but at the same time utilize the coanda effect which ferrari didnt take advantage of with their original design..they were just using the down-wash to deflect the exhaust plume...

(for those that will ask....the channels are not pointing to the tires..that was my mistake..i was just trying to imply that it will curve downwards just like the mclaren channels)

Arunas
Arunas

amouzouris wrote:I made some sketches of my thoughts about a possible upgrade that ferrari could test for mugello...its a slightly modified version of the acer ducts...
[img]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2246 ... on.jpg[img]
I hope u get what i'm trying to show...it would be a kind of hybrid between the acer ducts and mclaren's bulges...the idea is to still have some room below the ducts as was the idea with both the acer ducts and mclaren's design but at the same time utilize the coanda effect which ferrari didnt take advantage of with their original design..they were just using the down-wash to deflect the exhaust plume...

(for those that will ask....the channels are not pointing to the tires..that was my mistake..i was just trying to imply that it will curve downwards just like the mclaren channels)
And where hot air from radiators will go?
Last edited by Richard on 23 Apr 2012, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

akh270
akh270

If they opt for a Sauber/Macca solution, they will then use the "cannon" exit at the rear like every other team.

amouzouris

akh270 wrote:If they opt for a Sauber/Macca solution, they will then use the "cannon" exit at the rear like every other team.
yes u r right..i forgot to edit that....also they could have holes on the ducts next to the channels....kind of like where there are holes on the acer ducts now but the big circular outer holes would be occupied by the exhaust and the channels..

amouzouris

Arunas wrote:
amouzouris wrote:I made some sketches of my thoughts about a possible upgrade that ferrari could test for mugello...its a slightly modified version of the acer ducts...
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2246 ... lution.jpg

And where hot air from radiators will go?
it is just a rough sketch to express my thought...it is not supposed to be a race ready car...

banibhusan

akh270 wrote:If they opt for a Sauber/Macca solution, they will then use the "cannon" exit at the rear like every other team.
They brought a modified engine cover with the cannon like exit during the China weekend, but didnt test or race it. The image is already posted in this thread somewhere.

But they already have a 3rd radiator on top of the gearbox for it's cooling. I wonder whether that will remain there, or they will have to remove that to redirect the hot air through the cannon exit.

Any thoughts please??

akh270
akh270

I don't see why they'd have to remove it. But it all depends on the internal flow of the hot air under the engine cover and whether or not the top radiator will obstruct the flow from the sidepod radiators.

In my opinion I think the top radiator wont really matter with regards to the cannon exit.

aral
aral

Ferrari have just signed a new aerodynamicist, I think that you lost out! :P :P

But there seems to be little point in Ferrari just copying another team. It could help them, but then again, they bravely created a new concept, that hasn't worked fully at present, but who's to say it won't?

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Don't worry about Fry/Domenicalli Tombazis has been a very quiet person, which means 9/10 he has been working hard on a solution/update.
Tombazis has been on very little sleep for months. He has been working very hard in an effort to get the F2012 up to par.

Back to the F2012, I posted this the other day and it didn't get any response. I find it interesting Fernando ran with a cooling outlet up top just past the step nose & Felipe didn't. Wonder what is special for Fernando's car that it needs more cooling? Of course I guess he could just want more cooling for himself, but interesting nonetheless.
Out of interest, how did you find that out?