Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

gilgen wrote:
amouzouris wrote:I made some sketches of my thoughts about a possible upgrade that ferrari could test for mugello...its a slightly modified version of the acer ducts...

I hope u get what i'm trying to show...it would be a kind of hybrid between the acer ducts and mclaren's bulges...the idea is to still have some room below the ducts as was the idea with both the acer ducts and mclaren's design but at the same time utilize the coanda effect which ferrari didnt take advantage of with their original design..they were just using the down-wash to deflect the exhaust plume...

(for those that will ask....the channels are not pointing to the tires..that was my mistake..i was just trying to imply that it will curve downwards just like the mclaren channels)
Ferrari have just signed a new aerodynamicist, I think that you lost out! :P :P

But there seems to be little point in Ferrari just copying another team. It could help them, but then again, they bravely created a new concept, that hasn't worked fully at present, but who's to say it won't?
thank u!! :P

although it would be something like copying the macca....i think that to make the launch exhaust to work the need to take advantage of the coanda effect...which would make the acer ducts look a lot like the macca's bulges...so although it might not be copying if something like that happens i can already see the mclaren thread filling up with the same comments (Ferrari copied us):P

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote: thank u!! :P

although it would be something like copying the macca....i think that to make the launch exhaust to work the need to take advantage of the coanda effect...which would make the acer ducts look a lot like the macca's bulges...so although it might not be copying if something like that happens i can already see the mclaren thread filling up with the same comments (Ferrari copied us):P
They were using the Coanda Effect( and downwash) with the launch exhaust position. It just wasn't working like they intended & overheated the tyres. Maybe they have fixed it.

amouzouris

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
amouzouris wrote: thank u!! :P

They were using the Coanda Effect( and downwash) with the launch exhaust position. It just wasn't working like they intended & overheated the tyres. Maybe they have fixed it.
how were they using the coanda effect?? IIRC the exhausts were exiting at the very edge of the acer ducts with no bodywork bwlow them that would extend forward in order to use the coanda effect..
edit:
here u can barely see the exhaust...the were at the edge as i described above...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote: how were they using the coanda effect?? IIRC the exhausts were exiting at the very edge of the acer ducts with no bodywork bwlow them that would extend forward in order to use the coanda effect..
edit:

here u can barely see the exhaust...the were at the edge as i described above...
Look at this picture from Jerez. It's clear the extension on the exhaust pipe is for Coanda Effect.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 23 Apr 2012, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

In a way that is similar to how McLaren ran their initial testing spec exhausts - when the exhaust was still a "love handle" bulge, and it was already a slit, except the Ferrari put their exhaust in a "tail" rather than a bulge.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
amouzouris wrote: how were they using the coanda effect?? IIRC the exhausts were exiting at the very edge of the acer ducts with no bodywork bwlow them that would extend forward in order to use the coanda effect..
edit:

Look at this picture from Jerez. It's clear the extension on the exhaust pipe is for Coanda Effect.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/722/amzf1tec.jpg
yes u are right..i forgot about this...but wasnt that one of the quick patch ups they tried to do when they found out that the exhausts weren't working properly?? it didnt work out this way because it was development at the spot...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote: yes u are right..i forgot about this...but wasnt that one of the quick patch ups they tried to do when they found out that the exhausts weren't working properly?? it didnt work out this way because it was development at the spot...
Honestly, I'm not sure but I don't think so. Remember we saw the cut away Acer Duct when Whiting showed up. I think this is how the exhaust was brought to Jerez, we just couldn't see it until they cut part of the extension away for it to be declared legal. But that's just my opinion.

Here's what Domenicali & Fry had to say about it back then:

It would appear that McLaren’smethod is more powerful, as Ferrari’s tech director Pat Fryadmitted: “I think it’s the way to get the most downforce out of the current rules.” But as conceived on the Ferrari, this layout at Jerez worked very well briefly, but would then overheat the tyres. So for Barcelona the team had changed to an original Red Bull RB8-like system, in the full knowledge that its potential was lower, but as the only feasible stop-gap to keep the rear tyres alive.

“We had to change,” said Domenicali, “even if I certainly was not happy about it. We are still working on the original set-up, but we will be unable to test it until the Mugello test at the beginning of May. We believe it could give us a good performance advantage"

amouzouris

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
amouzouris wrote: yes u are right..i forgot about this...but wasnt that one of the quick patch ups they tried to do when they found out that the exhausts weren't working properly?? it didnt work out this way because it was development at the spot...
Honestly, I'm not sure but I don't think so. Remember we saw the cut away Acer Duct when Whiting showed up. I think this is how the exhaust was brought to Jerez, we just couldn't see it until they cut part of the extension away for it to be declared legal. But that's just my opinion.

Here's what Domenicali & Fry had to say about it back then:

It would appear that McLaren’smethod is more powerful, as Ferrari’s tech director Pat Fryadmitted: “I think it’s the way to get the most downforce out of the current rules.” But as conceived on the Ferrari, this layout at Jerez worked very well briefly, but would then overheat the tyres. So for Barcelona the team had changed to an original Red Bull RB8-like system, in the full knowledge that its potential was lower, but as the only feasible stop-gap to keep the rear tyres alive.

“We had to change,” said Domenicali, “even if I certainly was not happy about it. We are still working on the original set-up, but we will be unable to test it until the Mugello test at the beginning of May. We believe it could give us a good performance advantage"

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1949 ... austmh.jpg
u might be right mate!! i thought that that was just a quick fix they tried to do when they saw the mclaren but u might be right...anyway..we are just speculating here...lets hope the mugello and spain updates work...im aching to see ferrari do well again...and the avatar we both have to win the WDC..im very hopefull i know!!

Richard
Richard

Hi guys

Now that we're over the rush of the race weekend I've had a chance to do some housekeeping.

There have been some really good contributions about potential Ferrari developments and what they might test at Mugello. However, these bits are not on the car yet ... you can guess where this is heading ...

The speculative posts are in the team talk thread :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12096

I'd like to add moderating is normally a bit disheartening, we read stuff that has descended into a morass and wonder how to knock it back in line.This time however it has been a joy, the posts are constructive, thank you. :D

I've now got to deal with two threads for silver teams that seem to be a magnet for negative posts. Will save that for lunchtime. :?

Richard

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Ferrari Technical Updates

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 26 Apr 2012, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

alogoc
alogoc

so modified sidepods and ACER duct it is then!
anyone dares to do a sketch maybe???
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

amouzouris

alogoc wrote:so modified sidepods and ACER duct it is then!
well...that's what i tried to do on the previous page...

alogoc
alogoc

amouzouris wrote:
alogoc wrote:so modified sidepods and ACER duct it is then!
well...that's what i tried to do on the previous page...
yes! i think all rumors together your solution is very possible!!!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

F1.Ru

Here are some pic from Bahrain where u can clearly see the radiator and cooling arrangement with sidepod of Ferrari.............. Right Click> View Image

And Ferrari's cooling hole which only feature in Alonso's car not in massa's car

Ferrari's Unique Wheel Rim design that helps in faster pit stop.....

*NB: Jason/Crucial Xtream i don't see the hole in front of the rear tyre that u r talking earlier, though u post a pic with those Sauber like hole but notice they r not present here [see just 2 pic above u will certainly don't find them]......... :roll:

Acer Ducts and Vertical fin.......

And in the last the internal KERS cooling Rads which is a hot topics recently [for inducing DRAG]........ :lol:

Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

F1.Ru wrote: *NB: Jason/Crucial Xtream i don't see the hole in front of the rear tyre that u r talking earlier, though u post a pic with those Sauber like hole but notice they r not present here [see just 2 pic above u will certainly don't find them]......... :roll:

All of the pictures you've posted have been posted already.

As for the holes in front of the rear tyre, were a last minute adjustment to the car. The picture below is from the Bahrain GP. Roll your eyes all you want. The pictures you posted, that were posted days ago, were taken the first 2 days, not on Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

Original Picture

You can see the slots here clearly IN THE RACE