Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kebab

Re: Ferrari F2012

Afterburner wrote:From those images it seems pretty obvious reb bull is carrying more front wing and less rear wing compared to the ferrari, is ferrari top speed problem related to using more wing or is his aero naturally draggy?
It's understandable if Ferrari ran more rear wing than the Bulls as the later can generate more DF from its diffuser. On the drag front, for sure more wing means more drag but as far as I remember Ferrari has higher top speed than RedBull in Bahrain.

hardingfv32

Afterburner wrote:From those images it seems pretty obvious reb bull is carrying more front wing ....
With the current front wings it is impossible to make any visual judgments about down-force and drag between cars.

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme

This is a comparison of the Ferrari wheel nuts vs McLaren's. But it gives a good look into the new Ferrari wheel nut system. The guys have done a good job coming up with their version of this system and it's obviously helped tremendously.

All images & content are via F1Technical member Matt Somers and his blog

Ferrari have 3 threads & McLaren have 5 which are much closer together.

They work like so:

Step 1 - Place wheel over the shaft, as the wheel goes over the shaft the pins retract into the shaft, once the wheel is on the pins snap back.
Step 2 - With the pins in the out position the wheel is aligned to the thread and cross threading becomes impossible (Unless a retracting pin fails)
Step 3 - Wheel Gun man places the gun on which isn't impeded by the retracting pins as they only reach the outer edge of the wheel nut race.
Step 4 - Quicker stop due to less time on the gun with less threads to turn

Original article can be found HERE

flyboy2160

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:This is a comparison of the Ferrari wheel nuts vs McLaren's. But it gives a good look into the new Ferrari wheel nut system. The guys have done a good job coming up with their version of this system and it's obviously helped tremendously.

crucial, sorry, i'm not buying 'tremendous' help. for starters, i see 3 threads on the ferrari and 4 on the mclaren (and others shown). the time to turn 1 more thread is miniscule.

the real advantage of the coarser pitch ferrari threads is the reduced chance of cross threading. but like all engineering designs, there's no free lunch: the coarser threads have a corresponding lower mechanical advantage in holding the wheel on. and the stump must be longer and thus weigh a tiny bit more.

so, some help in reducing cross threading, but at the cost of greater torque required for the same clamping force and a tiny bit more unsprung weight. you pay your money and you take your choice.

thisisatest

besides the coarser thread, the valleys of the thread are much wider than the peaks. that alone would decrease the risk of cross-threading.

Chuckjr

flyboy2160 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:This is a comparison of the Ferrari wheel nuts vs McLaren's. But it gives a good look into the new Ferrari wheel nut system. The guys have done a good job coming up with their version of this system and it's obviously helped tremendously.

crucial, sorry, i'm not buying 'tremendous' help. for starters, i see 3 threads on the ferrari and 4 on the mclaren (and others shown). the time to turn 1 more thread is miniscule.

the real advantage of the coarser pitch ferrari threads is the reduced chance of cross threading. but like all engineering designs, there's no free lunch: the coarser threads have a corresponding lower mechanical advantage in holding the wheel on. and the stump must be longer and thus weigh a tiny bit more.

so, some help in reducing cross threading, but at the cost of greater torque required for the same clamping force and a tiny bit more unsprung weight. you pay your money and you take your choice.
Ummmmm. Would you like to compare Macca pit stop times compared to Ferrari?

Are you even watching the races?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as this design is VASTLY superior. I suggest you watch Hamiltons pit stops this season if you don't understand.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Italiano

That Mclaren system is just begging to get crossthreaded. Look those puny threads as opposed to the Ferrari solution.

No doubt that Ferraris solution will soon be used at Mclaren...
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

xpensive

SchumacherM wrote:That Mclaren system is just begging to get crossthreaded. Look those puny threads as opposed to the Ferrari solution.

No doubt that Ferraris solution will soon be used at Mclaren...
Agreed, but not only that, the larger diameter and much finer pitch will create an enormous friction and heat if the gun is running at 14 kRpm. Even worse, if it's true that the hub is Ti and nut in Al, I find it begging for surface damage and galling?

But this is perhaps OT, when that discussion has its own thread, but those brutally disclosing images were indeed here.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

alogoc

@F1enigma Its reported that Ferrari will bring revised sidepods, front wing/nose and exhausts at Mugello. No new front suspension and no new chassis
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Chuckjr

If Ferrari gets their car working well, the anti pull-rod front suspension guys in this forum will be performing some serious tap dancing acts...
Watching F1 since 1986.

evered7

I have been following this site for quite sometime and got myself registered to it sometime back to further enlighten myself about the technical side of F1.

Considering that the running order is already established (almost), will the team sand bag or will they show us the full potential of their car with upgrades?

I believe that we might not see the real pace of the car and the team might use a heavily fueled car to mask any performance gains which were due to the upgrade.

If that is the case, is it going to be another round of 'guess who got it right' or is there any factors which will help determine the improvements made by the teams?

Anybody going to Mugello to check the testing live from the track side?

Chuckjr

evered7 wrote:Considering that the running order is already established (almost), will the team sand bag or will they show us the full potential of their car with upgrades?

I believe that we might not see the real pace of the car and the team might use a heavily fueled car to mask any performance gains which were due to the upgrade.
Really? I don't think anyone knows who's on top. Macca is showing real weakness in race pace. RB is clearly getting it right more each race. Same with Lotus. Merc is a complete inigma. And Ferrari have a real shot of gaining time next week. I don't think anyone can say any one team is on top or even semi dominating. Though there seems to be a consensus here that the major teams all have a good sum of time to find except Macca.

The pre season antics of sandbagging (if they occurred at all) are over. Everyone is balls out now to find speed in every aspect and silly feigning techniques will only hinder forward progress at this point. Every tenth now counts more than ever. It appears we are about to see some of the best F1 developments and track action in decades. Nobody has the keys to the kingdom yet. Not even close!
Watching F1 since 1986.

Crucial_Xtreme

flyboy2160 wrote:

I disagree, I think there's 5 threads on the McLaren. Also other teams have 5 or more, so we're not comparing only against McLaren, the article only chose one team. I do agree the size and space of the threads is helping out for sure on them not getting crossed and only 3 revolutions compared to 5 or 6 is a difference. Ferrari clearly has a time advantage in comparison to other teams regarding pit stop times.

People always criticize Ferrari for not innovating and always copying others. Here they used an existing design and made it better. Just a small thing that gives large gains. It shows Ferrari is trying to improve in areas where it is/was behind and is making progress at doing so.

F1.Ru

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: I disagree, I think there's 5 threads on the McLaren. Also other teams have 5 or more, so we're not comparing only against McLaren, the article only chose one team. I do agree the size and space of the threads is helping out for sure on them not getting crossed and only 3 revolutions compared to 5 or 6 is a difference. Ferrari clearly has a time advantage in comparison to other teams regarding pit stop times.

People always criticize Ferrari for not innovating and always copying others. Here they used an existing design and made it better. Just a small thing that gives large gains. It shows Ferrari is trying to improve in areas where it is/was behind and is making progress at doing so.
Ya X2 i think u r absolutely right, caz upto now i saw a lot of pic of wheel rim and wheel fastening component in other car but it seems only Ferrari is using 3 threaded design in comparing with like Red Bull or Macca or Mercedes's 5 or More threaded design . It is also noted that despite not using helium as primary gas for wheel gun Ferrari make them pretty stronger and make them fast which is a marvelous achievement for me. Caz everybody have to remember that they were way behind Macca/Merce/Redbull in this regards last year, but this year they not only overcome those problem rather able to put avg. fastest pit stop time in 2 races. So have a big smile on ur face..... :D
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Forza

Ferrari's 'Nut in Wheel system with 3 threads clearly has its advantages With more powerful wheel guns and only 3 revolutions (6 in total per change)that clearly brings time gain at pit stops. Larger threads have lower probability of cross-threading. Also I presume that changing the wheel rims supplier was also crucial part. The important thing is that systems seems to be reliable.

@xpensive: Perhaps their hub only uses Ti coating.