Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1.Ru

Re: Ferrari F2012

Autosport
Autosport just said that the full package of developments for Ferrari - which are believed to include new exhaust configurations as well as sidepod and bodywork tweaks – are not expected to be ready until the Spanish GP.

The team said it will use the first two days to carry out exhaust solutions comparisons and that it will introduce 'more significant updates' on the final day.

and i think that Ferrari's decision to test some new things at Spain is based on the following reason...........
Mugelllo's high-speed nature is not typical of many F1 venues – with its set-up and aerodynamic demands only really relevant for tracks like Silverstone and Suzuka. In particular it lacks the slow speed turns that are so typical of forthcoming races in Monaco, Canada and Valencia.

Full Article is on:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99269
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

f1316

amouzouris wrote:i think that they should test upgrades extensively to learn how they work....not plugging 10 upgrades on the car and gain 0.500s but without having any clue how they work...if they learn how they work they might be able to extract another 0.250 for example...if u get what i mean! :D
I agree with this. It's imperative, I believe, that they fix the exhaust and related areas of the car above all others and to dedicate the time to getting this right is clearly necessary. Doing proper back to back testing with different exhaust solutions is a time heavy activity and not something that could be done properly at a race weekend (correct me if I'm wrong), so it's actually a good use of the test.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that if they fix the exhaust they will also have fixed the sidepods (possibly drag depending on which solutuion they choose), be able to run more rake, less wing, higher top speed, and so this carries a lot of beenfits. But essentially this is about fixing the fundamentals of the car before they start bolting on new bits.

elFranZ

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
elFranZ wrote: Sorry, but I don't buy it.
Ferrari still lacks in WT and CFD compared to other top teams, so they'll have to squeeze every single second in Mugello trying the many updates they can, hoping it works immediately. Otherwise the season is gone.
They've always been good in track-testing, so enough with rumors, we're a few hours from the truth.
Ferrari has said they will use the first two days at Mugello to compare exhaust solutions and that it will introduce 'more significant updates' on the final day.
And that is perfectly sensed. First, you try the major updates and make extensive comparisons, then refine the rest of the package according to the previous results. And everything must be done in just three days.

marcush.

design of Experiment anyone?

you don´t have to check everything to know where to go .You need to know what you expect and develop a matrix of combined
testing of several parts of the car .As long as everything matches your theory you can get an awful lot of work done with very little physical testing.

Chuckjr

Crucial Extreme I'm dying buddy. Where are those lovely pics of the car you seem to always magically provide a few hours before the world sees what's happening in the Ferrari garage. [-o<
Watching F1 since 1986.

f300v10

Crucial_Xtreme wrote: Ferrari has said they will use the first two days at Mugello to compare exhaust solutions and that it will introduce 'more significant updates' on the final day.
Rain is very much in the forecast for Day 1. If they are doing exhaust comparisons, I assume that means a lot of constant speed runs to check downforce levels and verify component temperatures. How much if any impact will rain cause for that type of testing? I would think it would be minimal impact for downforce measurements as long as the rain is not flooding the track. It may impact the ability to use flow visualization paint though.

f300v10

The F1fanatic website has an interesting article that compares the performance of this years F1 cars by looking at the percentage each car is slower than the fastest race lap at each race. That is not always a valid comparison, as some times the fastest lap is effected by a late change for tires. That said it does offer an interesting look at Ferrari's performance over the last 3 seasons:

"The raw data of Ferrari’s recent decline makes for startling reading. They were 0.48% off the pace in 2010, 0.83% off last year, and 1.5% off in the first four races of 2012."

Crucial_Xtreme

Pic of engine cover in Mugello. This is the old engine cover. Expect new one on Wednesday. But tomorrow should be different exhaust position to the one that's been used the past 4 GP's.

@f300v10 Fernando said rain is expected tomorrow but that it should not affect the teams program. :)

Lca1443

f300v10 wrote:The F1fanatic website has an interesting article that compares the performance of this years F1 cars by looking at the percentage each car is slower than the fastest race lap at each race. That is not always a valid comparison, as some times the fastest lap is effected by a late change for tires. That said it does offer an interesting look at Ferrari's performance over the last 3 seasons:

"The raw data of Ferrari’s recent decline makes for startling reading. They were 0.48% off the pace in 2010, 0.83% off last year, and 1.5% off in the first four races of 2012."
Wouldn't a more accurate gauge be average total time in to finish the race? This year especially it is so tire dependent.

Lycoming

Lca1443 wrote:
Wouldn't a more accurate gauge be average total time in to finish the race? This year especially it is so tire dependent.
Perhaps, but there are a lot more variables in that situation, such as pit stops, traffic and varying track conditions.

banibhusan

Latest from Mugello. :)

enz0

Nothing new it seems, except maybe for those black abu dhabi sponsored stalks that hold the front wing, other than that they might be getting baselines.

banibhusan

This pic is from the installation lap. We might see the updates (if they are visible enough) later in the day.

lombers

I still like the look of this car, can't wait to see what updates Ferrari slap on it for this test :)

Italiano

It's only logical that they establih a baseline of performance and various figures and then slap on the upgrades.

Oh and damn it, Ferrari should paint more of the car black, that looks AWESOME! :D

Oh yeah, sod the Santander white..
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules