Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
McMrocks

Re: Ferrari F2012

i think the slots in the fw reduce the downforce, right?
but it reduces stalling

edit: very small and simple end plates

amouzouris

McMrocks wrote:i think the slots in the fw reduce the downforce, right?
but it reduces stalling
yes...u r right on that...it will reduce peak downforce but make the wing less likely to stall...that's why in monaco we see cars getting rid of most of the slots in search for more downforce that monaco requires!

Nando

amouzouris wrote:it will create downforce...its like the leading edge of the rear wing

edit: it would create lift if it was alone there without the rest of the wing behind it...i hope u get what i mean
Ok great so that part will indeed create lift but due to the whole wing that small percentage of lift will be offset by the downforce percentage.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

It's a synergistic effect I think. On its own that small element will create lift. On its own the parts behind it will create downforce. But add them together as such and you'll have more downforce than you'd have with the parts behind it will, alone.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

McMrocks

Nando wrote:
amouzouris wrote:it will create downforce...its like the leading edge of the rear wing

edit: it would create lift if it was alone there without the rest of the wing behind it...i hope u get what i mean
Ok great so that part will indeed create lift but due to the whole wing that small percentage of lift will be offset by the downforce percentage.
i guess that the guys from ferrari know what they do. i think you dont need a wing with much downforce but with much(many?) stalling

MIKEY_!

Why are they using a heat gun (I think that's what this is :wtf: )on the suspension bits??? I can't be that cold in Mugello can it???

Anyway I have been thinking that Ferrari might consider lowering and extending the Acer ducts to the floor rather than removing them. That creates a bridge like the old RB8 sidepods but with more volume underneath so they would work better.

Nando

McMrocks wrote:i guess that the guys from ferrari know what they do. i think you dont need a wing with much downforce but with much(many?) stalling
There´s most definitely a purpose for the design. Possibly to create vortex?
Or guide the air in a more focused way to the outside of wheel?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

italian

Autosprint article about new Ferrari exhaust http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formula_1 ... i+scarichi Guys it's in Italian!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Daniele M

MIKEY_! wrote:Image

Why are they using a heat gun (I think that's what this is :wtf: )on the suspension bits??? I can't be that cold in Mugello can it???

Anyway I have been thinking that Ferrari might consider lowering and extending the Acer ducts to the floor rather than removing them. That creates a bridge like the old RB8 sidepods but with more volume underneath so they would work better.
Maybe some water went in that place and they need to remove it.
About the cold, today is not hot in italy, at mugello there should be 15-17°C.

Autosprint.it says that the new exhausts points downward, but at the moment they are causing some problems.

Crucial_Xtreme

Daniele M wrote: Maybe some water went in that place and they need to remove it.
About the cold, today is not hot in italy, at mugello there should be 15-17°C.

Autosprint.it says that the new exhausts points downward, but at the moment they are causing some problems.
It doesn't say the exhaust are specifically the problem. It says they're pointing down/exhaust going down and mechanics are looking on the floor. It just says problems. They allude to the fact it may be causing problems. may be. :)

enz0

New exhausts might be burning the floor or the rear suspension

Crucial_Xtreme

Very weird because this exhaust is illegal

via @antonioboselli

italian

Regarding the Alonso's stop: he was asked to stop the car to avoid damages.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

elFranZ

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Very weird because this exhaust is illegal

[i/mg]https://p.twimg.com/ArzP9gJCIAAZGMg.jpg[/img]
via @antonioboselli
The photos you posted earlier clearly show a different angle. Here the exhaust is pointing directly to the floor... Couldn't it be just temporally disassembled?

Crucial_Xtreme

elFranZ wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Very weird because this exhaust is illegal

[i/mg]https://p.twimg.com/ArzP9gJCIAAZGMg.jpg[/img]
via @antonioboselli
The photos you posted earlier clearly show a different angle. Here the exhaust is pointing directly to the floor... Couldn't it be just temporally disassembled?
It is testing. Maybe they are testing how much heat the floor can withstand.