Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Ferrari F2012

Pat ChipFryer has spoken to someone about this weekend...and of possible rear downforce updates?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21052012/ ... g-way.html
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

I don't think they're updates per se, but rather the usual "Monaco Special" that everyone brings, bolting on as much downforce as everyone can. We'll have monkey seats, symian sofas, cuscus couches... you name it.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Teechnical

The car's front end downforce (for turn in/cornering) is better or that the rear downforce (better for corner exit/easier to drive)
Correct?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Dream Theater

Hi guys, yesterday I posted two pictures of the F2012's rear brake ducts. I think it may be interesting, especially if we consider that there aren't much clear images of the rear brake ducts.
Give it a look: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11778&start=4455
Last edited by Dream Theater on 22 May 2012, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

amouzouris

Dream Theater wrote:Hi guys, yesterday I posted two footage of the F2012's rear brake ducts. I think it may be interesting, if we consider that there aren't much clear images of the rear brake ducts.
Give it a look: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11778&start=4470#p345815
those large vanes added which are next to the tire...except from flow conditioning and some drag reduction because air flow wont be experiencing that much friction against the moving tire surface... it also looks like they are trying to protect the tire sidewall from something..possibly for the revisited exhaust solution?? maybe to protect the tire from overheating?

vlado09

Teechnical wrote:The car's front end downforce (for turn in/cornering) is better or that the rear downforce (better for corner exit/easier to drive)
Correct?
Negative.Ferrari said the problem is the traction exit slow corners so that more rear downforce will be better.

jaba.hut

Traction out of slow corners is more rear pull rod suspension issue then aero issue.

Redragon

jaba.hut wrote:Traction out of slow corners is more rear pull rod suspension issue then aero issue.
Jaba.hut you are really challenging X.. to brake his silence. :lol:

Teechnical

Then it must be that Ferrari's rear pull rod suspension is flawed, correct? Since other teams like Redbull don't seem to suffer from it. Or it can be that it doesn't suit Ferrari. Idk :(

Richard

Please continue the pull rod debates this way please .... :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9345&start=570

Discussion of speed and lap times in Barcelona are in the Barcelona thread. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12597

As Mx said - "Development facts or bust. :) "

Teechnical

Last question for today folks. Does the engine cover have a hole that blows the diffuser?

Nando

It´s funny to see Fry being identical in his approach from the start of the season and now with one win, one second place and leading the championship (yes yes i know)
Looking ahead, Fry said that more developments were planned over the next few races – including new aerodynamic parts for Canada and a fresh push on exhaust designs.

"[For Monaco] we have a few more small updates that will bring some more downforce to the car, but the interesting thing [there] is how each car uses its tyres," said Fry.

"It is going to be a constant drive for updating, like everyone does these days. We have a different rear wing and front wing package for Canada, which is a slightly different downforce level.

"And then we are working on the exhaust system. There will be versions of that that we will test. We learned a lot at the start of the year in understanding the problems we had from that, and we had another go at Mugello.

"We have a good understanding, but the performance... we are just trying to put it on the car as quickly as we can. It will be a constant drive all the way through the season."
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Crucial_Xtreme

Dream Theater wrote:!

As my first contribute, I post two footage of the new F2012's rear brake ducts, taken from my Barcelona GP recording.
Unfortunately, this is the best I could find, bacause, I know that there aren't many images of the rear brake ducts.

I hope it will be useful anyway.
Benvenuto nel forum amico! This is one of the better pictures of the new rear brake ducts. Definitely Red Bull inspired. The main vertical deflector makes the bottom wishbone look almost deformed. The very top of the brake duct looks almost like a carbon copy of the RB style. Interesting horizontal winglet by bottom wishbone. It looks like the duct size may be smaller than before.

In the 2nd picture you can clearly see the low slung caliper and the stepped cutout in the floor. Interesting the vertical vane doesn't make it's way back to the wishbone mounts.

Grazie for the pictures of the brake ducts. There aren't many good ones around.

Dream Theater

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Grazie for the pictures of the brake ducts. There aren't many good ones around.
Grazie a te per il benvenuto. :)

Today I was reviewing the whole Bracelona GP, and as soon as I saw the brake ducts I tought that would have been a great idea to save some pictures and post them on f1technical.

I'm glad that you all liked these images! :D
Last edited by Dream Theater on 22 May 2012, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

amouzouris

As i promised as soon as the rear brake duct photos emerged (thanks to Dream Theater) i made drawings of them!

In the first drawing you can see the brake caliper (highlighted yellow) mounted horizontally at the bottom...this helps with a lower center of gravity but makes it harder to cool the brakes...red bull experienced problems in 2010 with their calipers mounted like this..

Highlighted below are the two fins one vertical and one horizontal just above the lower wishbone for flow conditioning:

the inlet of the new brake ducts is found between the large vertical fin and the tire sidewall... it is quite smaller than the previous one... also highlighted on the side is the outlet for the hot air to exit:

below you can see the airflow in the rear brake ducts as i can imagine it: