Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

amouzouris wrote:As i promised as soon as the rear brake duct photos emerged (thanks to Dream Theater) i made drawings of them!

In the first drawing you can see the brake caliper (highlighted yellow) mounted horizontally at the bottom...this helps with a lower center of gravity but makes it harder to cool the brakes...red bull experienced problems in 2010 with their calipers mounted like this..
Z with the one picture he posted & this one below you should be able to come up with a good pic of the top of the ducts no? Top element ala RB.

amouzouris

actually it would be kinda hard because the upright is in the way but ill give it a shot!

bhall

Strap on your tin foil hat, because I'm about to unleash another one of my dumbass ideas/notions.

Could you eject hot gasses through a suspension member to combat the instability associated with tire squirt?

(Click to enlarge)

EDIT: "No, dummy, because you'd bake the brakes."

Lycoming

That monkey seat looks smaller than previous examples, or is it just me?

Robbobnob

to be fair vbhall I think the brakes would be ohk, bearing in mind that they routinely reach temps ~ 800 - 1000 degrees centigrade, that baking wouldn't be the problem. In fact at tracks like Spa or Monaco where the brakes suffer temperature loss over sections of the track, the exhaust could be used to keep the temp up.

You would probably fall foul of using the exhaust plume for aero gain though not to mention increase the thermal loading on a critical suspension member made of a composite.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Teechnical

Lycoming wrote:That monkey seat looks smaller than previous examples, or is it just me?

Perhaps its the new angle of the beam wing.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

bhall

Robbobnob wrote:to be fair vbhall I think the brakes would be ohk, bearing in mind that they routinely reach temps ~ 800 - 1000 degrees centigrade, that baking wouldn't be the problem. In fact at tracks like Spa or Monaco where the brakes suffer temperature loss over sections of the track, the exhaust could be used to keep the temp up.

You would probably fall foul of using the exhaust plume for aero gain though not to mention increase the thermal loading on a critical suspension member made of a composite.
Good points. I think the regulation barring the re-ingestion of exhaust gasses would, indeed, come into play.

Coincidentally, could you cool the brakes in such a manner? I imagine removing the scoop would be beneficial, and ducting air via a control arm or two would seem to be perfectly legit within the regulations.

FakeAlonso

amouzouris

TRANSLATION:
Among the innovations to the red of Alonso and Massa more robust suspension and steering modified

Just look at this track in order to understand the unmatched: • three hundred and three kilometers to meters without a soul of a king. Spiro. The pilots must have the highest concentration • even the smallest mistake here is it pays dear. Zero escape routes: If you put the net post mote ° It looked wrong to crash into. rail and (almost) guaranteed. DNA located pistacosi necessary • • Driving Machine motto able and Reanne. A circuit 05u ° cinadino no affront; Cumulative receipts in tune like you would on a normal circuit ° - sub.
tolinea it's technical director. Ferrari, Pat Fry-motto because the barriers are close to the runway, both inbound and doors • ta,
Monaco Monad as required. septa and tricks panic ° • Ian. The first goal obtained. nereil Venica maximum load. the. costiquelche costs in terms. tions of efficiency: It is so counter to what we and the orientation of the great prizes. Thus solutions with maximum impact and prevalence of a dinner at the rear axle to ensure optimal mo-tricity. fundamental re-emerged at most of the slow corners. I: delta angle steering clone increased (from 14 'of-
We move on to the other tracks 22 ') so as to make the circle pit) and immediate breast. sible is not otherwise able to do it the thews hairpin that is tackled in the first 47 kWh.
Is changed to an unstressed swiftness ground (solita. mind alravantreno 20 and 60 mm at the rear) combined with a softer suspension to ensure a better motridta sulk and bumps out of the corners. Piit also took great brakes. also here at the expense delrefficien. za aerodynamics because if the true and the veleta are not very high unless alruscita the tunnel and therefore are not violent and braking as Mon. to treat and Mon.
You brake for za ° costantemen-you and therefore there is no time (to cool the kidneys.
The roue alloi Ferrari - Fry says avremodei peak-to-liaggiomamenti adds. King downforce. " What is. We have tried to illustrate the design know-pra: I) the ailerons and rear anwriori mann ° maximum impact with slight novelty to liven ° forms for much re. looks at the flap over the GP of Spain, 2) Ie suspension ver. Ranno strengthened to limit the damage in slight touch with. but especially against the guardrail. as said. will be increased rangolo Steering inevitable bill changes the shape of triangles. Will; the native May giorate took the brake 3) the low speed cooling creates no problems. To solve. verb there are two solutions: au. mentare the scope of the relief vent or adopt a central tip ° Red Bull (4) already used in the past season; 5) There may be alterations in the profiles of the wing postetiore. Gomm Another fatter ° in this. management's race will be rubber. Me. In a race where three know. Ste is considered the norm - Fry concludes - the ability of the pilot pub consemre the rear tires also allow only two hunger. To do this we must also not the 'from the wall to put in conditions to run out of the traffic-co. Taking the front, therefore, simplifies life

Not the most accurate but the best google can do...

edit: actually it is pretty useless...u can hardly understand anything..
Last edited by amouzouris on 23 May 2012, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

alogoc

What does "more robust suspension" mean?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

amouzouris

alogoc wrote:What does "more robust suspension" mean?
robust means very strong....so they made the suspension stronger to compensate for the slightly taller curbs the cars will be hitting all the time...

Gridlock

Massa gets another race

mx_tifoso

From the latest Piola article in Italian that FakeAlonso provided I'll translate the main points:

The first two paragraphs go on about the usual DF requirements and that efficiency (drag) isn't a priority due to the nature of the circuit. Wing angles go from the average 14 degrees to 22.

Third paragraph goes into the suspension, stating that is softened and the ride height is increased; 20mm front and 60mm rear. And while the speeds are not as great, there is less time for the brakes to cool down within each lap.

Last paragraph and graphics at the bottom;
  • 1. Maximum angleofttack for downforce and updates to the shapes of the flaps.

2. Strengthened suspension.

3. Increased venting around exhausts due to cooling requirements.

4. Perhaps a RBR style central hot air exhaust.

5. Perhaps a change to the RW profile.
These are all as expected, of course.

amouzouris wrote:
robust means very strong....so they made the suspension stronger to compensate for the slightly taller curbs the cars will be hitting all the time...
I'll go out on a limb and assume he knows the literal meaning of "robust", but is wondering how the suspension is technically strengthened? My guess is changing (strengthening) the parts where buckling or snapping is most likely to occur, mainly around the uprights. But yet leaving the dimensions of the arms and rods alone.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Hemsy

Monaco is all about traction and we know that Ferrari have improved significantly in this department since the Barcelona updates. Couple with this the fact that Ferrari have not had the fluctuations in performance caused by being unable to get the tires to work like other teams & I would say that they are looking good for a podium in Monaco.

Teechnical

Hemsy wrote:Monaco is all about traction and we know that Ferrari have improved significantly in this department since the Barcelona updates. Couple with this the fact that Ferrari have not had the fluctuations in performance caused by being unable to get the tires to work like other teams & I would say that they are looking good for a podium in Monaco.
you can also add the fact that since Monaco is a more or less driver's skill circuit, and you have someone like Fernando Alonso in your team, definite podium possible.

Btw, can anyone tell me whether there was a change in the sidepods in Barcelona, it looks to me that it is sloping downwards even more.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.