Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mx_tifoso

Re: Ferrari F2012

Monaco FP1

Why is the acer duct exhaust made out of so many pieces? Wouldn't it be better if the back half was one whole piece? Then they could just swap out the smaller front pieces as needed with different cooling gills.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PlatinumZealot

Easier to manufacture that way since the side pod mold is one big monolithic piece with no holes.

On to more serious matters; this picture caught my attention. Very nice underwear!

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Vanja #66

n smikle wrote:Easier to manufacture that way since the side pod mold is one big monolithic piece with no holes.
On to more serious matters; this picture caught my attention. Very nice underwear!
I really didn't want to bring this up, but it's blowing my brains out... :lol:

Just when I thought they are getting serious - this! :D

Why? I'd really like to now this one...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

italian

Today we have seen two different configurations for the mirrors:

Massa:

Alonso:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

mx_tifoso

I thought the different mirrors set-ups appeared in Barcelona or even Mugello(?), with the reason being that Massa needed taller stalks to improve visibility.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall

The FloVis on the rear wing and the use of a non-Monaco-spec front wing make me wonder if they're having issues with rear downforce.

amouzouris

the arguments about ferrari's front pull rods have been going on for so long, that i decided to do my own analysis on the subject...you'll be surprised

below are the angles of the top and lower wishbones (yellow) and of the pull rod (red) of the front suspension on the F2012:

below, i gave the suspension 5 degrees of travel and the measured the length change on the pull rod...there was a +5% change...so the pull rod would be pulled at about 5% of its length...and if we assume that its length is 1 unit the extension would be 0.05 units....

now..when i come to last years suspension, the suspension on the 150 Italia..here are the angles again:

then i also gave the suspension on the Italia 5 degrees of travel and measured the length change of the pushrod....and there was only 3% decrease in its length (it should decrease because it is getting pushed inside) ...BUT....the pushrod is 36% longer so if we consider the pull rod as 1 unit of length as above...the length of the pushrod is 1.36 units....despite it being longer though the length of the pushrod being pushed inside is only 0.04 units...

so based on my results not only do the pullrods function as they should..but they might even be functioning just a tiny little bit better..giving better damping assuming the rockers are the same...so what i found is what Scarbs said from the beginning...it is not the angle of the push/pull rod compared to the horizontal that matters but the angle compared to the wishbones... in addition there is also the aerodynamic gain that Fry has been saying the pullrods give...

i know that the matter is not as simple as i made it...but my results are interesting none the less...is that right X?? :D

Owen.C93

Great analysis. Nice bit of CofG improvement as well.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

timbo

amouzouris wrote:i know that the matter is not as simple as i made it...but my results are interesting none the less...is that right X?? :D
Made same estimate about 200 pages back...

amouzouris

timbo wrote:
amouzouris wrote:i know that the matter is not as simple as i made it...but my results are interesting none the less...is that right X?? :D
oh really? how did i miss that? i just thought i could try to analyse it a bit...and see what X thinks about it...can u give me the link to ur analysis? id really like to read it!

timbo

amouzouris wrote:
timbo wrote:
oh really? how did i miss that? i just thought i could try to analyse it a bit...and see what X thinks about it...can u give me the link to ur analysis? id really like to read it!
Not much of an analysis -- just estimated displacements based on some animated graphs posted somewhere
Here it is anyway
viewtopic.php?p=329728#p329728

--------------------------------

Mod edit:

There are also 39 pages on the topic in its own little thread... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9345&view=unread#unread

We'd rather keep this thread focussed on developments of the F2012 and let the eternal pull rod debate continue in its own thread.
Last edited by Richard on 25 May 2012, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ref to pull rod thread

Mesteño

italian wrote:Today we have seen two different configurations for the mirrors:

Massa:

Alonso:

This might explain differences in world championship.

amouzouris

amouzouris wrote:
timbo wrote:
oh ok! so we are basically validating each other..

muelte

italian wrote:Today we have seen two different configurations for the mirrors:

Massa:

Alonso:
Could be the angle, but in those pics it seems Massa is not using the additional cooling openings in the sidepods, which Fernando is using...

Mesteño

Im pretty sure he's using them, just the angle