Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

markp

Any comparison pics to Canada exhaust. I am putting this down to angle of picture but the undercut at the front of the sidepod seems larger. Is this just the angle. Anyone got comparison pictures to line up sixe by side?

alogoc

markp wrote:Any comparison pics to Canada exhaust. I am putting this down to angle of picture but the undercut at the front of the sidepod seems larger. Is this just the angle. Anyone got comparison pictures to line up sixe by side?
here is Valencia gallery from @Clausell_F1

http://clausell-f1.com/?page_id=229
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

markp

Thank you. I am strugling going from page to page to see if the undercut is more pronounced. Also is this exhaust the same as Canada or is it tighter in terms of the bulge being more tucked in opening the coke bottle area?

Crucial_Xtreme

It's hard to tell from the pictures taken today, but it looks like they may have moved the exhaust backwards(towards driver) more than what was present in Canada. It could just be the angle of the picture and how it was taken but it looks like it's not as close to the rear tyres as before.

Hail22

It looks similar to the "cows tongue extension" they used during Mugello testing!

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Spankyham

Is this actually a difference? If so can any of the propeller-heads (smart people) explain it for me :)

"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

bhall

The exhaust channel looks very different. I'm eager to see some good shots of it.

kris

bhallg2k wrote:The exhaust channel looks very different. I'm eager to see some good shots of it.
Doesn't it look similar to the one they used on Monaco (See image on Page 310)?

Kiril Varbanov

Spankyham wrote:Is this actually a difference? If so can any of the propeller-heads (smart people) explain it for me :)
From these angles it's a bit hard to make a definitive judgment, so my two cents:
1. There's an additional gill in Valencia iteration - overheating, high temperatures over there.
2. The flow channel now looks wider in diameter and twisted outboard, i.e. if you look at it from above, seems pointed more to the left than before.
To be confirmed with more pictures.

bhall

kris wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:The exhaust channel looks very different. I'm eager to see some good shots of it.
Doesn't it look similar to the one they used on Monaco (See image on Page 310)?
Yes, that small vent looks similar, but the main channel - highlighted in yellow - appears different.
(Click to enlarge)

Nando

Looks like it now bends down further then before as well.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

PiusGasso

Hello friends!

I come to all, had long wanted to check in, but never had the time.

The holes that leads Felipe Massa in the Ferrari took them in Canada.

There is a picture when Massa arrives at his starting position on the grid, which is clear, I could not record it.
Somebody has!?

A hug

Sorry for my english i used translator!!!!

bhall

Nando wrote:Looks like it now bends down further then before as well.
Indeed. It makes me wonder if the "ramp" element tested earlier this season wasn't about guiding the exhaust plume through use of the Coanda effect; rather it was a prototype shield of sorts to help carve a low pressure area - roughly approximated in yellow - into the high pressure flow along the side pods in which the exhaust plume can travel to any wing elements on the brake ducts without being diffused by that flow. In other words, Ferrari is making a low pressure "road" for the exhaust plume. Maybe.

(Click to enlarge.)

Hemsy

First of all let me take a moment to commend Pat Fry. After Pat was hired to replace Aldo Costa, people expected him to immediately turn around Ferrari's fortunes.That of course did not happen & people called for his head. This, in spite of him saying that Ferrari needed to fundamentally change the way they design & develop cars. This was obvious in that this year's car was an aggressive design, a radical departure from previous iterations. This however had its risks & the time it took to get to this point was more than people were willing to afford him. The proof of the pudding, they say is in the pie. It is only now that we are seeing the amount of work that has gone behind the scenes. Ferrari have gone a team struggling to get into Q3 to regularly challenging for podiums, all in the span of a few races.

Now one could point out that Ferrari did the same in the last 2 years. The difference however, was that in previous years, they never really recovered & even if they did, by then it was too late to mount a serious title challenge. This year, however, we are just two points off in the WDC with two-thirds of the season still left & Ferrari still not having reached their peak. We have a few more upgrades here with more to come for Silverstone. As the die hard Tifosi have been saying, keep the faith guys :)