Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/Therm ... 321_EN.pdf
maybe that one?

you may check out the website.Thermal imaging is for documenting surface temperatures -and more :radiated waves.So it may be very misleading without measuring absolute temps TO CORRELATE YOUR FINDINGS. A shiny aluminum surface may indicate totally wrong temps on IR and you´d need to blacken the surface to get adequate readings or use a shorter wavelength (also available) there are very small ir thermal imaging cameras on the market btw.

Crucial_Xtreme

Mandrake wrote:
mozza_84 wrote:what amazes me is that redbull have got 2 concepts already and the season hasnt even started. how in the hell are they controlling cost. give over there full of crap cant wait to see how they get round the audit this year but then again there was a reason why they left fota
I doubt that money is a reason here. RedBull will have had THIS concept from the beginning. I doubt it's been copied off other rivals, the solutions are just much too thought through.

The launch car was an RB7 with RB8 front, RB8 sidepod packaging and RB7 / RB5 style sidepod end and exhaust. Not too difficult to hack the car together.

While all the teams talked about trying different exhaust positions, RedBull actually have something different! I like that. And the way this looks is just astonishing....
I think it's a new design. They went to Jerez with intentions on seeing what the competition had, see what's best, implement what they like and put their own twist to it. In which they've done. It seems quite well, but Webber didn't run much today.

Look at the light in the starter motor hole coming from above the floor. The airflow coming from around the sidepods is definitely making it's way into the hole in the floor.

forget the arrows you see.

dren

hardingfv32 wrote:
Mandrake wrote: RedBull will have had THIS concept from the beginning. I doubt it's been copied off other rivals, the solutions are just much too thought through.
Sorry to burst your bubble, if you come out after a rival with the same idea it is 'copying'. RB is no exception to this rule.

Brian
Red Bull is essentially doing the same thing they did last year with the exhaust, but staying within the new rules. I don't see any copying going on. Mclaren and Ferrari are both trying to do the same thing.
Honda!

hardingfv32

Mr.G wrote:And new chasiss?
From the roll-bar back there is no chassis, so all the exhaust changes have nothing to do with the chassis.

Is there any physical evidence that the chassis is any different than last years? The nose treatment certainly looks like they could be using last years chassis.

Brian

Tozza Mazza

It's nice to see 500 pictures of this new design by RBR, but what exactly is it trying to achieve?

Sauber seem to have a similar exhaust layout, but their car has a totally different rear end. Sauber seem to be focusing on a very clean airflow over the top of the sidepods (assuming their sidepod wings are being used as flow conditioners).

It seems like Red Bull's concept, whilst similar, has a different goal. I saw one suggestion that the RB8 is using the slot for suction into the diffuser. This would require an area of low pressure in the diffuser, which as far as I am aware is not beneficial to diffuser performance.

Why are Red Bull feeding this slot?

The vanes on the floor, seen earlier in the pre-season tests on the STR7 IIRC seem to suggest the diffuser is being sealed using air, in a similar, albeit less effective way, to the EBD's of last season.

Giblet

There are many places to discuss the RRA, and this car thread is not one.

Messages deleted.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Blackout

hardingfv32

bot6 wrote:Money...you don't even attempt to go into the amount of carbon fiber complex shaped detail of the RB8 V2 if you don't have money to spare.
I am afraid you are applying the F1 ultra expensive stigma to all the body panels. These panels can be made at very reasonable costs. Club racers are now using carbon fiber panels. The complexity of the shape is also no issue. In all likelihood the process is fully automated from the designer to when it goes to lay-up.

This RB update was no budget breaker, not even close.

Brian

strad

Have to agree with hardingfv32...You don't need anything fancy...just a mold. I have a friend who lays up Carbon Fiber parts for FF,,,dragsters and others.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall

[Oh, yeah. There's an exhaust thread.]
Last edited by bhall on 03 Mar 2012, 20:44, edited 2 times in total.

Pup
Pup

strad wrote:Have to agree with hardingfv32...You don't need anything fancy...just a mold. I have a friend who lays up Carbon Fiber parts for FF,,,dragsters and others.
And time. You need lots of time. :wink:

Crucial_Xtreme

In this picture it looks like air/gasses can get to the sides of the diffuser by rear tyre.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 03 Mar 2012, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

hardingfv32

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:In this picture it looks like air/gasses can get to the sides of the diffuser by rear tyre.
But why move the outlet farther away if you are targeting the sides of the diffuser? The exhaust plume must diffuse the farther out you get.

Brian

bhall

hardingfv32 wrote:But why move the outlet farther away if you are targeting the sides of the diffuser? The exhaust plume must diffuse the farther out you get.
How else would you implement it while staying within the rules and not going down the (seemingly wrong) path Ferrari have taken?

As is usually the case in F1, RB8's exhaust solution is a compromise based on present circumstances.

Pup
Pup

Yeah, but why not just do what McLaren are doing, and cut out everything under the exhaust outlet? I'm just not sure what the 'bridge' is doing, unless it's structural.