Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

This is true ray, but most other cars didn't have it. I think that was what was being referred too.

bhall
bhall

hardingfv32 wrote: 1) What is your basis for this judgement? Looks?

2) Can we assume the previous car was as tight as all the components under the body would allow?You make the body as tight as possible every time correct?

So then what did they do to reduce space under the body that they never have done before? Is bellhousing/transmission new and smaller? Maybe they used small od exhaust tubing to make the exhaust system smaller? What has change?
1. Sadly, you may have missed out on some of the recent happenings on the forum. We hired 009.5 to engage in a wee little act of industrial espionage - nothing too Coughlin-esque - but, man, did he come through with the mother lode! If you ask someone (nicely) in a PM, maybe they'll share some of the findings from this top-secret design manifesto with you. (I haven't personally seen anything yet, but there's a rumor circulating that it was hand-written by Adrian Newey himself!)

2. No, we can't assume anything. If anyone does, there's inevitably some prick around here somewhere who sits atop a veritable high horse and asks condescending questions that imply all assumptions are nothing but foolhardy acts of intellectual laziness. So we must remain vigilant in our application of scientific rigor. No exceptions.

EDIT: I thought mine was a lot funnier when there wasn't a line of like-minded thoughts following it.
Last edited by bhall on 04 Mar 2012, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

So far, Vettel hasn't made a real flying lap yet, but reports are in that there is a sensor (pitot sensor similar to ones that are on the nose of the tub) on the left end plate of the rear wing, point up and into the clean air above the wing. Peculiarly, there is a lot of hush hush work on it, as umbrellas and a rear-end cover are used the moment Vettel is ready to back into the garage.

It intrigues me that there is a sensor here

As this is the first time that I've seen one in that position. Perhaps this is an attempt to find out more about that particular regime, to reduce vortex shedding? The mind boggles.

Otherwise, lots of hush hush and secrecy. The obsession with umbrellas on Autosport's live blog is pretty comedic.

myurr
myurr

I'm no expert, but could that be used to get a baseline figure away from aerodynamic influence of the car? They were running an aero rake behind the diffuser earlier so perhaps this is a comparison.

Still I suspect something's not quite right at Red Bull. Two hours in when everyone else has done twenty five or more laps, they've done six laps and failed to set a time. No doubt they'll come good, but right now I think they're working through a problem with the car.

Bomber_Pilot

Sry for the small picture

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

myurr wrote:
Still I suspect something's not quite right at Red Bull. Two hours in when everyone else has done twenty five or more laps, they've done six laps and failed to set a time. No doubt they'll come good, but right now I think they're working through a problem with the car.
Or even worse(ish), they're so comfortable with their Australia set-up that they're testing concepts designed for later races (i.e. street-circuit or Monza/Spa bits) :twisted:

Although I am inclined to agree with you, at this late stage in the game, more laps should yield more data and the only reason not to would be due to a fault in the set-up.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

[...] Now on to the RB8, seems they've been in the garage a lot today. New parts I wonder? Or tweaking the new car because it's not performing as they thought?

looks like maybe a little melting right in front of the exhaust exit?

Last edited by Steven on 04 Mar 2012, 18:46, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Stripped response to deleted post

Hail22

Going to go with the latter, just like previous Newey concepts if you put too many of them in the one package it can sometimes cancel out the benefits making it null in void.

We will need to wait and see but i think they went too far with too many "Great" ideas in the one area...

Just saw this Image

Correct me if i am wrong, isn't that illegal?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Rikhart
Rikhart

Hail22 wrote:Going to go with the latter, just like previous Newey concepts if you put too many of them in the one package it can sometimes cancel out the benefits making it null in void.

We will need to wait and see but i think they went too far with too many "Great" ideas in the one area...

Just saw this Image

Correct me if i am wrong, isn't that illegal?
Well well... That IS an interesting picture!

Hail22

I think that is breaching the rules, correct me if i am wrong but i think the entire wing must sit level from the surface of the road (front to rear of the FW).

Another angle

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

myurr
myurr

When I saw that I thought it was illegal as well. I thought the front wing endplate had to be parallel to the reference plane?

If that is the case then I wonder if the new exhaust isn't allowing them to run with the rake angle they wanted so they've adjusted the front wing to still give close to the performance they're expecting whilst running the rest of the car with less rake so that the diffuser doesn't stall.

myurr
myurr

Vettel does his first flying lap of the day!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Checking diffuser aero

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 04 Mar 2012, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Hail22

myurr wrote:When I saw that I thought it was illegal as well. I thought the front wing endplate had to be parallel to the reference plane?

If that is the case then I wonder if the new exhaust isn't allowing them to run with the rake angle they wanted so they've adjusted the front wing to still give close to the performance they're expecting whilst running the rest of the car with less rake so that the diffuser doesn't stall.

Your right to assume its illegal and its by far breaking the rules... has to be parrallel that clearly doesn't show such evidence.

The FIA will have a field day, very nice angle though i must say...just illegal xD

Gilles Villeneuve

Rikhart
Rikhart

Could it be something that snapped and/or didnt reset its position, like it should? hint hint.