Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

raymondu999 wrote:maybe they have it exiting that circular hole? Or perhaps they exit it like the E20's rad exit? Just above the diffuser?
Considering there is no visible exit, I would say it's definitely what they're doing.

Owen.C93

zonk wrote:what about drive shaft?? it looks like in some hosing??
(I though it should be uncovered)
It's been like that since day 1. The have a cover which houses teh lower wishbone and driveshaft.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

RobertPthe3rd

I'm going with crucial. They gotta be exhausting tues tunnel.over the diffuser

AnthonyG

Lotus-style diffuser? (if you look at the side of it, you see quite a large "flat" section)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Matt Somers

As I said to Jason on twitter earlier I can only see them exiting the tunnel inbound out of the rear cooling hole. Without EBD the teams are having to live with the fact they have to get the air in the centre of the diffuser sorted before they can concentrate flow outbound. That's perhaps why the E20's no sides to the diffuser approach works better.
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Owen.C93

Does anyone have a link to a picture of the bare floor from Yesterday, I haven't been able to find it again.

RobertPthe3rd

I have been looking at the huge picture from a page back, there is no visible exhaust for the undercut tunnel. I wonder if its possible they are trying to get some of the exhaust to go through the tunnel and perhaps accelerate flow through the center of the diffuser as well. Perhaps realizing that edge sealing is only going to be X effective and perhaps adding a little Y center accelerating will ultimately add up to a greater rear df gain. Also if you look real close next to the vanes under the rear driveshaft fairings. The inside, you see the same vent leading to the starterhole that they have used for years.

rscsr

Owen.C93 wrote:Does anyone have a link to a picture of the bare floor from Yesterday, I haven't been able to find it again.
In a recent article from scarbs you can find a nice picture of the floor mounted capacitors and that the air is directed to the center of the car.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/04/2 ... -analysis/

Owen.C93

rscsr wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Does anyone have a link to a picture of the bare floor from Yesterday, I haven't been able to find it again.
In a recent article from scarbs you can find a nice picture of the floor mounted capacitors and that the air is directed to the center of the car.

Yeah there was one from this weekend. I was hoping for some more clues to the duct exit.

EDIT: Aha, found it.

Chuckjr

ForMuLaOne wrote:They evacuate air through that "cave" or cutout to generate a vortex with the exhaust plume that is directed towards the side of the diffusor. It all happens at the rear edge of the cave, where both airflows meet. I doubt cooling function of the cave, as there is no increase in volume to slow down the airflow.

I think you are correct. The exhaust plume is a high pressure expanding air. That forms a wall with the coanda effect pulling it to form a barrier with the side pod air. The air off the side pod is pushed down into the slot pushing that air down that tunnel that exits just inside the rear wheel. A somewhat smooth stream of air and keeps the side pod air from pushing the exhaust gas inward and jacking the flow of everything.

Maybe I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue, but that just makes sense to me at this point.
Watching F1 since 1986.

bhall

rscsr wrote:

And people said my floor battery idea was crazy. :D

hardingfv32

bhallg2k wrote:And people said my floor battery idea was crazy.
But what was the value of the idea?

Isn't obvious that you want your heaviest components on the floor. What makes your idea unique?

Brian

bhall

hardingfv32 wrote:But what was the value of the idea?

Isn't obvious that you want your heaviest components on the floor.
Answering our own questions now, are we?

I never claimed my idea was unique. I just put it out there.

As I recall, though, you weren't entirely sure of its value.

(Then again, you rarely seem sure of anything. The eternal skeptic.)

Nando

BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson
"I'm down looking at the Red Bulls. On Friday, Sebastian Vettel ran with a duct in the coke-bottle area between the rear wheels open and his team-mate Mark Webber had it closed off. Now Vettel has the same specification as Webber."
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Crucial_Xtreme

Nando wrote:
BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson
"I'm down looking at the Red Bulls. On Friday, Sebastian Vettel ran with a duct in the coke-bottle area between the rear wheels open and his team-mate Mark Webber had it closed off. Now Vettel has the same specification as Webber."
Yeah you could see from the coverage they closed the duct. So obvious testing yesterday for future updates. Will be interesting to see how this RB duct evolves.