Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
radosav

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

does anyone else thinks that red bull front wing was flexing again? it looked as it was touching the track at some corners

Crucial_Xtreme

radosav wrote:does anyone else thinks that red bull front wing was flexing again? it looked as it was touching the track at some corners
I didn't pay any attention to them really. I'm sure we'll get some pics of it. Will post some up soon. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Crabbia

Maybe they were flexing and that's what damaged them. Surely they will blame it on marbles or track debris but that just my conspiracy theory.

Will they be tested for flex tests on both wings?
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

elFranZ

radosav wrote:does anyone else thinks that red bull front wing was flexing again? it looked as it was touching the track at some corners
I didn't pay much attention to that, but noticed both drivers changed their FW, and on TV they seemed ok, not damaged at all.

raymondu999

Both were having a flapping cascade - Mark though had contact. Or so he said. Maybe Newey is trying a construction technique to facilitate flexing, but went a bit too far somehow?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

radosav

Webber :
"I don't know where I got damage to my front wing, but I had to pit for a new nose. I lost a lot of time with that - and on the few laps before when it started playing up.

Vettel:
"I don't know what the problem was when we had to change the nose of the car; I wasn't sure if I had damage or something stuck at the front - maybe a piece of rubber or something. I tried another lap, but it wasn't the right thing to do, so we decided to come in and change the nose to make sure. It lost us some time, but it was the right thing, as I was told there was some damage to the front left of the wing."

TheRMVR

radosav wrote:Webber :
"I don't know where I got damage to my front wing, but I had to pit for a new nose. I lost a lot of time with that - and on the few laps before when it started playing up.

Vettel:
"I don't know what the problem was when we had to change the nose of the car; I wasn't sure if I had damage or something stuck at the front - maybe a piece of rubber or something. I tried another lap, but it wasn't the right thing to do, so we decided to come in and change the nose to make sure. It lost us some time, but it was the right thing, as I was told there was some damage to the front left of the wing."
[nvm]
Last edited by TheRMVR on 13 May 2012, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme

Yeah it was flexing a bit today

Broke Front Wing

elFranZ

Now it's clear, thaks CX!
Cracked end plate or wing pillar gone due to excessive flexing?

Robbobnob

He was showered in debris after the Schui Senna crash... could have been from that. But as Webbers also failed id be inclined to say they had pushed the construction to the very limit weight wise and it simply failed
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

radosav

yeah, thanks CX

Huntresa

The small cascade wing or w/e its called closest to the center pylons is also missing on the right broken side, seems like that wouldnt break if he had had contact on the outer edge.

AnthonyG

If the whole wing flexes on that "axle" it's quite brilliant, no deformation with a vertical load test, but all you want during a race.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

radosav

AnthonyG wrote:If the whole wing flexes on that "axle" it's quite brilliant, no deformation with a vertical load test, but all you want during a race.
true

Boost

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Nando wrote:
BBC F1 technical analyst Gary Anderson
"I'm down looking at the Red Bulls. On Friday, Sebastian Vettel ran with a duct in the coke-bottle area between the rear wheels open and his team-mate Mark Webber had it closed off. Now Vettel has the same specification as Webber."
Yeah you could see from the coverage they closed the duct. So obvious testing yesterday for future updates. Will be interesting to see how this RB duct evolves.
I think it may have been on the Sky coverage, but RBR were quoted as saying that they still don't understand why the duct isn't working as the CFD and windtunnel say it should.