Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:46 pm

No its not.
Totally different.
Double diffuser's purpose was to allow better airflow under the car. This tunnel works the coke bottle area.
"You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen.
Sebastian Vettel"
PlatinumZealot
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2008

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:50 pm

n smikle wrote:No its not.
Totally different.
Double diffuser's purpose was to allow better airflow under the car. This tunnel works the coke bottle area.

Yes and no – faster air flow through that area will drag air out of the underside of the diffuser faster too, and help speed up the under-car flow too.
beelsebob
 
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Location: Cupertino, California

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:58 pm

The double-diffuser was essentially one massive diffuser, the split deck design was just required to make it legal. This is nothing like that really, it's more about drawing more airflow over the top of diffuser, to try and draw more airflow out of the diffuser, and increase down force from the underbody.
"Unbelievable how silly this Formula 1 is these days, with this stupid overtakes."
—Sebastian Vettel, 2012 US GP
Diesel
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Location: ...

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Diesel wrote:The double-diffuser was essentially one massive diffuser, the split deck design was just required to make it legal. This is nothing like that really, it's more about drawing more airflow over the top of diffuser, to try and draw more airflow out of the diffuser, and increase down force from the underbody.

we dont know if airflow from sidepods go over the top of diffuser, maybe go on under. if channel is connected with floor, and floor is connected with diffuser, you get massive downforce, or atleast better better downforce then before. if you look pictures you see that end of splitter dissaper when he "hit" diffuser.
Neno
 
Joined: 31 May 2010

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm

neilbah wrote:does this area behind exhaust not mean a double or hollow floor, certainly seems enclosed


Well there isnt a hole in the floor so its legal. I can build tunnels everywhere i guess.
Huntresa
 
Joined: 3 Dec 2011

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm

zztopless wrote:Image

I know it's not, but the way the coke bottle ends above the diffuser (or appears to from this angle), reminds me somewhat of the double diffusers.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... how_item=2
zyphro
 
Joined: 2 May 2012

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah you get more page views if you act like its a double diffuser.
Owen.C93
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2010

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Owen.C93 wrote:Yeah you get more page views if you act like its a double diffuser.


True. Red Bulls thing is much closer to being double floor than being double diffuser.
simos
 
Joined: 12 May 2012

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:34 pm

beelsebob wrote:
n smikle wrote:No its not.
Totally different.
Double diffuser's purpose was to allow better airflow under the car. This tunnel works the coke bottle area.

Yes and no – faster air flow through that area will drag air out of the underside of the diffuser faster too, and help speed up the under-car flow too.


A gurney flap can help the diffuser too.. but again it is FAAAAAR from anything like double diffuser. It works from the top. the effects are felt from the rear - You can say that for pretty much any object on top the car even the wheels. This mish mashing and nonchalant spewing and mixing of things, just make any technical "deep diving" pointless.

Might as well I say the Mclaren U-pods were acting like the double diffuser at this rate. :lol:
"You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen.
Sebastian Vettel"
PlatinumZealot
 
Joined: 12 Jun 2008

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:03 pm

http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formula_1 ... um=twitter

well if the tunnels are not DD this is much closer!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!
alogoc
 
Joined: 13 Feb 2012

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:12 pm

alogoc wrote:http://www.auto.it/autosprint/formula_1/2012/06/22-11227/La+%22vendetta%22+di+Newey?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

well if the tunnels are not DD this is much closer!

What is? It's just blowing the starter motor hole like the rest of the grid. Only difference is RBR use a bulky duct because they need a ramp for their exhaust rather that the normal void and tight rear ends like they used to be known for.
Owen.C93
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2010

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Ok im gonna throw a thought in, looking at the pics on the new solution, i get the impression there might be a channel/duct running underneath the engine cover, I'm not sure if its just bad angles. But check out the pics on amus. Could the inlet on the front of the chassis be coupled with this new solution?

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 65494.html
f1rules
 
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Location: Denmark

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:25 pm

here the picture

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red ... 606921.jpg

does that not look like ducting, something along the lines of mercedes ddrs ducting round the engine
f1rules
 
Joined: 11 Jan 2004
Location: Denmark

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 pm

n smikle wrote:.... This mish mashing and nonchalant spewing and mixing of things, just make any technical "deep diving" pointless.

Might as well I say the Mclaren U-pods were acting like the double diffuser at this rate. :lol:


"Yeah you get more page views if you act like its a double diffuser."

agreed.

c'mon, use occam's razor and a little knowledge of aerodynamics: the most likely function of those tunnels is to make the ramp work better by diverting air from the lower side of the sidepods instead of forcing that air to go up and over the ramp. without the tunnels it looks like both the ramp flow and the coke bottle flow would be quite disrupted given the valencia shapes.
flyboy2160
 
Joined: 25 Apr 2011

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:45 pm

f1rules wrote:here the picture

http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Red ... 606921.jpg

does that not look like ducting, something along the lines of mercedes ddrs ducting round the engine

Do you mean directly around the engine near the Renault text? It's just the way the RBR cool their car, half goes down to the gearbox to exit over and through the center of the diffuser with the little ducts and half goes upwards, past the air box and out the canon exit.
Owen.C93
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2010

PreviousNext

Return to F1 Car Hardware & Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AddThis [Crawler], auskha, CCBot [Bot], Cuky, Diesel, f1316, finishline, Frank_, Mikey_s, Moving Chicane, tom4661, tony77g, Tweetmeme [Bot], Twitter [Bot] and 41 guests