Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

bhallg2k wrote:Speed is also reporting DDRS on the RB8. You can see the inlet cover on the end of the flap.

Double DRS is when the front and rear wings are subjected to drag reduction. Red Bull are using a system that takes from activation of the DRS, via holes a la Mercedes, but instead of thenblowing the front wing,they are directing the air to below the rear wing, similar to Mercs passive system. So really it is just a refinement to the official DRS system.

Shrieker

This will give them the edge in qualifying surely. Getting pole is everything, it's essential for preserving the tyres. Vettel has a big chance to make it 3 in a row. Having said that, it should be kept in mind that Vettel probably never used DRS in the race but was still damn fast.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

turbof1

gilgen wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:Speed is also reporting DDRS on the RB8. You can see the inlet cover on the end of the flap.

Double DRS is when the front and rear wings are subjected to drag reduction. Red Bull are using a system that takes from activation of the DRS, via holes a la Mercedes, but instead of thenblowing the front wing,they are directing the air to below the rear wing, similar to Mercs passive system. So really it is just a refinement to the official DRS system.
You can still count it as a DDRS though; the holes only open up when DRS is active. The only difference reallt is what it stalls. It gives a double effect when DRS is active. It is the same principle all together.

Red Bull solution might not be as effective as the one of Mercedes, but they saved themselves from having to repackage the car and designing a new chassis which had to go through crashtest again.
#AeroFrodo

amouzouris

Here is my analysis and drawings on the DDRS system:

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... -ddrs.html

BTW guys please feel free to integrate any of my drawings in the forum to continue the discussion here.

Forza

While Lotus and Mercedes have been experimenting for some time with passive 'double-DRS' devices, which have proved difficult in terms of set up, Red Bull have devised a very clever and easy system for the RB8. Believed to have been introduced in Singapore, but only discovered this weekend in Suzuka, Adrian Newey's new solution is activated by the movement of the flap when the DRS system is operated and has been spotted thanks to the bigger surface of bodywork used to fix the flap. When the hole (see yellow highlighted area) opens, the air flows through the endplate to the beam wing, where it blows onto the central 12-cm section of the diffuser, which is free of aero limitations. The new device is believed to have helped the RB8 to register the fastest top speed in qualifying.

Another drawing yy Mario Keszeli @techF1LES

turbof1

The Technical World of Formula 1 Explained wrote:It is strange Red Bull has developed a DDRS system since such devices are banned for next season, although the system has really improved their qualifying performance because of free DRS use during qualifying.
I think it is only logical. You update what you can to get the most out of your season. We've seen in 2010 Torro Rosso adding in Korea an F-duct device; by that time it was already known that F-ducts would be banned next season. They did it anyhow in a bid to jump 1 or 2 teams in the constructors championship. That Red Bull is doing this to jump Alonso and to secure the constructors championship makes it only very logical that they bring an update that really works (rumored to have brought them 0.5 seconds in qualifying) and I believe McLaren and Ferrari will jump on the wagon.

It is also said they already tested it in Singapore. Nobody noticed that. To bring such an update and to keep it hidden is VERY impressive.
#AeroFrodo

amouzouris

Yes, you are right about doing everything to jump Alonso! ill have to rephrase my post in the blog because im not giving out what i was thinking! :P Red Bull is a big team and can afford to 'waste' some money (waste only because it will be banned next year but pretty much worth it for this year with the big improvement the have in qualy)

I went through a lot of the photos from Singapore but didn't find any evidence of DDRS, im not saying they didn't have it their, but because of the light effect maybe n one noticed it

turbof1

amouzouris wrote: I went through a lot of the photos from Singapore but didn't find any evidence of DDRS, im not saying they didn't have it their, but because of the light effect maybe n one noticed it
I was thinking the same thing. Some people (myself included) even tought at a point Mercedes dropped their own DDRS. It was that hard to notice it. The pipes run on the black inner side of the rear wing endplates, so already not so easy to spot them, let alone under artifical light.
#AeroFrodo

Forza

Some different angles of RB8 from Singapore when the team did Flow Vis run.

and close up from today

Kiril Varbanov

This where the blowing most likely happens, flow separation, less drag:

Image credit: Mario (@TechF1les)

aral

Forza wrote:Some different angles of RB8 from Singapore when the team did Flow Vis run.
Looking at the end plates at Singapore, the DDRS was also in use there. Well disguised by Red Bull. Nobody spotted it!

Shrieker

Newey stole my idea lol. I came up with it at least 6 months ago.
Last edited by Steven on 07 Oct 2012, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swearing? Unneeded
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Dragonfly

Which means they are reading the forum :)
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

munudeges

The front wing and nose they have now is looking a lot like what they had last year.

user001

munudeges wrote:The front wing and nose they have now is looking a lot like what they had last year.
cause they managed to regain all or most of the downforce (at the rear) from last year? Or what could be the reason?