Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Adrian Newby

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Intego wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:
Intego wrote:deleted
Don't those four holes lead into the cockpit?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but those holes are to hold the nose itself. I deleted my post because it must be a last years picture. I'm searching for proof.
My thinking (when I thought the picture was of this years' chassis) was that Newey might have been up to his old tricks of having one part pull double-duty, in this case, running air through the mounting points. They look like the go all the way into the chassis.

JimiJams

Adrian Newby wrote:
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Image
This appears to be a different chassis than the hump/intake models. Where is the upper radius for the intake? That part looks to be built into the chassis.
According to Scarbs it's last years car.

Scarbs tweet: http://yfrog.com/ob1rjikj
"Leave me alone. I know what I’m doing" - Kimi Räikkönen

Intego

Never believe in pics without a legend :wink:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Adrian Newby

Intego wrote:Never believe in pics without a legend :wink:
:D

He fooled us with all the pics of this years' chassis just below it. That and the fact that we want to see that picture of this years chassis sooo bad!

kilcoo316

Adrian Newby wrote:That was NOT an incorrect explanation of Bernoulli's principle, which was what I was trying to explain, in a simple fashion. If you want to go into further detail, then have at it. I think it is beyond the scope of this thread, and the point I was trying to make.
It was completely incorrect - and it barely even addressed Bernoulli's law.

As I said, this isn't a GCSE class. I'd like to think conversation in here is of a much higher standard.

Adrian Newby wrote: The upper wishbone does not need AoA to generate downforce if it has that much more flow, and higher-energy flow at that. The small surface area would be the largest limitation, but even at that it will have a more substantial effect than you suggest due to the fact that half of the downforce generated will go directly into the wheel/tire/contact patch.
Indeed. 100% correct (apart from half, the lever arm/load mechanics of it would mean about 1/3rd going direct to wheel).

I was stupidly talking about a wishbone in isolation... dunno why I was doing that. D'oh.

amouzouris

This though IS a photo of the 2012 car:
you can still see the air intake below the nose

Adrian Newby wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:And an "air dam" is the last thing he would want in that already narrowed area between the front tires (an air dam, and the air being redirected by it, wouldn't just go upward, but also outward).
For the air dam theory, the fences would be what stops the air also pushing outwards....

If they're just using the slot to bleed off air pressure at the hump, hen it would be simpler to splurge it off to the sides...
You don't want air splurging off the sides.[\b] And if the air dam didn't extend forward of the ramp area then what's the point of it?

Adrian Newby wrote:
I believe Adrian Newey is attempting to have the exact the opposite effect of an air dam. [ b]He is trying to get rid of any build up of air caused by this newly necessary hump in the nose[\b] by routing air through the bulkhead, past the driver, and out the cockpit opening.

As I said if they're (note they not he) primarily trying to reduce pressure, would it not be simpler to get rid of the pressure to the sides?
Adrian Newby wrote:The effect of the drag on the top of the nose is minimal.

If so, why work so hard to remove the air pressure. If it's ducted somewhere, IMHO the exit is where it will be paying it's way.

You're right, that we all want to see this year's bulkhead - I should have know that photo of last year's was too good to be true!

amouzouris wrote:This though IS a photo of the 2012 car:

are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a slit above the white line in the side of the nose?
Last edited by avatar on 09 Feb 2012, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

JimiJams

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:RB8 exhaust in action
PIC
Seems like that exhaust would flow right under the beam wing
Last edited by Steven on 16 Feb 2012, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted pic (see above)

Adrian Newby

kilcoo316 wrote:
Adrian Newby wrote:That was NOT an incorrect explanation of Bernoulli's principle, which was what I was trying to explain, in a simple fashion. If you want to go into further detail, then have at it. I think it is beyond the scope of this thread, and the point I was trying to make.
It was completely incorrect - and it barely even addressed Bernoulli's law.
"Bernoulli's principle can be used to calculate the lift force on an airfoil if the behaviour of the fluid flow in the vicinity of the foil is known. For example, if the air flowing past the top surface of an aircraft wing is moving faster than the air flowing past the bottom surface, then Bernoulli's principle implies that the pressure on the surfaces of the wing will be lower above than below. This pressure difference results in an upwards lift force."

Adrian Newby

As I said, this isn't a GCSE class. I'd like to think conversation in here is of a much higher standard.
Then you can go into much more detail on your posts.

Adrian Newby

Indeed. 100% correct (apart from half, the lever arm/load mechanics of it would mean about 1/3rd going direct to wheel).

I was stupidly talking about a wishbone in isolation... dunno why I was doing that. D'oh.
There is no lever arm there.

JimiJams

Bernoulli's principle.

An airplane wing has a larger curve on the upper surface than on the bottom. Imagine two streams of air, one going over the wing, the other going under it. The stream going over the top must go faster to get to the back of the wing at the same time as the stream on the bottom. The faster velocity on top results in a decrease in pressure, which lifts (sucks) the wing upward.

An F1 A-arm must be made symmetrical to meet the rules, so the flow is normally the same on the top and the bottom. But if you put a big honkin' exhaust directly under that A-arm, the bottom side will definitely have faster flow and decreased pressure, which equals downforce.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea that the streams will always reconnect at the same time a common misconception?

Adrian Newby

amouzouris wrote:This though IS a photo of the 2012 car:

are my eyes playing tricks on me or is there a slit above the white line in the side of the nose?
I believe that is a boundary strip to keep the flow from migrating.

kilcoo316

Adrian Newby wrote:
Then you can go into much more detail on your posts.
When I bother, I do.