Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Rear end detail. Amazingly tight package. Isn't the little vane on the floor closest to the track new? right click>view image

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

On those two photos there seems to be a section of the floor that is detachable.

Here it is attached

and here it is missing

It seems Red Bull are still investigating "sealing the diffuser" somehow
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Rear end detail. Amazingly tight package. Isn't the little vane on the floor closest to the track new? right click>view image

I saw something similar to that vane on the RB6, maybe the 7 as well...

Interesting that it doesn't seem to be aligned with what you would think would be the local air flow. It looks like it is aimed at the rear tire...

strad

Interesting picture of the heat sensitive paint,,there to see if that exhaust is gonna burn up parts I'd reckon. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Robbobnob wrote:On those two photos there seems to be a section of the floor that is detachable.

Here it is attached

and here it is missing

It seems Red Bull are still investigating "sealing the diffuser" somehow
I'm sure you are correct. I'll wager this undertray was built just for testing, allowing them to swap different bits in and out to find what works best in a timely manner.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

strad wrote:Interesting picture of the heat sensitive paint,,there to see if that exhaust is gonna burn up parts I'd reckon. ;)
That is Flo-vis paint, which helps them see where the airflow is going. I don't think it is necessarily heat sensitive, but that is bound to be one of their concerns in that area, for sure.

strad

That is Flo-vis paint, which helps them see where the airflow is going.
Yes thetre is Flo-Vis also,,but the little patch shaped/little squares, are heat sensitive paint.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

strad wrote:
That is Flo-vis paint, which helps them see where the airflow is going.
Yes there is Flo-Vis also,,but the little patch shaped/little squares, are heat sensitive paint.
Der...didn't notice those! And the two blue patches in the middle...

Shaddock

JB2011 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:RB8 exhaust in action

This seems to be a significant distance further back than McLaren's exhaust exit. Why wouldn't McLaren also mount them this far rearward and then add on their extra bit of bodywork?
Different philosophy, McLaren by mounting the exhaust further back and further from the centre line of the car seem to pointing their exhausts at the floor on the inside of the tyre. You can’t blow this area from where the RB8’s exhausts are positioned.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

im not sure what benefit this would have, but having that upper wishbone next to the exhaust flow has the following benefits.

As the wishbone is not considered bodywork, it can be within the 3degree cone, therefore interact with the stream acting as a sort of turning vane.

the top is just the exhaust as it would naturally expand, the bottom situation is how it would expand with the wishbone in its path.

my guess would be its concentrating the flow onto the middle section of the bean wing, wouldnt be surprised if we see a ultra complicated looking monkey seat at the last test, nor do i think we have seen the final iteration of this exhaust solution
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Robbobnob wrote:im not sure what benefit this would have, but having that upper wishbone next to the exhaust flow has the following benefits.

As the wishbone is not considered bodywork, it can be within the 3degree cone, therefore interact with the stream acting as a sort of turning vane.

the top is just the exhaust as it would naturally expand, the bottom situation is how it would expand with the wishbone in its path.

my guess would be its concentrating the flow onto the middle section of the bean wing, wouldnt be surprised if we see a ultra complicated looking monkey seat at the last test, nor do i think we have seen the final iteration of this exhaust solution
Nice drawing, and you raise some interesting thoughts about the wishbone's effect on the subsequent path of the exhaust.

It looks to me like the RB8's exhaust is angled up to flow just under the back half of that suspension member, in my opinion, to create downforce on it.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

yes i certainly agree that it will have extra downforce across the wishbone, but Newey is the King of multi benefit aero parts so i am almost certain that there is other benefits going on

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Robbobnob wrote:yes i certainly agree that it will have extra downforce across the wishbone, but Newey is the King of multi benefit aero parts so i am almost certain that there is other benefits going on
I agree completely. I think the exhaust is mainly aimed at the underside of the lower wing, but Newey is taking advantage of running it under that suspension member as well. And at higher vehicle velocities (such as on straights), the exhaust flow will be blown more straight back, un-attach from the wing, and reduce the drag when downforce isn't needed.
Last edited by Adrian Newby on 10 Feb 2012, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian Newby
Adrian Newby

Boy, those Pirellis definitely have a flatter profile. That will change the aero around them too.

Shafto
Shafto

Looks like a little panel of some sort is missing in between Red and Bull. Bottom. (right click)