Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Red Bull RB8-Renault

CHT wrote:What is this air inlet for?
To let in air. Obviously. 8)

Ferraripilot

shamikaze wrote:Hightend contrast and indicated rough-and-dirty the exhaust flow path

agreed. I am confused by their choice of exhaust path. I would have thought it being more outboard similar to Mclaren or even Sauber would be best as it almost mimics being close to the old W02 exhaust path as allowed per '12 regs.

shamikaze
shamikaze

Well, MS Paint don't let me paint a proper "cone" for the airflow", but I expect it to go over the beam-wing at lower airspeed and under the beam-wing on higher speed's with more fast-moving air joining from over the sidepods.

Low-speed => more air blown over the beam-wing (diffuser ain't helping much anyway)
high-speed => more air blown over the diffuser helping extraction, better grip during high-speed corners.

italian
italian

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But the surface isn't too small for having big influence on the aerodynamic of the car?
Read here: "3.7.8 Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the reference plane.
Any cameras or camera housings approved by the FIA in addition to a single inlet aperture for the purpose of driver cooling (such aperture having a maximum projected surface area of 1500mm2 and being situated forward of the section referred to in Article 15.4.3) will be exempt from the above."
Last edited by italian on 06 Feb 2012, 16:39, edited 4 times in total.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

amouzouris

shamikaze wrote:Well, MS Paint don't let me paint a proper "cone" for the airflow", but I expect it to go over the beam-wing at lower airspeed and under the beam-wing on higher speed's with more fast-moving air joining from over the sidepods.

Low-speed => more air blown over the beam-wing (diffuser ain't helping much anyway)
high-speed => more air blown over the diffuser helping extraction, better grip during high-speed corners.
edit: misunderstood what he was saying..
Last edited by amouzouris on 06 Feb 2012, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

shamikaze wrote:Well, MS Paint don't let me paint a proper "cone" for the airflow", but I expect it to go over the beam-wing at lower airspeed and under the beam-wing on higher speed's with more fast-moving air joining from over the sidepods.

How much exhaust blowing will there by at low speed with the banning of off throttle blowing?

CHT
CHT

bhallg2k wrote:
CHT wrote:What is this air inlet for?
To let in air. Obviously. 8)
Yes, I did mention air inlet.

question is where is are they using the air?

radosav
radosav

hi! how will high temperatures effect suspension geometry?

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

shamikaze wrote:Hightend contrast and indicated rough-and-dirty the exhaust flow path

So they blow the Beam wing and feed the Diffusor

Lurk

I am not sur about the legality of the hole but I am also not sure to have well understood the regulation, so I'll post it:
Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the reference plane.
Any cameras or camera housings approved by the FIA in addition to a single inlet aperture for the purpose of driver cooling (such aperture having a maximum projected surface area of 1500mm2 and being situated forward of the section referred to in Article 15.4.3) will be exempt from the above.
An impact absorbing structure must be fitted in front of the survival cell. This structure need not be an integral part of the survival cell but must be solidly attached to it.
It must have a minimum external cross section, in horizontal projection, of 9000mm² at a point 50mm behind its forward‐most point and, furthermore, no part of the cross‐section taken at this point may lie more than 500mm above the reference plane.
So is RBR aperture more than 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line?
Has it a 1500mm² surface? According to Scarbs yes: is is 6mm high and seems to be about 250mm wide.
And last: as I understand it, 3.7.8 refers to the section defined on 2nd § of 15.4.3. And this aperture is clearly not 50mm behind nosecone forward‐most point...

So is this aperture ok because it is less than or at 150mm ahead of front wheel center line or missed I something on the 15.4.3?

bhall
bhall

CHT wrote:question is where is are they using the air?
I think it's still anyone's guess at this point.

NormalChris
NormalChris

Think this is a different material than the diffuser of is it just an odd reflection? Defiantly doesn't seem to have the large checker weave. Caught my eye because they used a different material in the same location for the EBD last year.

Either way its a decent shot of the starter hole.

Mr.S
Mr.S

The car is f***ing amazing. Really is. I love the nose,the whole step down with the Driver Cooling,they have got something there. They are exploiting it.

The Front Wing is Amazing. God it's so complex & weird & hands down will not be repeated soon. The side-pods are not as sleek as Force India but the Under-cut is huge.

I still think it is a fantastic nose. I mean Step Down's are the norm & probably. 6 pout of 7 cars feature the same trick. I said it then & there -> Mclaren have lost the plot. Of all the step-down nose this is different,not that flat but with a slight curved shape.

I dont know if it's a winner or not but it should be a competitive car. Complete Evolution from RB5,6 & 7.

Of all the cars I like the Red Bull & Force India the best followed by Ferrai close by.

sesku
sesku

Is this possible? sorry for crude sketch.
This letter is computer-generated ; no signature is required.

agungn51

the distance between pushrod and upper chassis is larger on RB8 compare to RB7, i believe they only increase the upper part of the chassis but kept the suspension design
In order to not make a bulge nose, then they make a slit on it, thus the turbulence stream created by ferrari's style nose can be avoided, because some stream is flow to the upper part of the helmet, and some is flow through the slit ...the f-duct analogy

cmiiw
Mr.S wrote:The car is f***ing amazing. Really is. I love the nose,the whole step down with the Driver Cooling,they have got something there. They are exploiting it.

The Front Wing is Amazing. God it's so complex & weird & hands down will not be repeated soon. The side-pods are not as sleek as Force India but the Under-cut is huge.

I still think it is a fantastic nose. I mean Step Down's are the norm & probably. 6 pout of 7 cars feature the same trick. I said it then & there -> Mclaren have lost the plot. Of all the step-down nose this is different,not that flat but with a slight curved shape.

I dont know if it's a winner or not but it should be a competitive car. Complete Evolution from RB5,6 & 7.

Of all the cars I like the Red Bull & Force India the best followed by Ferrai close by.
Last edited by agungn51 on 06 Feb 2012, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
" Many inventors achieve great success, because they treat inventing like a serious busines - Inventing is often the easy part; the trick is to know what needs to be invented "