Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tubbs

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

atanatizante wrote:
Is there an illusion or is the famous DRS duct?
Thats just a carbon fibre cover attached to the DRS flap, that covers the hole when the DRS is closed. Underneath there is a 10mm thats revealed when DRS is open.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Downforce is not a huge issue. They dont have an optimal exhaust solution. If they can make slight modifications then I am sure they can find a tenth or two but its not really horrible.

Mechanical Grip & Traction is just not good enough. There are 2 big straights in S1 & S3. There is no reason to be behind in S3 because they are already gaining a few tenths in those straights.

I am also very dissapointed in Brawn's statements. While Ferrari have flown a new chasis for Massa for this race in just 3-4 days from Australia,Brawn's comments are not encouraging. He is saying that there will be no Decent Upgrades till Mugello Test which is a long way off. Ferrari are on the other hand are bringing a completely different car to Bahrain which has to pass FIA's crash tests again.

MIKEY_!

Those holes in the RW endplates won't be exits, the air pressure above the wing will be too high. Also I'm still not convinced the hole in the nose can feed the FW.

shades
shades

Hello all
First time poster, but I've been following since page one of the pre launch thread.

Watching p3 just now. I see gills on both cars :-( wish I had a a screenshot.

Hope they don't need it for the race, if its later in the day.

bhall
bhall

MIKEY_! wrote:Those holes in the RW endplates won't be exits, the air pressure above the wing will be too high. Also I'm still not convinced the hole in the nose can feed the FW.
I think the DRS slots in the rear wing endplates are just the switch*, similar to the driver-activated solutions found in the cockpits of 2010 cars. I also think the scoop on top of the chassis feeds the front wing, not the aperture on the nose tip or the rear wing slots. It was stated earlier in the thread that Brawn said they did not have a blown front wing in Australia. If that's true, I think it lends a bit of credibility to my claim in that regard, because that scoop was not used last week.

* Or they could be blowing the rear wing, too. According the Charlie Whiting, that's not expressly prohibited by the regulations as was widely thought. The rules simply disallow that familiar connection between the engine cover and the rear wing and further tighten the language concerning driver-operated bodywork. As configured, the Mercedes solution to blow the rear wing, if that's indeed happening, is legit.

raymondu999

shades wrote:I see gills on both cars :-(
Can we stop it with this gillmongering? Everyone's got gills in Malaysia. Especially the fish.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

atanatizante

Tubbs wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
Thats just a carbon fibre cover attached to the DRS flap ...
I don`t think the regs allowed them to do that :) ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

bhallg2k wrote:... It was stated earlier in the thread that Brawn said they did not have a blown front wing in Australia ...
Source please!
Jesus

bhall
bhall

clipsy1H wrote:I heard today from a commenter something about FW-Duct. that guy said " Mercedes didn't use F-duct at Melbourne" and its source is Ross.
Not exactly rock-solid, but would speculation be anywhere near as fun if it was?

spadeflush

raymondu999 wrote:
shades wrote:I see gills on both cars :-(
Can we stop it with this gillmongering? Everyone's got gills in Malaysia. Especially the fish.
:lol: :lol: =D>
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Tubbs

atanatizante wrote:
Tubbs wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
Thats just a carbon fibre cover attached to the DRS flap ...
I don`t think the regs allowed them to do that :) ...
Check page 93 has a clear photo of the DRS hole covered by a carbon fibre plate attached to the DRS wing.

Huntresa
Huntresa

atanatizante

Tubbs wrote: ... Check page 93 has a clear photo of the DRS hole covered by a carbon fibre plate attached to the DRS wing.
Thanx dude, but it is allowed to attach a CF piece to the flap?
Jesus

Raptor22
Raptor22

mercedes could be sandbagging till the FIA gives them the full clear.
That said I think they'll go for pole today and the win tomorrow is a definate option.
The tyre issue is not as bad as it seems. Its setup work thats needed

MIKEY_!

I think that scoop in the top of the nose is for driver cooling (unless it's behind the bulkhead), several teams have them. Not sure about the specific wording of the regs but I think it says something like 'holes in the nosecone must be for cooling purposes'. If the air goes over some rads before exiting the wing then it could be legal. They certainly could blow the RW, but only the outside edges (like the multi element designs on some cars). Since the endplate is so thick any exit would have to be on the endplate itself (got that on my model actually).