Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GSBellew

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Interestingly in the pictures above Michaels car has the intake on top of the nose this time & Nicos does not. So at the moment it's the reverse of what we saw in china.

Maelstrom

I wonder if they are using this race as a kind of testing before Mugello. Giving both drivers slightly different setups so they have more data to work with.

MIKEY_!

Michael has a history of needing extra driver cooling compared to his teammates. This could be the case here, although that doesn't explain why Nico had an inlet and Michael didn't at china.

ivand911

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... pr/417.jpg
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... pr/596.jpg
There is pictures of Nico with and without the cooling slot. The question is why you play with it in Bahrain? If you used it in China, what is the chance not to use it in Bahrain? I start to think it is more than cooling slot. Can they not to use it in Q and to put it back for the race? I don't think so?

cccag

what is this ?

Art & science are disciplines that must work together hand in hand - Horacio Pagani

siskue2005

If that slot is for driver cooling, then what is that at the tip of the nose?
I think this is some kind of passive and active front f duct

raymondu999

ivand911 wrote:Can they not to use it in Q and to put it back for the race? I don't think so?
Don't think so. They're in parc ferme and can't change the cars in any way as they leave the garage for Q1. Except for front wing, and differential locking.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

siskue2005

That must be specific cooling inlet for ecu
Which they. Are blowing using an air blower to cool it down
Last edited by Richard on 21 Apr 2012, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

ivand911

In the episode 66 of Flying lap, Scarbs was showing that they blow below the FW in completely different positions than official F1 site is showing. He point at the ends(leading edge or something like that) of the FW, not the famous slots from MS picture.
Did you see the Ferrari thread(3 big threads) on their tyre hub for tyre mounting?
You can't cross-thread this thread. And also it is faster to screw the nut. MGP use smaller threads that have bigger number of threads and are easy to cross thread.

Jef Patat

siskue2005 wrote:
That must be specific cooling inlet for ecu
Which they. Are blowing using an air blower to cool it down
That car is clearly not ready for racing, nor has it recently raced. Why would you want to cool something that is at ambient temperature?
Last edited by Richard on 21 Apr 2012, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

GSBellew

Nicos car has the cooling intake this morning in FP3

Also when the mechanics were putting Nicos nose cone on they appeared to do so without removing the carbon cover over the two pipes although the camera cut away just before the finished fitting it so it may have been taken off at the last second.

Cocles

GSBellew wrote:Nicos car has the cooling intake this morning in FP3

Also when the mechanics were putting Nicos nose cone on they appeared to do so without removing the carbon cover over the two pipes although the camera cut away just before the finished fitting it so it may have been taken off at the last second.
I saw that too. I'm pretty sure they took it off. The guy who had his hand closest to it looked intently at the camera... waiting.

Crucial_Xtreme

banibhusan

Why do they have "RACE" written on the tip of the nosecone? Do teams maintain separate spec of FW for race and practice?

Crucial_Xtreme

Great unseen shot of front bulkhead in this particular way