Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gerhardsa

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

mx_tifoso wrote:If it was anymore complicated Mercedes would surely screw it up, on Schumacher's car of course.
^^LOL^^

marcush.

techF1LES wrote:Image

I used those bottles ...erm 10 years ago.. but I hope they use those funky QDV connectors to attach the bleed line?

Usually with the master brake cylinder and calipers in one height you face a lot of trouble getting rid of the air trapped ..especially with Calipers not mounted in their original design position.....but this looks rather conventional..
I had thought they now use pressure /vac pulsing to get this sorted ...not with these bottles..

The Brake duct offers huge potential ...compare with Ferrari... #-o and that thread on the hub I´m a bit worried...it looks like it´s begging for fretting and galling ...?

siskue2005

mx_tifoso wrote:If it was anymore complicated Mercedes would surely screw it up, on Schumacher's car of course.
Lol , good one :lol:

xpensive

marcush. wrote: ...
The Brake duct offers huge potential ...compare with Ferrari... #-o and that thread on the hub I´m a bit worried...it looks like it´s begging for fretting and galling ...?
My guestimate is a regular M36x3 there marcush, didn't that italian bring anything on from Ferrari?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

mind you..they got a integrated nut design there -so it may well be possible you have to pull the wheel a considerable distance towards the mounting face on the hub ,aliging it first with the guides on the hub and possibly engaging pins as well ...I fear correct installed torque /preload is a hit or miss thing with this...?

aral

marcush. wrote:mind you..they got a integrated nut design there -so it may well be possible you have to pull the wheel a considerable distance towards the mounting face on the hub ,aliging it first with the guides on the hub and possibly engaging pins as well ...I fear correct installed torque /preload is a hit or miss thing with this...?
Optical illusion. Blow up the picture and you will see that threads are OK. Re the fluid bottle. Nothing strang there either, unless it is a new position for Schumis drinks bottle?

xpensive

An adrenaline-pumped fitter with a speedy air-gun and a Ti-thread like that, it oozes galling as well as cross-threading.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

guys ...it´s only what a well seasoned guy is FEARING because he has seen things going wrong.Don´t read any destructive approach into me hammering my doubts about the car team and processes .
It´s the NORMAL approach when you try to work out what could be done better.
We all would confirm thy have shown considerable weaknesses over the last three years and all is not well ? So why stand by and wait till Mercs own guys present the magic rabbit solving all the problems ....Questioning everything is the aproach to improve.
As soon as you are content or satidfied with the status quo you will inevitably go backwards .
To me there is nothing negative in questioning what they do.

elf341

I just don't get why they removed the front wing upper cascades and the monkey seat.

Shouldn't they setup the car in a similar way to Monaco? The car was so competitive there...

wesley123

elf341 wrote:I just don't get why they removed the front wing upper cascades and the monkey seat.

Shouldn't they setup the car in a similar way to Monaco? The car was so competitive there...
Yeah I see what you mean. The only similairity between Valencia and Monaco is the walls, and that isnt even closely similar.

You got 4 long straights, I'm sure you want to speed there.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ImAnEngineer

elf341 wrote:I just don't get why they removed the front wing upper cascades and the monkey seat.

These things don't provide as much of a performance boost as you might think. Monkey seat will provide <1% of rear downforce + lots of induced drag which is bad on a circuit like this which has long straights.

snoop1050

brawn said on a bbc interview that new updates were coming for silverstone.

hopefully they improve the exhaust exit as if you look on just about every other car it would seem its the one area mercedes can improve on alot

raymondu999

The Lotus has no exhaust trickery and is still very good - I still don't think exhausts are the answer. Exhausts could maybe be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but I think there's also a lot to gain through a more "organic" development of the car too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hemsy

raymondu999 wrote:The Lotus has no exhaust trickery and is still very good - I still don't think exhausts are the answer. Exhausts could maybe be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but I think there's also a lot to gain through a more "organic" development of the car too.
This. With the ban on EBD, the most a team can gain from the exhausts in 2 or 3 tenths. Having said that, however, in a season as tight as this one, just 2 or 3 tenths can mean the difference between winning & just barely finishing in the top 10. It is, however, a well known fact that Merc overheat their tires more than the other teams so maybe they have more to lose than gain from changing their exhaust set up.

ArchAngel

raymondu999 wrote:The Lotus has no exhaust trickery and is still very good - I still don't think exhausts are the answer. Exhausts could maybe be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but I think there's also a lot to gain through a more "organic" development of the car too.
Pretty much my sentiments from a few races ago. Hence, I wasn't too bothered about every other team trying out every possible combination & permutation of exhaust configurations they could copy off others. Developments in this area could still happen in the W03, but at the moment I don't think the team not frantically falling over themselves in an exhausting copy-test-copy-test loop (like a dog chasing it's tail) is in any way a sign that the team dropped the development ball in this particular area.