Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

You can see the ground through the mini DD, so it must be the starter hole.
Honda!

BorisTheBlade

My 2 cents:
  • The "duct" is simply the crash structure as someone mentioned before. Remember that it has to be connected to something as rigid as the gearbox or the engine to fulfill that role. Furthermore it's no surprise that it is shaped aerodynamically in such a sensitive region.
  • For me it makes sense to have the "Mini"-DDD blown by a slit on the upper side of the floor. It just works like the starter hole worked in the last years - fast and therefore high-energized air from above the floor helps "pulling" air out of the Diffuser. As IIRC Scarbs said the aim of their exhaust is to further support that solution.
    It seems to be legal because of the 15cm area left and right of the centreline being not as restricted by the rules (as was also stated before).

ForMuLaOne

BorisTheBlade wrote:My 2 cents:
  • The "duct" is simply the crash structure as someone mentioned before. Remember that it has to be connected to something as rigid as the gearbox or the engine to fulfill that role. Furthermore it's no surprise that it is shaped aerodynamically in such a sensitive region.
  • For me it makes sense to have the "Mini"-DDD blown by a slit on the upper side of the floor. It just works like the starter hole worked in the last years - fast and therefore high-energized air from above the floor helps "pulling" air out of the Diffuser. As IIRC Scarbs said the aim of their exhaust is to further support that solution.
    It seems to be legal because of the 15cm area left and right of the centreline being not as restricted by the rules (as was also stated before).
The"duct" is actually the junction between the beamwing and the chassis. As the whole Rearwing is held by it, it needs to be a tad bigger than most.

Huntresa

And you are wrong too, no one used the loophole, cause it used to much gasoline and could possibly damage the enginge quite badly.

Crucial_Xtreme

Mercedes AMG W03 Diffuser

image via Jose Luis

Translation coming ASAP

amouzouris

its italian...and from what i can understand the title is saying that ferrari are studying the mercedes type diffuser..
Last edited by amouzouris on 28 Feb 2012, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

amouzouris

also in the middle with bold black letters it says that in the middle 15 cm they are allowed to have that mini ddd and it is getting air from the engine cover(i suppose the air from inside the engine cover thus those weird pipes inside it) and the exhaust gases that are attached to the sidepods...

SiLo

They don't have a double diffuser. It's not there, it wasn't last year and it isn't this year. It's just a standard or fancy gurney. /rant
Felipe Baby!

dren

SiLo, have you looked at the pictures? It is indeed a DD. A picture I posted earlier shows you can see through the "fancy gurny" exit to the ground, which means the "fancy gurny" and the diffuser are connected. See here...

Honda!

radosav

[i]http://www.flickr.com/photos/73092712@N ... /lightbox/[/i] is there hole in rb8's floor too?
Last edited by radosav on 28 Feb 2012, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

ForMuLaOne

I really do not believe that the channel that comes out of the engine cover feeds the diffusor slot underneath the crash structure. It may be that the air evacuates through the slot in the beam wing. But the slot in the diffuser surely is not fed by anything that does not provide a certain velocity of an airmass. You don`t want to create any type of pressure behind the diffusor, but the maximum air expansion in order to create suction underneath the car. So what i believe is that we will see a slotted beamwing and a slotted diffusor(which they already ran last season) at some point in 2012 season. With slotted i mean a slotted gurney flap.

Ferraripilot

What would the benefit be from blowing the beam wing to the mini DDD? I certainly don't see any.

dren

ForMuLaOne wrote:I really do not believe that the channel that comes out of the engine cover feeds the diffusor slot underneath the crash structure. It may be that the air evacuates through the slot in the beam wing. But the slot in the diffuser surely is not fed by anything that does not provide a certain velocity of an airmass. You don`t want to create any type of pressure behind the diffusor, but the maximum air expansion in order to create suction underneath the car. So what i believe is that we will see a slotted beamwing and a slotted diffusor(which they already ran last season) at some point in 2012 season. With slotted i mean a slotted gurney flap.
I don't think the tube is feeding the DD. I think it is blowing the beam or rear wing somehow. Perhaps from the end plates instead of the actual wing. The DD looks to increase the diffuser exit volume by connection through the starter hole.

The beam wing looks like it already has a slotted gurney.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

dren wrote: I don't think the tube is feeding the DD. I think it is blowing the beam or rear wing somehow. Perhaps from the end plates instead of the actual wing. The DD looks to increase the diffuser exit volume by connection through the starter hole.

The beam wing looks like it already has a slotted gurney.

Exactly my assessment. They are simply taking advantage of the CFM yielded from the starter hole positioned in a certain way in the diffuser. The actual volume of the diffuser increases, but I suspect they are saying it's part of the crash structure? That's they only way I fan figure they are getting away with it as they are gaining approx 80-100sq cm diffuser volume with such an expansion which is probably worth a couple tenths.

Rikhart

radosav wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/73092712@N ... /lightbox/ is there hole in rb8's floor too?
If that is a hole, its a massive one!