Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Has anyone done a CFD model on the starter hole blown diffuser addition? I find myself constantly wondering how much their small volume addition to their diffuser adds.

beelsebob

Ferraripilot wrote:Has anyone done a CFD model on the starter hole blown diffuser addition? I find myself constantly wondering how much their small volume addition to their diffuser adds.
It's not so much about the volume added, but the energy of the air flowing through that section – if you can get it going faster, at lower preasure than the rest of the diffuser then you'll suck air out of the diffuser and make all of it operate more efficiently.

Ferraripilot

beelsebob wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Has anyone done a CFD model on the starter hole blown diffuser addition? I find myself constantly wondering how much their small volume addition to their diffuser adds.
It's not so much about the volume added, but the energy of the air flowing through that section – if you can get it going faster, at lower preasure than the rest of the diffuser then you'll suck air out of the diffuser and make all of it operate more efficiently.

Could the starter hole add a nozzle effect then? I certainly don't see a flat hole as being all too capable of that..... I could however see the starter hole as being positioned in such am oblique way that it could be fed at an optimal rate

thomin

Nickel

:shock: Wow! That is quite the "starter motor hole". Great picture!

Blackout

Another photo on the ducted cooling outlet and the diffuser

Owen.C93

Just to clarify that isn't a starter motor hole. It's just where they've placed two sides below the crash structure to make a little outlet. It looks like they've used the RBR style ducts to feed that make shift hole rather than utilising an oversize starter motor hole lower down on the diffuser.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Nickel

Owen.C93 wrote:Just to clarify that isn't a starter motor hole. It's just where they've placed two sides below the crash structure to make a little outlet. It looks like they've used the RBR style ducts to feed that make shift hole rather than utilising an oversize starter motor hole lower down on the diffuser.

So this outlet is fed by air above the floor?

Ferraripilot

Nickel wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Just to clarify that isn't a starter motor hole. It's just where they've placed two sides below the crash structure to make a little outlet. It looks like they've used the RBR style ducts to feed that make shift hole rather than utilising an oversize starter motor hole lower down on the diffuser.

There was some conjecture earlier that might be the case, but I doubt it's blown by anywhere other than the starter hole. Still difficult to say though.

xpensive

Blackout wrote:Another photo on the ducted cooling outlet and the diffuser

This is xactly what I mean, if it looks right, it most probably is right.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Owen.C93

Nickel wrote:

Yes it looks like it, you can see some ducts in some other photos.
Ferraripilot wrote:
Nickel wrote:

There was some conjecture earlier that might be the case, but I doubt it's blown by anywhere other than the starter hole. Still difficult to say though.
The starter motor hole is that little circle further down.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Ferraripilot

Yes but look a few pages back and you will see a clear picture of the starter hole through this new mini DDD.

Ferraripilot

I'm surprised I didn't think of this before, but could it be possible that there is a vacuum effect taking place from the starter hole? This could be possible by the floor blowing the area over the starter hole allowing the pressure difference between the diffuser to suck air through the starter hole into this mini DDD?

Crucial_Xtreme

About the W03's exhaust & diffuser. AutoSport's Gary Anderson say that Mercedes is doing this:

The W03 appears to use the hot air from the exhausts & the cooling outlet at the base of the engine cover, directing it towards the upper surfaceof a central section of the diffuser. This section is partly formed from the underside of the crash structure in a similar way to what we saw during the double diffuser days. But instead of being fed airflow through the now banned slots in the flow, it takes it from the flow energized by the differing pressures of hot air flowing over it and cool air through it. Enhancing the effect are the curved splitters(strakes)within the diffuser, which appear to be for turning the airflow coming through it towards that raised central section.

MercAMGF1Fans

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:About the W03's exhaust & diffuser. AutoSport's Gary Anderson say that Mercedes is doing this:

The W03 appears to use the hot air from the exhausts & the cooling outlet at the base of the engine cover, directing it towards the upper surfaceof a central section of the diffuser. This section is partly formed from the underside of the crash structure in a similar way to what we saw during the double diffuser days. But instead of being fed airflow through the now banned slots in the flow, it takes it from the flow energized by the differing pressures of hot air flowing over it and cool air through it. Enhancing the effect are the curved splitters(strakes)within the diffuser, which appear to be for turning the airflow coming through it towards that raised central section.
And this is LEGAL? [-o< :D