Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

Nando
Nando

It looks like from the intake and backwards, the sidepods are very similar to Sauber´s.

Almost no undercut, just a small blob sticking out for the Mclaren exhaust.
Just a slight undercut under the intake but sidepod-sides looks pretty vertical to me.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Lurk

Blackout wrote:Looks like the MP4 23's engine cover 'channels' to me
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/2 ... 600x0w.jpg
Or the Brawn
http://finemodelcars.com/hi-res/hi_res_ ... worked.jpg
The frontmost part looks (to me at least) like the rearest part of MP4-23's channel. But there may be something more at the rear and lower that could be an intake (like W01). Or as you saif another channel like on the Brawn (kind of massive double channel - didn't think of that). Position is closer to the W01 intake position, but in or out..? (if even it exists)

krizalid1001
krizalid1001

Another one

krizalid1001
krizalid1001

Enhenced. For better résolution right clic + open in a new tab

ScottB
ScottB

Can only assume that churning out a largely evolutionary car is down to them putting everything into next year.

Still disappointing, was hoping for something new, or at least a hint of them moving towards either the Mclaren or the Red Bull style of cars, not just smoothing out the nose of the W03 and carrying on.

Can only hope they've at least figured out how to make whatever exhaust system they've went with work...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

krizalid1001 wrote:Enhenced. For better résolution right clic + open in a new tab
I guess that's the passive DRS in the middle of the rear wing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Spacepace

Looks like Iike their are flow conditioners below the mirror.

mozza_84
mozza_84

Deleted as pointed out below shall go to spec savers there's no drag reduction system :wtf: lol
Last edited by mozza_84 on 04 Feb 2013, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

AMG.Tzan

mozza_84 wrote:
krizalid1001 wrote:Enhenced. For better résolution right clic + open in a new tab
Look closely at the back end in front off the monkey seat the long thin pipe. this really looks like any other car they have made common there's a drag reduction system on there definitely. just remember people this car was fast on its day so with the crap scrapped that didn't work last and with the advanced knowledge of the drag reduction system plus a workin Coanda or Coanda ramp system should make this w04 a lot more competitive this year.
Guys look closely and for about 5 minutes...this is not a pipe...it's the background!! I was also amazed when i saw it but after some more detail looking i realized it was not a pipe! :wink: Though let's hope i am wrong!! [-o<
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

mozza_84
mozza_84

AMG.Tzan wrote:
mozza_84 wrote:
Look closely at the back end in front off the monkey seat the long thin pipe. this really looks like any other car they have made common there's a drag reduction system on there definitely. just remember people this car was fast on its day so with the crap scrapped that didn't work last and with the advanced knowledge of the drag reduction system plus a workin Coanda or Coanda ramp system should make this w04 a lot more competitive this year.
Guys look closely and for about 5 minutes...this is not a pipe...it's the background!! I was also amazed when i saw it but after some more detail looking i realized it was not a pipe! :wink: Though let's hope i am wrong!!

Haha I was wrong oh well eyes do decieve

Nando
Nando

It looks like something HRT would cook up but with more money.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Nando wrote:It looks like something HRT would cook up but with more money.
The HRT was the Brawn car.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

The lack of attention to detail and refinement is what worries me about Mercedes

Sauber,Lotus,McLaren and Redbull all have their base sorted out and are refining all the nice small details.

Morteza

Nando wrote:It looks like something HRT would cook up but with more money.
HRT had a better livery.
Anyway it seems we're in for another !@#$%^ Mercedes this year again.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare