Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nando
Nando

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

Morteza wrote:HRT had a better livery.
That´s true lol, my mistake.

no but seriously, i bet a dead person would have more creativity then the design team at Mercedes.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Glyn
Glyn

Nando wrote:

no but seriously, i bet a dead person would have more creativity then the design team at Mercedes.
Mercedes could be the Microsoft of Formula 1.

diego1960

Well, how many more ex-TD's do we need to get the job done? How many "cooks" are necessary to serve a nice plate for dinner and not the maggoty bread that Mercedes fans are getting used to?

Then what about the job ad's on their website? Are they still hiring? Didn't MSC say that everything is in place now for Merc to succeed? If so then why are there at least 9 jobs seeking employees?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Cocles

Perhaps it's tough to remember this without the red paint, but this is an Aldo Costa designed evolution. Rear down force has been the bain of the BGP-01 bloodline since the DD's were taken away, so the real question is, "What has Aldo done in the back?" Of course, this is the one part of the car we really can't see at all, which was no doubt by design as part of this unveiling.

Interesting to see the monkey seat presented as if it's now a standard component of the car. It was mentioned that it could now be part of the passive DRS system, but that's not the sort of thing used at every track.

I'm glad they didn't go for front pull-rod. They've had enough trouble with suspension setup as is. Once the car is sitting in the sweet spot at every race THEN we can start talking about pull-rod.

A big question is, what have they done with their interlinked suspension?

If this is a refined W03 that doesn't eat its tires, we could be in for some fun.

As mentioned, I liked the livery of the W02 and W03... it looks as if the Petronas teal is taking over more of the car though, which isn't great. They should use Alubeam Silver on this car (if they're not already), with black accents as needed and minimal teal. Closer to this:

wesley123
wesley123

Glyn wrote:
Nando wrote:

Mercedes could be the Microsoft of Formula 1.
Not really, Microsoft is successful
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

diego1960

It would look perfect! Just imagine Schumi's helmet with all the red areas becoming black 8) sitting in the car with the livery you describe. Then again, the silver helmet used in SPA matched perfectly too.

Another idea I saw in another forum from a fan-made image was to ditch the teal from everywhere and instead put a giant Petronas logo extending from the sidepod to the engine cover at every side. And keep the rest of the car silver with little black parts as the picture you posted above.

Problem is though that they have no imagination. Teal doesn't bode well with silver, unless teal is only used in the logo I said above, which strangely enough looks more than ok! I wonder, didn't they test alternative liveries in the computer? And if yes, that was the best they could come up with?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

flmkane
flmkane

Is this for real? You all are bashing a car based THAT low quality picture?

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

:-| I can wait until the actual launch. :-"

seventhsin

flmkane wrote:Is this for real? You all are bashing a car based THAT low quality picture?
My thoughts exactly, I know this forum is overflowing with F1 nutcases, but this is like a flock of seagulls fighting over the last chip at the beach.

Someone hit the nail on the head a page or two back when they said 'would have to visit a UFO conspiracy site to see this much over a shoddy, grainy photo'.

Twitter is HARDLY the right medium to launch your F1 Car for the year, Mercedes are just trying to create hype and buzz around the car by exploiting social media, and its worked.

Have a look how many pages this thread has reached, and all anyone has seen is a poorly cropped photoshop of an old car.

Well played Mercedes, hope your engineers are as clever as your marketing team.

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

seventhsin wrote:
flmkane wrote:Is this for real? You all are bashing a car based THAT low quality picture?
My thoughts exactly, I know this forum is overflowing with F1 nutcases, but this is like a flock of seagulls fighting over the last chip at the beach.

Someone hit the nail on the head a page or two back when they said 'would have to visit a UFO conspiracy site to see this much over a shoddy, grainy photo'.

Twitter is HARDLY the right medium to launch your F1 Car for the year, Mercedes are just trying to create hype and buzz around the car by exploiting social media, and its worked.

Have a look how many pages this thread has reached, and all anyone has seen is a poorly cropped photoshop of an old car.

Totally agreed!

The render looks suspiciously like w03. It doesn't match with the Lauda's : "Start from the scratch", and "Aldo's first car". Maybe their predictions for past years didn't come true, but this not means, that they lies their fans!

Raptor22
Raptor22

so while the other teams appear to have moved forward on their ideas, Mercedes seems to have painted and polished a turd.......again.

At least it has 5 wheels so its not a lego car

Raptor22
Raptor22

k.ko100v wrote:
seventhsin wrote:

Totally agreed!

The render looks suspiciously like w03. It doesn't match with the Lauda's : "Start from the scratch", and "Aldo's first car". Maybe their predictions for past years didn't come true, but this not means, that they lies their fans!

Aldo's "first car" at Ferrari looked suspiciously like Byrne's last car at Ferrari...

So no surprises that his first Mercedes would look Bigois last Mercedes

DAMNINice

From what we can see now, this car has nothing special..

Ferrari has a high nose. Sauber a freaky packaged sidepod.. and the W04?!?

just the most ugly possible modesty panel on the nose (without any idea to use it for any function) and a standard sidepod.

Let´s hope for some other great things coming today!!
REal men play with twins!

Richard
Richard

Remarkable how so much can be gleaned from squinting at a blurred image. Lets wait to see the real thing - we'll not see that until final test, or even Melbourne.

kris
kris

Considering 2014 needs a radically new car, the chances of getting one more this year are reduced considerably. The cars would be evolutionary due to almost minimal rule changes. This has been seen with others as well.

The main issues with W03 over the last year had been tyre usage, suspension setup, ineffective coanda exhaust, too slow on heavy fuel and lack of continual development. Also aero is a factor they didn't focus on for most of the year.

The changes to resolve the issues would mainly be internal. Probably the exhaust might show a different layout but thats pretty much that would be visible. Would changes for aero make it on the launch car.. may be... may be not..

So the grainy pic might be the new W04 and there might not be much reason to be concerned now unless the test starts and it takes atleast 4 horses to move the car.