Lotus E21 Renault (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diego1960

Re: Lotus E21 Renault (pre-launch speculation)

King Six wrote:The car would have looked better with a panel covering the bump, but for whatever reason they felt it was better to go ahead with just leaving it as it is. The Lotus bump was one of the smoother ones anyway, unlike Caterham/Ferrari/Mercedes, which had the worst by far out of the lot :?
Ferrari and Caterham had the worst, with Mercedes a distant third. I quite like the Lotus bump to be honest.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

motorloon1993
motorloon1993

Can't see why the car isn't sporting the 'modesty panel' surely the sponsors wan't the car to look more appealing.

Italiano
Italiano

No way that's the new car. No human in the world would leave that horrid step in plain view. A modesty panel is a must.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

They'd leave it if they believed it presented an aero advantage, the blade engine cover could be utilising the airflow sent slightly upstream by the gentle slope (E20 and E21 sport a slope rather than the step others did)
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

stefan_
stefan_

I'm waiting for the launch and the official pictures to have a good look at the car - especially at the exhaust and engine cover. That red on the airbox and sidepods is horrendous.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

N12ck

its the e20 repainted with added winglets + redbull ramp
Budding F1 Engineer

Nando
Nando

engine cover looks like it´s a vacuum bag someone has sucked all the air out of.

Love the RBR exhaust. looks great
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Gridlock

We have a frontrunner for 'most disappointed with a 2013 car reveal'...
diego1960 wrote:Let's just hope that for 2013 they lose the red areas in the wings and replace them with black. It messes a really nice and historic livery if you ask me.
PS stuck at work? Got Sky? Here's a link to remote record the launch:

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/4049/515

RicerDude

launch is delayed, markey blew away apparently, lol.

stefan_
stefan_

Sky Sports F1 ‏@SkySportsF1

Slight hiccup for Lotus: original plan to launch the E21 in a marquee thwarted by freak winds. Event now taking place on factory floor
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

gray41

I dont mind the airbox area that is red but the sidepod red is horrific, one car that needed no red really.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

stefan_
stefan_

I think the engine cover / exhaust area will be more refined, it looks too "raw".

Mika1
Mika1

gray41 wrote:I dont mind the airbox area that is red but the sidepod red is horrific, one car that needed no red really.
They shouldn't change the 2012 livery, the red is terrible imo.
The boss follows me on twitter.

f1316
f1316

I would have thought they'd put the modesty panel on for the launch, even if they were going to end up evaluating it's merits/taking it off to race

stefan_
stefan_

Fasten your seatbelts, the streaming has begun.