Williams FW35 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vasconia

Re: Williams FW35 (pre-launch speculation)

Neno wrote:
Sevach wrote:I never expected Williams to go for a late launch.
Agree, last year they were among first who tested car, even they go before season testing in Algarve Portimão run some
new aerodynamic test. This year, miss first test, I am very suprised, specially when one of drivers is rookie (even with
some experience driving last year car).

I dont know is this have something with, financial situation or some late discovery in wind tunnel, but missing first test is
not good sign, specialy when regulations are 99% same from last year.
True, but Bottas will driver the old car with some new parts in the first test which is not bad at all, its risky move because Mercedes did the same and it didnt worked. I hope they have some brilliant ideas and they want to hide them.

Sevach
Sevach

Correct, they will still test at Valencia, only not with the FW35, i don't see this being any problem for Bottas.

Otherwise, i don't know what to say about this decision, are they late? i have difficult to seeing that...
if it was a planned thing, what's the objective?

nemoqueverto
nemoqueverto

Don't thing they are in trouble. You have to remember that Williams is among the most financialy efficient companies in Britain. They won many awards for that. The FW34 wasn't terrible car in that respect and if FW35 is an ewolution - you do not need to spent millions of euros to develop it and put it on the right path. But that is only my view.
E=mc²

Gridlock

Neno wrote:but missing first test is not good sign, specialy when regulations are 99% same from last year.
Eh? Surely it's far less cause for concern when the regs are so unchanged? Seeing how chances are most of the cars we'll see are evolutions of '12 cars anyway.

Also; putting 2013 parts on a known-and-documented 2012 car is a very nice thing to do for those here who like their photo interpretation.

Neno
Neno

Gridlock wrote:
Neno wrote:but missing first test is not good sign, specialy when regulations are 99% same from last year.
Eh? Surely it's far less cause for concern when the regs are so unchanged? Seeing how chances are most of the cars we'll see are evolutions of '12 cars anyway.

Also; putting 2013 parts on a known-and-documented 2012 car is a very nice thing to do for those here who like their photo interpretation.
yes but see what happend mercedes last year. you need to know your car good, every possible testing in this time is valuable, without some breakdown disovery in wind tunnel i dont see advantages in this move.

Sevach
Sevach

Mercedes was actually quite competitive early on, they just couldn't develop the car.

Brawn and Red Bull had late launches before and went on to win the title, the late launch is a weird thing, but not a sign of impending doom.

KATO

Sevach wrote:Mercedes was actually quite competitive early on, they just couldn't develop the car.

Brawn and Red Bull had late launches before and went on to win the title, the late launch is a weird thing, but not a sign of impending doom.
Last season RedBull showed up with a more normal exhaust set up and later on went on to develop their coanda version... William say they want to test out some part ON the 2012 car and then bring in their 2013 car. There could be some advantages to doing this. They will have a strong reference point to work off with this years tires and understanding tires is key. So this might be a great thing for them towards the end of the season..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

zoro_f1

perhaps because they lose one key aerodymic engineer, [Martin Bester] who is now at ferrari... also the departure of mark gillan. :?
Neno wrote:
Sevach wrote:I never expected Williams to go for a late launch.
Agree, last year they were among first who tested car, even they go before season testing in Algarve Portimão run some
new aerodynamic test. This year, miss first test, I am very suprised, specially when one of drivers is rookie (even with
some experience driving last year car).

I dont know is this have something with, financial situation or some late discovery in wind tunnel, but missing first test is
not good sign, specialy when regulations are 99% same from last year.
Last edited by zoro_f1 on 19 Jan 2013, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Francesc
Francesc

According to Bottas not lauching the FW35 until the second test was planned long time ago. So they know what they're doing.

Sevach
Sevach

Whatever the reason they choose to do it this way, that's good news.

Seamus
Seamus

FW35?

Blackout

zoro_f1

there is no stepped nose on this version of last years car! Image
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

zoro_f1

looks like 2011 car. Image

Blackout

It is 2012 car