McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Rhodium

Re: McLaren MP4-28

King Six wrote:
And if McLaren have already done this?

I'm sorry, but it does not seem to be possible.

ties of the front wing can not be so high.
the "cache" step, can not raise the nose.

the maximum height of the top of the nose must be respected.

or so, it means that the front wing and its attachments are on the cover?
i can't beleive that.
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

Tim.Wright

The modesty panel doesn't have to respect that limit, only the crash structure as I understand.
Not the engineer at Force India

Huntresa

Rhodium wrote: the maximum height of the top of the nose must be respected.

or so, it means that the front wing and its attachments are on the cover?
i can't beleive that.
Why cant fw attatch there ? The panel is carbon fibre incorporated on and beyond the Main structure. Nothing makes fw attatchment impossible there.
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 20:59, edited 2 times in total.

King Six

stefan_ wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9o9d4oBz8[/youtube]

Great video, incredible how much access McLaren have given the car to them! Must be nothing like what they're actually going to race with then :P

PlatinumZealot

The front wing has to be part of the real nose. Otherwise you might as well well make the vanity panel a heaping heavy chunk of carbon fiber and nuts and bolts to take the hundreds of poundso downforce from the FW.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Huntresa

You gotta realize the grey area on the pic is where we are getting the benefit, instead of having to have structure there they add it on top as the panel and therefor remove it from underneath

thestig84

Huntresa wrote:
King Six wrote:EDIT: Sorry if it's already been brought up before

The nose really is much higher, I initially thought it was low until seeing some other angles. I wonder if any teams will exploit what Scarbs said about using the fairing to create a very high nose.

They have done exactly that.
Im not sure if that is or isnt possible but Mclaren definitely haven't done it. Look at the side on launch pic. 28 nose is a long way off being table top level like Scarbs drawing.
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 21:00, edited 2 times in total.

Huntresa

n smikle wrote:The front wing has to be part of the real nose. Otherwise you might as well well make the vanity panel a heaping heavy chunk of carbon fiber and nuts and bolts to take the hundreds of poundso downforce from the FW.
Well its attatched to something cause its quite obv that McLaren are using this loophole

Lurk

Maybe "non-structural" should be understand as "nothing attached". Still, FW can be attached to nosecone and the panel extends further it.

Anyway McLaren didn't use this trick.

Huntresa

thestig84 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
King Six wrote:EDIT: Sorry if it's already been brought up before

The nose really is much higher, I initially thought it was low until seeing some other angles. I wonder if any teams will exploit what Scarbs said about using the fairing to create a very high nose.

They have done exactly that.
Im not sure if that is or isnt possible but Mclaren definitely haven't down it. Look at the side on launch pic. 28 nose is a long way off being table top level like Scarbs drawing.
Dude, the nose we saw today couldnt have been as high as it was if it wasnt using this trick

Huntresa

Lurk wrote:Maybe "non-structural" should be understand as "nothing attached". Still, FW can be attached to nosecone and the panel extends further it.

So we shouldnt Believe scarbs standing next to the car with his hands on it and saying they were using this trick ???

McMrocks

edit: wrong post by me

Rhodium

you mean like this?
(the "Mclaren" part is the cache)

I did not know that the cache could extend the nose and affect aerodynamics.
but if it is allowed, why not.

thestig84

Huntresa wrote:
Lurk wrote:Maybe "non-structural" should be understand as "nothing attached". Still, FW can be attached to nosecone and the panel extends further it.

So we shouldnt Believe scarbs standing next to the car with his hands on it and saying they were using this trick ???
Err I think you need to watch the video again. He says nothing about this 'trick' or 'loophole' He is simply talking about Mclarens well talked about raised chassis compared to last year and the use of the vanity panel purely for looks/clean airflow. Look at the 28 again and the picture you seem to have convinced yourself is like the 28. Not remotely alike.

allstaruk08

the best side picture i could find was from india, i can see a lot of similarities is some areas but i think overall the shape of the main areas are very different which i didn't expect, obviously the monocoque is higher on the 28, the backbone of the engine cover looks tighter and finishes lower at the back of the car on the 28, the exhausts end in a very similar position and angle but the shape of the sidepods looks more defined on the 28, the sidepods also look like they start further back than they do on the 27 but it might be the bulge on the top edge that gives that effect and they might start in the same position. just my opinion on how i see the cars, so what do you all think?