McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: McLaren MP4-28

Holm86 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfFjUIbczw

Some lauch highlights. That was a great launch. Lotus could learn some here.

And what a great host. Plus shes extremly hot :)
The part with the old and new cars was neat. I bet everyone was thinking that they are going to hear the new car's engine when they got the ear plugs.
Lotus had trouble with their initial setup, that's why their launch was more "raw". They had the nice laser show though.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Shakeman

beelsebob wrote:Quite a big difference Shakeman:
I was meaning the 27 with the raised nose vs the 28.

McMrocks

Shakeman wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Quite a big difference Shakeman:
I was meaning the 27 with the raised nose vs the 28.
Not only the nose tip counts. For example, RB has lowered the nose tip during the season. The high of the chassis counts too. And in this area the 28 is a bit (not very much) higher

turbof1

Can someone make a frontal comparison picture?
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

Could be nice to compare a sideview photo of the 28 and the 27 with the raised nose.

Websta

Shouldn't you guys be comparing the MP4-28 with the 27 raced in Brazil rather than the launch spec in these photo comparisons? Difficult to find matching angles I guess, but wouldn't it be more meaningful to see the development since Brazil?

turbof1

In theory yes, BUT all the launch cars are shot at the exact same angle with the exact same dept of field. Try to find a picture that was taken with the exact same properities. Almost impossible. With this we can atleast measure some differences.
#AeroFrodo

Shakeman

Websta wrote:Shouldn't you guys be comparing the MP4-28 with the 27 raced in Brazil rather than the launch spec in these photo comparisons? Difficult to find matching angles I guess, but wouldn't it be more meaningful to see the development since Brazil?
That's precisely what we're trying to do but as you rightly point out there may not be an angle available of the final spec 27.

ESPImperium

Coefficient wrote:
Holm86 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfFjUIbczw[/youtube]

Some lauch highlights. That was a great launch. Lotus could learn some here.

And what a great host. Plus shes extremly hot :)
Not half mate, She does the Sky TV show alongside Anthony Davidson! Well tasty!!
Natalie dosnt do the F1 show with Kravits & Davidson, thats Georgie Thompson.

Still good looking.

Back OT.

Looks like many of the teams will be a subtle evolution of the 2012 cars will be the trend. 2014 will be a better year for radical changes i think.

ell66

Car looks as I expected it to, no doubt it'll be fast but will we see it due to the mediocre drivers?!
I expect a lot of details to emerge before the first race, the exhaust will no doubt be changed, as will the side pod vanes, floor and the front wing.

Huntresa

gibells wrote:Sorry, getting a bit confused here. Could anyone explain what advantage McLaren would have in building a stepped nose and placing a cover over it? I understand the advantage of raising the nose, but how is there any benefit in a cover when the tip of the nose must be at the same height?
Thats the Point, the nose structure can end earlier and then the panel is the tip and at the highest point

RicerDude

Look at the bulges on the top of the sidepods in the 3D model. They have smaller versions of the flow conditioners as seen on the *27.

Link to 3D model: http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/page/se ... d-personal

It also features the USA spec front wing.
Last edited by RicerDude on 31 Jan 2013, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

King Six

EDIT: Sorry if it's already been brought up before

The nose really is much higher, I initially thought it was low until seeing some other angles. I wonder if any teams will exploit what Scarbs said about using the fairing to create a very high nose.

And if McLaren have already done this?

Huntresa

King Six wrote:EDIT: Sorry if it's already been brought up before

The nose really is much higher, I initially thought it was low until seeing some other angles. I wonder if any teams will exploit what Scarbs said about using the fairing to create a very high nose.

And if McLaren have already done this?
They have done exactly that.
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jan 2013, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985