Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F138

Nira Juanco ‏@njuancof1
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Dream Theater

They added a monkey seat.

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez Day 1

F1 Fanatic

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

.poz
.poz

I suppose that this image close any speculation on Ferrari nose tip. If it were made by the "vanity panel" i suppose they will not use it to push the car...

stefan_
stefan_

Forza

Jerez day 1

Crabbia
Crabbia

.poz wrote:I suppose that this image close any speculation on Ferrari nose tip. If it were made by the "vanity panel" i suppose they will not use it to push the car...

[/img]
The vanity panel would have to endure pressure from air flowing at it of over 300km per hour. Still think the engineer is pretty confident, given that it would have to be designed for this, that its strong enough to be pushed on the nose tip.

Still think they use that loophole.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

stefan_
stefan_

Last edited by stefan_ on 05 Feb 2013, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

turbof1

A little bit off-topic: I am still wondering, is it possible to shape the half-shaft to a wing, like the beamwing?
#AeroFrodo

Raptor22
Raptor22

henra wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:think of the bottom of the car as a converging diverging thermodynamic nozzle. the more mass y9ou get through it, the higher the expansion ratio the more efficient the nozzle and therefore the lower th pressure at the throat.
If the throat is the "kink" line where the flat botom ends and thre diffuser begins the higher the mass through there, the lower the pressure the higher the downforce from the underbody.
There is a trade off. More mass flow is good. But only if you can maintain the expansion ratio.
If the expansion is constant more mass flow could be achived at the price of less expansion. Depending on how the relation between mass flow and expansion ratio is you could have a net loss or gain.
Assuming that the overall expansion size is limited by diffuser regulation more mass flow under the ffloor will only be good if you can achieve more airflow over the floor as well, improving expansion ratio.
Therefore you want more air under the car but you will want to use most of it over the diffuser and only a small fraction under it to increase mass flow.

Correct, for the given air density, and volume under the car there is a critical mass. Above that and the diffuser chokes. Below that and you get suboptimum performance.
the designer wants the diffuser to work in a narrow range or suboptimal to optimal. Stalled or choked diffusers have nasty consequences

Forghieri

Is that last year's diffuser? With a completely redesigned rear, i would've expected a new one.
Than again it's the first day of testing, they're probably not showing all their cards.
Do you feel you can beat the Red Bulls, either to pole position or the race itself?
Fernando Alonso: "I prefer to beat them on Sunday."

stefan_
stefan_

Fry said they will be implementing and testing new bits gradually during the testing session and a big package at the end, so expect for a lot more things to change.

Mr.G

In the last picture of the nose pillar, near the bottom of it, there is a V like shaped cut out. Was it there all time? I was looking for similar picture of F2012 nose but not successful. It looks like it is cut out tho allow the front wing to move.

EDIT - oh, now I realised its a uper section flap. So I'm taking back :) Not a cut out.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

stefan_
stefan_

stefan_
stefan_