Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F138

"If it appeared to be bigger after Massa's heat problems" I should say. Yes, it was there and they maybe just changed it to a larger one for better cooling after Massa experienced too much heat(?). My main idea is that the "thing" is 90% there for cooling purposes and I doubt it has a secondary function.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Redragon

It might be just for cooling but I don't think it was an improvised solution. The way it is part of the structure feels to me it was thought through before the 1st week of tests.

infy
infy

I dont see why it would be improvised. Heating was always going to be one of the unknowns and so they probably had a temp nose made before the test just in case they needed additional cooling. By the time pedro got into the car, they had all their aero data and so they could afford to disrupt the airflow in order to offer better cooling.

I hope it is something special like DRD, but to be honest, I dont want them wasting too much time on something that they might not ever get right.

stefan_
stefan_

infy wrote:I dont see why it would be improvised. Heating was always going to be one of the unknowns and so they probably had a temp nose made before the test just in case they needed additional cooling.
That's what I think too.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

zoro_f1

does Alonso have problems with heating too? does Sauber drivers have problems too? :roll:
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

infy
infy

zoro_f1 wrote:does Alonso have problems with heating too? does Sauber drivers have problems too? :roll:
Did those two catch on fire?

FrukostScones

infy wrote:
zoro_f1 wrote:does Alonso have problems with heating too? does Sauber drivers have problems too? :roll:
man, do you really think it is for cooling their nuts (and bolts)?

the hole was there last year, is there this year, but bigger (different nose cones, LOOK no reflection or whatever, go back in the thread). It is not (solely) for drivers cooling (that might be a side benefit).

Sauber slot works different, but RedBull last year and Lotus last year had the same feeding of air into the bulkhead, so did those drivers had too hot nuts too?

http://video.gazzetta.it/segreti-nuova- ... f15c0e0622

here is the gazzettta dello sport analysis, some native Italian could maybe explain wht they think the purpose of the inlet is ( I cant understand it, too difficult)
Last edited by FrukostScones on 11 Feb 2013, 12:57, edited 5 times in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

aral
aral

FYI. Alonso was not even at Jerez. And what has Sauber to do with cockpit cooling in the Ferrari?

Redragon

FrukostScones wrote:
infy wrote:
man, do you really think it is for cooling their nuts (and bolts)?

the hole was there last year, is there this year, but bigger (different nose cones, LOOK no reflection or whatever, go back in the thread). It is not (solely) for drivers cooling (that might be a side benefit).

Sauber slot works different, but RedBull last year and Lotus last year had the same feeding of air into the bulkhead, so did those drivers had too hot nuts too?

http://video.gazzetta.it/segreti-nuova- ... f15c0e0622

here is the gazzettta dello sport analysis, some native Italian could maybe explain wht they think the purpose of the inlet is ( I cant understand it, too difficult)
I understand a bit of italian, they just say that the last day of test Ferrari added this element and talk more or less what have said on this thread about preasure and air fluid. Nothing really clear.

Mr.G

I take a closer look on this picture, and there can be seen the normal inlet. If the big one is reale, its quite big in comparison to the original one.

IMO for now (until there will be better shot) it's reflection of the rear edge of the front wing or somethnig like that.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Redragon

stefan_ wrote:
infy wrote:I dont see why it would be improvised. Heating was always going to be one of the unknowns and so they probably had a temp nose made before the test just in case they needed additional cooling.
That's what I think too.

What I was meaning is. That it was planned before the testing days. No improvised during that period because of the short time to do changes on the structure.

It is something has been thought on the wind tunnel for cooling or other matters.

zoro_f1

guy's... please chill out a little. :wtf:

i was asking about sauber because they use same engines as ferrari and i didn't mention toro rosso... also, engine is the biggest source of heat... i think that you don't have problems with that... or am i wrong again :!: :?: :?

alonso was not in jerez, but he is in ferrari all the time and he knows everything about his new car. and hopefully we will get more explanation about the question how heat is in ferrari seat after barcelona test when alonso will get first taste.

i dont understand italian and also i dont use google.translate because it's a robotic translate and usually we cannot get right translations from other languages to english. there is too many errors to be corrected to get right meaning of the sentences.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Maxion
Maxion

Mr.G wrote: IMO for now (until there will be better shot) it's reflection of the rear edge of the front wing or somethnig like that.

Well, as a photographer I can tell you that it is definitely not a reflection. Large, square edged reflection with very fast light fall-of do not occur in shadows like that, nor is there anything that is dark and of that shape that could be the reflection.

Either it's a piece of black tape, carbon weave going paralel to the rest of the weave in the same are and thus reflecting light differently or it's a hole.

My intuition and skill says that it is a hole.

THENOMAD79
THENOMAD79

the hole definitely, but let to see what experts have to say :wink:

Shakeman

Maxion wrote:
Mr.G wrote: IMO for now (until there will be better shot) it's reflection of the rear edge of the front wing or somethnig like that.

Well, as a photographer I can tell you that it is definitely not a reflection. Large, square edged reflection with very fast light fall-of do not occur in shadows like that, nor is there anything that is dark and of that shape that could be the reflection.

Either it's a piece of black tape, carbon weave going paralel to the rest of the weave in the same are and thus reflecting light differently or it's a hole.

My intuition and skill says that it is a hole.
As a VFX artist, reflections are determined by the shape and properties of the surface making the reflections not the fact that it is in shadow.

You might be right but there's no way you can be sure given those images. The dark regions have been through the compression macro blocker from hell and there's mosquito noise in there for good measure. Personally I'd wait for a more conclusive image before stating something as fact.

There's an image the previous page that compares the front end from 2012 and the F138 on the right hand image there is a dark oval shadow in about the right position.

My experience says that it's a reflection until conclusive proof is posted.