Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zoro_f1

Re: Ferrari F138

this ferrari have a lot of wholes. i wonder if they are all for cooling the driver. :D

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Owen.C93

Mr.G wrote:OK now I admit, it's a hole. Hope it's something clever and incorporated in the hub :twisted:
There is a large hole in the tub for it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hairy_scotsman

zoro_f1 wrote:this ferrari have a lot of wholes. i wonder if they are all for cooling the driver. :D
Another is visible inboard of the one indicated by the arrow.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Rikhart

Owen.C93 wrote:
Mr.G wrote:OK now I admit, it's a hole. Hope it's something clever and incorporated in the hub :twisted:
Has anyone even seen the tub yet? Dont think they would show it until melbourne, when they dont have a choice.

Owen.C93

Rikhart wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
Has anyone even seen the tub yet? Dont think they would show it until melbourne, when they dont have a choice.
Yeah you can see a slot the same size as the one you see under the nose on the bare tub.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

jaba.hut

I would say that is pull rod link hole.

nhojekim

Has anyone even seen the tub yet? Dont think they would show it until melbourne, when they dont have a choice.[/quote]
Yeah you can see a slot the same size as the one you see under the nose on the bare tub.
Image[/quote]

I think the slot that you are referring to is the slot for the suspension. I definitely don't see the "intake" on this pic.

zonk

And the much discussed intake is in nosecone.

jaba.hut

Didn't see this coming:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21417831

Gary Anderson says F138 wit McL probably fastest car in Jerez.

zoro_f1

@jaba.hut

interesting article from gary anderson. thanks for the link. Image

ps - have you've been able to find han solo? поздрав :D
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Raptor22

One thing Mr Anderson fails to take into account is that some teams also don't run any ballast during testing. The cars are lighter than required for a race. Generally the first tests are just for reliability testing of new components so times are seldom anywhere near representative. His thinking is good but failing the account for ballast and even engine tuning restrictions means its still as unclear as it was January 1 2013

Redragon

I think if Redbull was last year 0.500 faster on a single lap than Ferrari, it is too optimistic from Mr Anderson that Ferrari has now this advantage and Redbull has lost a sec. I would love this scenario Mr Anderson is proposing but still to early to predict.

alexfilth

By looking at the times it's clear in my opinion that the guys at Red Bull are hiding their real pace more than the others. With that said the F138 is a very promising car but at the moment it's impossible to say more than that.

Most of you may already know this but it looks like Rory Byrne is back full time and he's working on the 2014 Ferrari.

.poz

Froggolo wrote:beside i also agree it is an air intake and not a reflection,
can someone tell if in the 2013 rules is it allowed to have air intakes in the front of the car
except the one for cooling the driver?
3.7.3 Forward of a point lying 450mm ahead of the front wheel centre line.....

3.7.8 Only a single section, which must be open, may be contained within any longitudinal vertical cross section taken parallel to the car centre line forward of a point 150mm ahead of the front wheel centre line, less than 250mm from the car centre line and more than 125mm above the reference plane.
Any cameras or camera housings approved by the FIA in addition to a single inlet aperture for the purpose of driver cooling (such aperture having a maximum projected surface area of 1500mm2 and being situated forward of the section referred to in Article 15.4.3) will be exempt from the above.

it's always xxx mm ahead the front wheel center line and F138 intake is more or less aligned with front wheel center line

munudeges

jaba.hut wrote:Didn't see this coming:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21417831

Gary Anderson says F138 wit McL probably fastest car in Jerez.
Hmmmm. He says one thing in the article and then on the video on the left tells everyone that Red Bull look as if they have 10% more downforce than anyone else. I think he's just hedging himself because Red Bull in particular have tended to be able to completely mask their pace in high fuel running in the past.

The thing about testing is you need a lot more laps and times to tell.