Sauber C32 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Sauber C32 Ferrari

patrik wrote:Nobody's talking about that FW? It's nothing like I've ever seen! So many new shapes and concepts!
Looks very exicting yes ...

Owen.C93

patrik wrote:Nobody's talking about that FW? It's nothing like I've ever seen! So many new shapes and concepts!
Same as last years though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wesley123

Owen.C93 wrote:
Same as last years though.
Indeed this wing design was introduced around a year ago already and was since then only slightly updates.

On the other hand, a new rear wing;
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Artur Craft

I was expecting more from the first FPs given the changes in FW(even if going back to some previous designs) and the use of the more regular RW

Now, I'm starting to fear these design might have some fundamental issues with it which will lead to "no potential to be unlocked"

C31 was fast and still gentle on tires while C32 is slow and average in tire degradation.

Last year, given Koba's speed on Q2 and Perez's Q3 time, it was likely Kamui could've qualified ahead of Alonso(as Perez was only 0,2s away) if wasn't for car failure in Q3, making him start 2nd on grid, if I'm not mistaken

If they can reach Q3 this year, it will be already one hell of an achievement with this car. This just shows how Sauber(Mclaren and Williams also) have been sinking

PS: I would love if all the issues were solely due to wind tunnel correlation problems but I'm not so hopeful on this design anymore
Last edited by Artur Craft on 10 May 2013, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa

Artur Craft wrote:I was expecting more from the first FPs given the changes in FW(even if going back to some previous designs) and the use of the more regular RW

Now, I'm starting to fear these design might have some fundamental issues with it which will lead to "no potential to be unlocked"

C31 was fast and still gentle on tires while C32 is slow and average in tire degradation.

Last year, given Koba's speed on Q2 and Perez's Q3 time, it was likely Kamui could've qualified ahead of Alonso(as Perez was only 0,2s away) if wasn't for car failure in Q3, making him start 2nd on grid, if I'm not mistaken

If they can reach Q3 this year, it will be already one hell of an achievement with this car. This just shows how Sauber(Mclaren and Williams also) have been sinking
What changes to the FW? Looks like the same one used all year and almost all last year ?

Artur Craft

yeah, you're right. For some reason, I though some of the upper element's shapes were different but then I checked with older pics and it seems all the same

Maybe my wishful thinking of seeing them with a new FW have led to think it was different :oops:

stefan_

Spain 2013 - Friday (10.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

techF1LES

Huntresa

Is that this years car ?

techF1LES

Huntresa wrote:
Is that this years car ?
Yes, C32.

turbof1

The head wind cfd image is extremely useful, showing the airflow dynamics over the complete car. Very nice find indeed.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_

Also with the wind hitting in different parts of the car. It is interesting to see how the wind affects the car, as we all hear when the engineers tell the driver the location, speed and direction of the wind. Cool stuff from Sauber.

For the ones who don't know:
RED - high pressure
BLUE - low pressure
The wind is hitting from left to right.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

beelsebob

Wow, good stuff sauber!

My theory about the airflow around the side pods being what took the exhaust gas down appears to be bollocks. Lovely to see some hard evidence.

I'd love to see what happens when the front wheels are turned too.

Huntresa

beelsebob wrote:Wow, good stuff sauber!

My theory about the airflow around the side pods being what took the exhaust gas down appears to be bollocks. Lovely to see some hard evidence.

Well it has never actually been the flow over the sidepod that takes the gases down to the floor, it just helps it after the gases has formed to the tunnel and is going down and then unites with the sidepod flow, just like that italian dude says in the video on peter windsors channel.

beelsebob

Huntresa wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Wow, good stuff sauber!

Well it has never actually been the flow over the sidepod that takes the gases down to the floor, it just helps it after the gases has formed to the tunnel and is going down and then unites with the sidepod flow, just like that italian dude says in the video on peter windsors channel.
Right, I know, my point was that I had an earlier theory that the sauber was designed to carry air from the undercut, up and around the side pod, and then over the exhaust to help with the problem some more. Looking at these pictures, it appears not to be the case.