Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spacepace

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

irang wrote:http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/c ... 3358206991
Here's a little something for the geek in you...

With Singapore just over a week away, we've been putting in the hours with our fellow tech bods at Infiniti to develop a new hydrogen free 'Diamond Like Carbon' coating for the gear boxes we'll be using at the night race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

The Diamond Like Carbon (DLC to you and me) is already used in Infiniti road cars so we’ve re-worked the idea to use on our RB9s. The material is super-smooth which results in less friction between the elements inside the gear box. Broken down, what this means is that we can manage the temperature of the gear box and limit the scope for overheating more easily.

So there you have it.
Wonder if this coating that they will be using has anything to do with that gearbox they had trouble with?

Hobbs04

elFranZ wrote:
Hobbs04 wrote:I found this YouTube channel back in 2011 when red bull had EBD. He posts videos of track days and races at the Monza circuit regularly.
He mentions on his channel last week rb9 had a unique popping sound, not as crackly as 2011. He also mentioned all the Mercedes powered cars had a popping sound too. He hasn't posted anything from last weekend except the medical car and safety car. I'm not savvy on posting individual videos on this forum but when he posts Monza gp videos ill sure try.

http://www.youtube.com/user/19Bozzy92

Do yourself a favor and look up 2011 F1 EBD, turn it up too. Not only can you see the speed and braking difference between the cars you can hear the different EBD.
I was there, and I can say that every Renault-powered car sounded louder and popping in downshifts, and for the first part of accelerations.
It was just like they had two completely different maps for low and high revs, with a precise switch value.
Did you get any videos?

raymondu999

Spacepace wrote:Wonder if this coating that they will be using has anything to do with that gearbox they had trouble with?
I doubt it. They've been having gearbox trouble at Monza every year since 09 - even in 2011, if memory serves.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:
Spacepace wrote:Wonder if this coating that they will be using has anything to do with that gearbox they had trouble with?
I doubt it. They've been having gearbox trouble at Monza every year since 09 - even in 2011, if memory serves.
Yep, Monza is especially hard on gearboxes, the explanation I've seen for this is that the especially large curbs in acceleration zones mean that there's a significant differential between the wheel's angular velocity, and the car's velocity when the car lands, so a pretty large reverse torque gets shoved through the gearbox every single chicaine.

lio007

With Singapore just over a week away, we've been putting in the hours with our fellow tech bods at Infiniti to develop a new hydrogen free 'Diamond Like Carbon' coating for the gear boxes we'll be using at the night race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

The Diamond Like Carbon (DLC to you and me) is already used in Infiniti road cars so we’ve re-worked the idea to use on our RB9s. The material is super-smooth which results in less friction between the elements inside the gear box. Broken down, what this means is that we can manage the temperature of the gear box and limit the scope for overheating more easily.

So there you have it.
IIRC Caterham buys the gear boxes from RB. So does that mean, they'll also get this new coating?

beelsebob

Druk Lager wrote:Does RB9 needs to use Monza gearboxes in Singapore?
I don't remember them having to change a gearbox yet, so they're likely on the normal 5 race cycle. That means the boxes will only be 2 races old.

gray41

I wonder if they will change 5th, 6th and 7th again?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

krisfx

lio007 wrote:

So there you have it.
IIRC Caterham buys the gear boxes from RB. So does that mean, they'll also get this new coating?

I doubt it, customer team and all that. I think it'll be a few races/next year before they get the latest spec?

irang

Druk Lager wrote:Does RB9 needs to use Monza gearboxes in Singapore?
Monza was 4th race for Vettel's since the change after Silverstone DNF. Ted said according to Newey 'one race to go on each gearbox'. Then I guess Webber was allowed to change his after China DNF. (Edit: it was before the race - pit lane start)

"Frankly, to me this is all a mystery," Newey after the race shook his head. "Monza is because of the long translation especially hard for the gear, but we had never had a problem. Nor do we yet know why there of all concerned the top three gears." Team principal Christian Horner was perplexed: "Caterham used identical gear and had no problem with it."
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 94107.html
Last edited by irang on 15 Sep 2013, 00:39, edited 2 times in total.

lio007

so does that mean when they use this new coating, they use a new gearbox? if that's the case, then both drivers get a 5 grid penalty...

edit:
here you can see that both drivers got a new gear box in germany: http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ber-19.pdf

marcush.

they ordered their drivers to short shift the lower gears ,yet the higher ones are the ones which are in danger?Newey said Vettels box was nursed only as a precaution measure -it could be in perfect condition ,no unusual temps were recorded during the race...so it seems RB is a bit too panicking ....

irang

marcush. wrote:they ordered their drivers to short shift the lower gears ,yet the higher ones are the ones which are in danger?Newey said Vettels box was nursed only as a precaution measure -it could be in perfect condition ,no unusual temps were recorded during the race...so it seems RB is a bit too panicking ....
Only for Webber. 'Short-shift gear two to gear three' To Vettel 'Short-shift into five and into six only on red lights'

Obviously they spotted something on Friday. It got worse on Saturday. Physical damages and high oil temperatures. It's only natural that they were overly cautious since they already had a gearbox related DNF which started with losing 5th gear.
lio007 wrote:so does that mean when they use this new coating, they use a new gearbox? if that's the case, then both drivers get a 5 grid penalty...

edit:
here you can see that both drivers got a new gear box in germany: http://184.106.145.74/f1-championship/f ... ber-19.pdf
Thanks for the link. I too wonder if it means gearbox change or not.

timbo

IIRC the actual gears can be changed with no penalty, so if they only want to change that they can freely do so.

raymondu999

timbo wrote:IIRC the actual gears can be changed with no penalty, so if they only want to change that they can freely do so.
What actually constitutes a gearbox replacement then?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Huntresa

raymondu999 wrote:
timbo wrote:IIRC the actual gears can be changed with no penalty, so if they only want to change that they can freely do so.
What actually constitutes a gearbox replacement then?

Breaking the seal would constitute a replacement, no ?