Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Rikhart wrote:Unbelievable vibration of that front wing (again), just saw it on FP1 around the 7 mins left mark on vettels car. It looked like it was going to fly off. Also its very clearly depressing on the straights and coming back up on braking, so it seems it doesnt really matter what sort of improvements they do to the flexing tests.
They are continually researching and developing carbon fibre layer tech. I would not be suprised if they by now can manipulate the way it flexes on a moniculear level. The FIA is powerless against that; teams that haven't invested into such technology already have problems with getting the wing legal without breaking. They can't make the flex tests much more stringent in its current platform.
#AeroFrodo

Matt Somers

turbof1 wrote:
Rikhart wrote:Unbelievable vibration of that front wing (again), just saw it on FP1 around the 7 mins left mark on vettels car. It looked like it was going to fly off. Also its very clearly depressing on the straights and coming back up on braking, so it seems it doesnt really matter what sort of improvements they do to the flexing tests.
They are continually researching and developing carbon fibre layer tech. I would not be suprised if they by now can manipulate the way it flexes on a moniculear level. The FIA is powerless against that; teams that haven't invested into such technology already have problems with getting the wing legal without breaking. They can't make the flex tests much more stringent in its current platform.
Here's a video I took yesterday and posted on twitter: http://telly.com/9RPWYI you can see just how much it's oscillating at high speed
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Nando

Well it´s nowhere near the extreme examples they ran before where the wing would sit down flat on the ground and raise itself as they hit the brakes.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

wesley123

This again?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

flyboy2160

turbof1 wrote:....
They are continually researching and developing carbon fibre layer tech. I would not be suprised if they by now can manipulate the way it flexes on a moniculear level. The FIA is powerless against that; teams that haven't invested into such technology already have problems with getting the wing legal without breaking.....
Who is "they"? What is "moniculear"? Do you have any reference citations for such flexing?

Rikhart

flyboy2160 wrote:
They are continually researching and developing carbon fibre layer tech. I would not be suprised if they by now can manipulate the way it flexes on a moniculear level. The FIA is powerless against that; teams that haven't invested into such technology already have problems with getting the wing legal without breaking.....
Who is "they"? What is "moniculear"? Do you have any reference citations for such flexing?
You can clearly see it anytime from the in car camera, using the brake winglet as a very handy reference. Goes down on straights, then pops to normal position under braking. Not to mention that extreme vibration that I mentioned, and was shown above on a video. Everyone else´s wing is rock solid, even riding the kerbs they have almost zero movement.

kooleracer

Matt Somers wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Here's a video I took yesterday and posted on twitter: http://telly.com/9RPWYI you can see just how much it's oscillating at high speed
I have watched the movie 3 times don't see the wing moving up and down its only oscillating. How could an oscillating FW have aero advantage, does it stall the FW?
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Gridlock

The lateral oscillation of the whole RW structure is way more pronounced on RBRs but I never see people bringing that up.

shelly

Forza wrote:F1 Malaysian GP - Friday FP - 22/3/2013

http://imgur.com/3w04Lun.jpg
On the rb9 the rear wing endplate extensions seem much more twisted than on the other cars. The axis of the vortex they interact with should pass along the center of them , since the twist is given to them to have a corrcect angle f attck with respect to the vortex induced perturbation of the local velocity angle.

From the orientation of the twist you can infer the sens of rotation of the vortex. To me, for the right side of the car seen froma the back, it seems that the vortex rotates counterclockwise - that seems strange because the lower endplate vortex is clockwise there
twitter: @armchair_aero

flyboy2160

Rikhart wrote:
flyboy2160 wrote:
You can clearly see it anytime from the in car camera, using the brake winglet as a very handy reference. Goes down on straights, then pops to normal position under braking. Not to mention that extreme vibration that I mentioned, and was shown above on a video. Everyone else´s wing is rock solid, even riding the kerbs they have almost zero movement.

I wasn't referring to the deflection. I'm questioning who the 'they' is that has this "moniculear' flexing, whatever that is.

Sevach

I have to say that at this point of the session, Vettel's tyres were coming apart badly and he was complaining on the radio about the vibrations.

If Hamilton or Perez drove flatout with their bad flatspots from yesterday everything would vibrate as well.

turbof1

flyboy2160 wrote:

I wasn't referring to the deflection. I'm questioning who the 'they' is that has this "moniculear' flexing, whatever that is.
They= Red Bull
"moniculear"= typo; obviously moleculear.
#AeroFrodo

JMN
JMN

During the race a number of (admittedly team related) explanations for "multi 21" were offered in the race thread with some suggesting it was an internal code for the team order "car 2 ahead of car 1". It appears this is not the case.

Rather, it is the designation for the multi-map.
Source: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/red-bull-rb9/:
A hugely controversial race result at Sepang was all down to team orders. Both Vettel and Webber were told to switch the multi map to setting 21 “multi 21″, Webber did so but Vettel did not. The multi-map is a pre-programmable, driver selectable feature of the MES std ECU, on the RB9 the adjustment is on the right hand side of the steering wheel (below – on setting 4)

Nando

Looks like it´s set to Multi 14 there. The one on the other side seems to be apart of it.

As it would not have room to hold 21 numbers on that single knob. (Octagon)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

JMN
JMN

I thought so too. However, I don't know how much sense it makes based on this picture