Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SectorOne

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

The only real anomaly is Silverstone.
the Merc´s looked on par with the Bulls in all areas.

Just too bad Hamilton had a puncture, and Vettel DNF:d.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Huntresa

SectorOne wrote:The only real anomaly is Silverstone.

How have the mercs looked on par with the Bulls when it has more often then not dropped more back then the Ferrari and Lotus ?

SectorOne

Huntresa wrote:

How have the mercs looked on par with the Bulls when it has more often then not dropped more back then the Ferrari and Lotus ?
If you read it you´ll see i´m talking about Silverstone.
That´s where the Mercedes was on par with the Bull in every area unless you know one area it wasn´t.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Huntresa

SectorOne wrote:
Huntresa wrote:

If you read it you´ll see i´m talking about Silverstone.
That´s where the Mercedes was on par with the Bull in every area unless you know one area it wasn´t.
Yeah i did read it and i also read the punctuation behind silverstone hence me thinkin you meant Silverstone was a bad anamoly and the rest was on par.

SectorOne

oh ok, no the anomaly was Mercedes keeping up with red bull in all areas at Silverstone.
Hungary is debatable, the Bull was probably quicker but had trouble getting past cars coupled with Hamilton´s "determination" of getting past Webber.

Huntresa

SectorOne wrote:oh ok, no the anomaly was Mercedes keeping up with red bull in all areas at Silverstone.
Hungary is debatable, the Bull was probably quicker but had trouble getting past cars coupled with Hamilton´s "determination" of getting past Webber.
I actually think Red Bull might have just been conservative with the setup at Hungary as in not going full out the setup they would like and have used ever since we got the new tyres, so at Hungary they prob used the setup that was used to be able to run the old tyres just to be safe.

henra

Ferraripilot wrote:At the peak of its development, W04 was faster than RB9. Monaco, Silverstone, Hungary, qualifying, it was faster. Qualifying is the ultimate indicator of outright speed, and W04 was indeed faster, it just had some tire growing pains which were thankfully fixed in a rather genius manner.
Still when considering Qualiy pace we don't know if RB sacrificed some Quali pace in order to make the tyres last better in the race. At that point of the season they were still in a close fight with Ferrari/Alonso who had a much better grip on the tyres at that point of the season while RB themselves still quite struggled with tyre degradation.
So, although generally true there might be a shade of uncertainty about the potential maximum Quali pace of the RB9 at that stage.
Still from a pure max pace perspective W04 was the only real contender to the Monster RB9 this year. Kudos to Merc for that remarkable step compared to its predecessors.

SectorOne

henra wrote:Still when considering Qualiy pace we don't know if RB sacrificed some Quali pace in order to make the tyres last better in the race.
I think we can positively say they did.
But let´s not forget Mercedes did the same and have an even bigger reason to do so then Red Bull.
Rosberg taking pole in Spain and was quite baffled since his setup was built for the race.

Bull´s initial pole positions came from wet conditions, AUS and MAL.
First dry one Hamilton took, then Rosberg went on his run of three consecutive poles. (Monaco Q3 was dry)

Canada (i think) was wet, which Vettel took.

Britain, Germany, Hungary dry, Hamilton took those.

Then another wet session which you could say Vettel would have taken but had a disadvantage since Hamilton could use him as a grip stick and just go a tiny bit faster and steal it.

I think the thing was simply Mercedes got more out of the old tires then Red Bull, arguably you can say they got too much out of them.

Then new tires came, pole differences was down at less then or at a tenth.
Mercedes reporting having trouble getting heat in the tires funnily enough and after that Vettel and Red Bull with the new compounds started leaving everyone behind.

On the old tires i think that pound for pound, the Mercedes was genuinely quicker on low fuel then the RBR.
Which then shifted to Red Bull with the new tires.

gray41

Thank you W04 3 wins, 8 poles.

On to the W05.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Mika1

This thread will be active again. W04 was fast, but sometimes a bit frustrating to watch. Hopefully they will improve race pace.
The boss follows me on twitter.

MercAMGF1Fans

Not bad, from P5 to P2

as Ross said.. it's the culmination of the efforts from last year

NewtonMeter

5th to 2nd...please allow me to be jerk, because it has been pent up for the better part of 15 months.

So, where are the idiots that incessently harked on about "three chiefs/chefs/kings" and how it was supposedly a certainty that the W04 would fail misrebly?

Well, who'd have thunk it, Ross Brawn is smarter that a bunch of forumers with nothing better to do. Subtle as hell, I never saw it coming.

Bon Appétit...

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

MercAMGF1Fans

NewtonMeter wrote:5th to 2nd...please allow me to be jerk, because it has been pent up for the better part of 15 months.

So, where are the idiots that incessently harked on about "three chiefs/chefs/kings" and how it was supposedly a certainty that the W04 would fail misrebly?

Well, who'd have thunk it, Ross Brawn is smarter that a bunch of forumers with nothing better to do. Subtle as hell, I never saw it coming.

Bon Appétit...

http://cdn.stripersonline.com/e/e4/200x ... 0x470.jpeg
LOL! nicely put.. mainly it was Benson and co.. making up crap about "too many cooks spoil the broth" etc..

Shrieker

I was really scared that Wolff and Brawn would make things a mess. Glad it didn't turn out that way, but my fears weren't completely unfounded either given the news Brawn is forced to leave now.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

i70q7m7ghw

It's clear the new hires have all been tasked with looking at next year. That's why Brawn doesn't have a job anymore, they are coming through to lead the team through 2014 and he's being asked to go back to the factory and work on 2015.

Honda ran a similar strategy before they closed it all down, they had two teams. One team working on the current car, and another working on the next car. They rotated the teams every year. It eventually paid off, the BG01 was the result.