Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lycoming

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

godlameroso wrote:I don't disagree, downforce is being produced even as low as 40kph, but is it's effect enough to influence traction?
That's what I meant when I say non negligible. Let's assume that the rear wing accounts for 30% of the car's downforce, has a lift coefficient of 2.5 and a planform area of .45 m^2 (which I got from rough photographic analysis). At 90 km/h, that would mean the entire car makes 1.4 kN of downforce, which is .2 g, assuming a 700 kg car (ie. on mid race fuel levels). Would you consider that amount of downforce to have negligible effect on traction? I wouldn't.

heimana

news of the W05?

Timstr

Mercedes is testing F1 engine with half the car
Mercedes is testing its powertrain on a special test bench. The new V6 turbo is installed, including hybrid technology, transmission and cooling in an original chassis, which is cut off from the front axle to the front. The radiators are installed in the sidepods similar to the way they will be in the 2014 Silver Arrow. And the rear is also as narrow as it will be in reality.
Engineers can thus recognize the real object if the cooling works. According Lauda one of many new problems that lie ahead for all engineers. "We are constantly learning new things. Suddenly you have to take care of things like water pressure or intercooling. Oil and water must be in a precise temperature window. If these go beyond just a few degrees above a certain limit, it tears up everything."
Source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1-606153.html

Any ideas about how they simulate the air cooling on this special test bench?

stefan_

Fans blowing to simulate different speeds?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Timstr

I thought they'd need some type of wind tunnel setup. Just a couple of fans blowing sounds too simplistic to mimic real world conditions. You could easily get wrong readings on cooling requirements.

NathanOlder

Guess thats all they can do. Or strap the whole thing to the top of a 747 :P
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

adrianjordan

Timstr wrote:I thought they'd need some type of wind tunnel setup. Just a couple of fans blowing sounds too simplistic to mimic real world conditions. You could easily get wrong readings on cooling requirements.
Given that this is F1, I doubt they're just "a couple of fans", but you could easily have some sort of wind-tunnel-without-the-tunnel setup....(to get around the rules limiting wind tunnel testing).
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Timstr

Been doing some reading about dynos. There are developments there as well.
In the automotive sector, AVL now also delivers tailored integrated chassis-powertrain dynos inside climatic chambers to enable various tests. These are beyond the classic dynos with just the engine running inside a chamber. It's possible such a setup has been created in Brixworth.

https://www.avl.com/engine-and-powertraing-testing

Faustino

Made a rough mock up of what the W05 could look like. Would definitely like if they went with the colour scheme!

adrianjordan

Faustino wrote:Made a rough mock up of what the W05 could look like. Would definitely like if they went with the colour scheme!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdMZ-aqCAAEOx14.jpg:large
Isn't that just the W04??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Huntresa

And the exact same colour as this year ? :P

SectorOne

=D>

That is hilarious :D

Edit: he´s fiddled a tiny bit with the front wing and rear wing it seems.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Manoah2u

and it looks a bit more blue then green. but the overall picture is more blue.
lol. i guess there really is no news. :mrgreen:
and it's clear that's a old-reg car haha, he's not even trying :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Huntresa

Ah lol look at the FW on the right side, he has deleted abit of it or erased.

Faustino

Ah --- off :) I made the rear wing narrower and higher. Took me 10 minutes.