Ferrari 2014 Car Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Gerhard Berger

Re: Ferrari 2014 Car Pre-launch Speculation

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:AMuS Interview with Pat Fry on 2014 car development as well as the F138. Very very interesting read.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 43954.html
Yeh interesting stuff.

I think perhaps Ferrari may go back to the 2008 style endplates. Also it seems Fry has gone down the "make a reliable car fast" rather than "make a fast car reliable" route. Makes sense. If you lose a couple of engines early in the season, you will be taking grid penalties in the 2nd half of the season.

aleks_ader

Gerhard Berger wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:AMuS Interview with Pat Fry on 2014 car development as well as the F138. Very very interesting read.

Yeh interesting stuff.

I think perhaps Ferrari may go back to the 2008 style endplates. Also it seems Fry has gone down the "make a reliable car fast" rather than "make a fast car reliable" route. Makes sense. If you lose a couple of engines early in the season, you will be taking grid penalties in the 2nd half of the season.
Yes indeed! For first part of season is maybe wiser try find&explore the limits and even then till the end the season optimized or tight the package much as possible...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

henra

Very interesting, open and honest analysis of the situation by Pat Fry. =D>
Fits quite well to the impression one could get of the situation.
Intersting that he also mentions FW endplates as one of the big mysteries of 2014 similar to Adrian Newey.
There will be probably quite some going back and forth on that front next year, especially at the beginning of the season.

Regarding differences between the engines he sees mostly reliability as a differentiator plus a bit of fuel consumption.
So another guy who doesn't believe there will be huge power differences between the engines.

FrukostScones

AMUS: Can the engines next year compensate for aero deficts?

Fry:......
I believe that there will not a big power/performance difference between the engines. Maybe in the race, when the fuel consumptiopn dictates the performance. :?: :mrgreen: (so Ferrari has the alleged efficiency deficit?)

AMUS: Do you see many loopholes in the regs?
Fry: The aerodynamic regs are pretty clear, regarding the powertrain I see the possibilty to interpret certain things differently.

loopholes in the powertrain regs, sounds like trouble to me!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Holm86

FrukostScones wrote:

AMUS: Can the engines next year compensate for aero deficts?

Fry:......
I believe that there will not a big power/performance difference between the engines. Maybe in the race, when the fuel consumptiopn dictates the performance. :?: :mrgreen: (so Ferrari has the alleged efficiency deficit?)

AMUS: Do you see many loopholes in the regs?
Fry: The aerodynamic regs are pretty clear, regarding the powertrain I see the possibilty to interpret certain things differently.

loopholes in the powertrain regs, sounds like trouble to me!
According to this site it is the aero regulations he sees a few different interpretations in.
“The aerodynamic regulations are pretty clear,” he said, “but I do see a few ways to interpret things differently.

“There will be solutions that have not previously been seen,” revealed Fry.
I guess its just bad translation.

FrukostScones

AMuS is the original source, what they write in your link is a very bad citation and summary of the AMuS interview!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Holm86

Thought so.

Sebp

Why won't it look like this gorgeous concept?

If your answer is: "The FIA!", keep it to yourself. :D
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Thunder

God that looks AMAZING.

Someone should slap the FIA Rulewirters bloody with a Book made of 1000 Copies of that Picture. ^^
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Huntresa

You could prob make that car out of the regs minus the coanda but that doesnt mean it will be good.

Gridlock

The low rear wing would be allowed how?

bjpower

Anyone remember the pre launch speculation from last year or maybe the year before. where it was rumored that fearri had moved the sidepods back and replaced the side crash structure with wings?

I tried to google an image. but no joy.

they do say that the new engines will be shorter. as shortening the wheel base does not seem to be an option ( merc tried it a few years ago)
maybe this year they will try something funky :)

no idea what advantage it would have mind you

Owen.C93

bjpower wrote:Anyone remember the pre launch speculation from last year or maybe the year before. where it was rumored that fearri had moved the sidepods back and replaced the side crash structure with wings?

they do say that the new engines will be shorter. as shortening the wheel base does not seem to be an option ( merc tried it a few years ago)
maybe this year they will try something funky :)

no idea what advantage it would have mind you
If Ferrari were really having trouble with the weight limit then they'd reduce the wheelbase. The biggest problem with that is the smaller floor area and thus less downforce. More so than any mechanical disadvantage.
Last edited by Owen.C93 on 13 Dec 2013, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Huntresa

Gridlock wrote:The low rear wing would be allowed how?
I didnt notice it being that low.

SectorOne

bjpower wrote:Anyone remember the pre launch speculation from last year or maybe the year before. where it was rumored that fearri had moved the sidepods back and replaced the side crash structure with wings?

Piola´s drawing prior to the 2012 season.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"