Red Bull RB10 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Red Bull RB10 Pre-launch Speculation

This is the speculation thread about the 2014 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Engine speculation has its own thread; unless it directly involves the 2014 Red Bull contender, please keep any speculation here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

For other 2014 topics, please check here

A few topic suggestions:
-Will the Red Bull keep some if its rake advantage?

-Towards the end of the 2013 season we still saw some updates coming to the car, like the vertical strakes on the front wing.

-Newey implied the car will have "an ugly nose".
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

Re: Red Bull RB10 Pre-launch Speculation

Helmut Marko has hinted that the RB10 will feature some unconventional solutions on board. Though that could mean anything coming from him.
Last edited by Holm86 on 04 Dec 2013, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

gandharva

Christian Horner on RB10:
I think Adrian would describe it as RB10 being a cousin of RB9
There are elements that are going to carry over and the DNA of RB10 will come out of RB9. Of course, it's a much different engine and exhaust solution, but aerodynamics are still going to play an important role next year.
The engines are the big unknown next year. All the manufacturers are probably struggling with reliability because the units have got to go so much further than the V8s, plus the complicated electronics on the car and a big turbo - it's a completely different form of racing. I think they've come up with the most complicated type of engine you could have dreamt up and it's certainly bloody expensive.

Holm86

Article in german here

Fast translation to english.
The fear to go in Formula 1 Fear of slowness and against espionage . Reason are the new rules . From 2014 drive Vettel and Co. with trimmed aerodynamics and new engine . Bottom Carboniferous dress solves a 1.6-liter V6 turbo engine with dual hybrid system for heat and kinetic energy from the current 2.4 - liter V8 naturally aspirated engines . Only 135 liters of fuel may be burned per Grand Prix. The maximum speed is limited to 15,000 trips (instead of 18000 ) . The formula 1 is used for fuel-saving formula . And Vettel's chief technical officer Adrian Newey warns : "The cars are ugly! "

Secrecy in the premier class ! The teams watch each other. No computer drawing is not yet being made public . For great is the danger of espionage. Because Newey will vary according to rumors again from the conventional design . " We have our ideas , but do not know whether that differ from those of the other ," he says cryptically . But some clues are already leaked. SPORT BILD exclusively shows how the new Red Bull of quadruple champion Sebastian Vettel ( 26) might look like.

The renowned Formula 1 artist Craig Scarborough has drawn a RB10 by 2014er regulations. Frightening here : the duckbill nose! The governing body of the automobile FIA want Red Bull at slowing . Therefore, they curtail the aerodynamics. Result: the hook in front of the vehicle . Reason: The front end of the car can not be more floating 55 inches above the floor , but only 18.5 . This reduces the pressure and makes the cars slower - and uglier. "You will recognize some familiar characteristics of Red Bull next year ," says Newey , "but the narrower front wing and the lower nose will change outwardly strong the cars. "

And they will also make them slower. "The new aerodynamic regulations cost 1.5 to two seconds per lap ," reckons ex -Jordan , chief technical officer and BBC expert Gary Anderson in front of SPORT BILD . " The increased weight ( 690 instead of 642 kilo ) costs an additional 1.5 seconds, and the harder Pirelli tires again 0.5 . The bottom section of the brakes the car by around 3.5 to four seconds per lap one . " While some experts already warn the Formula 1 speed decreasing to GP2 level , Anderson holds nothing of scaremongering . "Experience shows that the development curve at the beginning of a new era rule is particularly steep. The cars will soon be as fast as before . "

The hopes and world champion Sebastian Vettel. "I am my first test still run with the old V10 engines ," he recapitulated at the Autosport Awards on Sunday . "I would have made me almost pee in their pants with fear. The second test was a V8 in the rear. The difference you have already noticed . I just hope that with the new engines not even more power is lost. " On 28 January, he knows more . Then the first test run takes place in Jerez .
Last edited by Holm86 on 04 Dec 2013, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw

Big shoes to fill. Nothing short of total domination is acceptable now. Anything that isn't 1 second quicker than the rest of the field out of the box will be a disaster.

i70q7m7ghw

Nope. No reason for the tunnel in the sidepod now, they will revert to '09 config, or as close as they can get with the new packaging. Really, we should be expecting very bulky looking cars next season. Also, they won't go for that nose.

Holm86

Diesel wrote:
Nope. No reason for the tunnel in the sidepod now, they will revert to '09 config, or as close as they can get with the new packaging. Really, we should be expecting very bulky looking cars next season. Also, they won't go for that nose.
scarbs wrote:
No the tunnel is still there for good reason, if you use the top surface of the sidepod to run vortices along from the VGs at the front, you can get a high pressure at the diffusers trailing edge. This, like EBD leaves the issue of the cross flow from the sidepod undercut. Thus the tunnel exists to duct the crossflow to the starter motor hole

i70q7m7ghw

Holm86 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
scarbs wrote:
No the tunnel is still there for good reason, if you use the top surface of the sidepod to run vortices along from the VGs at the front, you can get a high pressure at the diffusers trailing edge. This, like EBD leaves the issue of the cross flow from the sidepod undercut. Thus the tunnel exists to duct the crossflow to the starter motor hole
Renault had a design that tried this at the start of '09. It didn't work, and nobody else followed it.

Holm86

It's still just a sketch. No one has ever said that the RB10 would look excatly like that.

For instance I asked Scarbs if he had taken the new crash structures into consideration. Which he didnt as he wasnt sure how they look like.

turbof1

It has been said they will be longer, making the minimum width of the sidepods wider.

I also can make up from the sketch Scarbs believes red bull will extend the rear wing pillars to the floor, as opposed to using pillars to support the rear wing?
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:It has been said they will be longer, making the minimum width of the sidepods wider.
I posted a video in the 2014 design thread that shows the new crash structures. And yes they will be larger. So either they will bulk up the sidepods (which would probably happen anyways because of larger cooling requirements) or they will seperate the crash structures from the sidepod using the crash structures to create some sort of wing or flow diverter.
turbof1 wrote: I also can make up from the sketch Scarbs believes red bull will extend the rear wing pillars to the floor, as opposed to using pillars to support the rear wing?
That is correct.
Last edited by Holm86 on 04 Dec 2013, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

*rear wing endplates. Typed that one up in a haste.

The idea about converting the crash structure into a wing has been floating around since 2012. If there weren't any rule changes it might happened in 2014 due radiators becoming increasingly compact to the point sidepod width could realistically become smaller then the crash structure. However, next year teams will have to stuff up their sidepods a lot more, so I don't think we'll see it becoming a reality within the coming years.
#AeroFrodo

CBeck113

Holm86 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:It has been said they will be longer, making the minimum width of the sidepods wider.
I posted a video in the 2014 design thread that shows the new crash structures. And yes they will be larger. So either they will bulk up the sidepods (which would probably happen anyways because of larger cooling requirements) or they will seperate the crash structures from the sidepod using the crash structures to create some sort of wing or flow diverter.

After watching the video, I have a question: what is regulated by the FIA concerning the side impact protection?

In this image from the Lotus you can see that the SIP has the same material as in the FIA video, but a different form:

If they "only" have to withstand a certain force at a certain angle, then we can't really say that they will be that large next year. But, on the other side, if the SIP has to be implemented for the 180mm nnose height and the 550mm chassis height, then the form of the sidepod will be limited. Who knows the specifics about this (at work and can't access all site to do the needed reasearch...)?
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Holm86

CBeck113 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

After watching the video, I have a question: what is regulated by the FIA concerning the side impact protection?

In this image from the Lotus you can see that the SIP has the same material as in the FIA video, but a different form:
http://www.google.de/imgres?sa=X&biw=16 ... =113&ty=76

If they "only" have to withstand a certain force at a certain angle, then we can't really say that they will be that large next year. But, on the other side, if the SIP has to be implemented for the 180mm nnose height and the 550mm chassis height, then the form of the sidepod will be limited. Who knows the specifics about this (at work and can't access all site to do the needed reasearch...)?
They will be standardized. So standard SIP which is fabricated from a single supplier and then given to the teams. This is how I understand it.

Huntresa

scarbs wrote:
Renault had a design that tried this at the start of '09. It didn't work, and nobody else followed it.
Yeah but we have had tunnels for 2 years now working fine, so why wouldnt a tunnel work ?