Sauber C33 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Sauber C33 Pre-launch Speculation

This is just a generic render. Notice it has no floor, the endplates are way too straight and misses bargeboards and sidepod turning vanes.

They just gave the rule changes to a design artist and told him to design something that would get people talking.
#AeroFrodo

hollus

It is a partial render / photoshop of an early C32. The contour of the sidepods (minus floor, echaust ramp and flow conditioners) is the same, the nose profile is the same, the mirror position is identical. Even the reflection between and below the two "Claro" stickers is the same and the telmex cascades in the front wing are the same. The wheels are definitively added afterwards, check where they get light from.
The perspective and lighting is slightly different, but remove all the elements that are not in the teaser from the C32, and you are left with an exact copy.

P.S. the next person to suggest that a team shows us the new car by mistake in such a deliberate and elaborate way, sh... on you (5 letters word).
Rivals, not enemies.

Manoah2u

no it's not. look at the tail wing. look at the mirrors. look at the front wing end plates. it's not the same at all. i thought that at first, too, but as posted above, it's not the same at all. apart from that, the entire view angle is different.

could very well be a CGI digital rendering top-view down of the actual c33, with parts removed like the floor, sideboards, the nose, as to not give away too much.

could just as much be a older ferrari top view, who knows. it's not a c29,c30,c31, nor c32.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Callum

Is it interesting to note that the picture is not symmetrical longitudinally (the shading is different if you look closely) - possibly meaning that it is not a CGI mock-up and is actually a real (but photoshopped) picture.

FrukostScones

real.
wait a minute....
i wish it was real.
maybe ....
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

hollus

Actually it is symmetrical, except for compression artifacts and the shading in the floor. Features of the car are exactly symmetrical. Grab the image above and force the contrast yourself, little by little, with any tool you want (mine is powerpoint, contrast to 90%, brightness to 70% or so Look at the front wing, pixel by pixel, look at the reflections, pixel by pixel.
The car is illuminated from two symmetrical spots just where other teams had a sidepod but Sauber did not, just either side of the widest bulge. That much is clear not only by the reflections, but by looking how the tires get light and how the rear wing is directly illuminated, but only at the top, but the front wing is all in shadows.
It is CGI. And it is a C32, probably with a view from infinite removing perspective effects. Only the weird shade in the background is not exactly symmetrical, don't ask me why.
Rivals, not enemies.

turbof1

For the love of god, are we really still discussing if that thing is real or not?
#AeroFrodo

Callum

@Hollus, well played! =D>

FrukostScones

turbof1 wrote:For the love of god, are we really still discussing if that thing is real or not?
what do you mean with real? It is a picture, of what we don't know, maybe it is pure fanatsy. But the side pods of the car pictured are not from C32 or whatever, if you think so you are blind... cockpit area looks same as on Sutil seat fitting pics, bring on sunday!

Manoah2u

front wing is different to anything shown of sauber before, too.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

FrukostScones wrote:
turbof1 wrote:For the love of god, are we really still discussing if that thing is real or not?
what do you mean with real? It is a picture, of what we don't know, maybe it is pure fanatsy. But the side pods of the car pictured are not from C32 or whatever, if you think so you are blind... cockpit area looks same as on Sutil seat fitting pics, bring on sunday!
No what I think that this is just a random render. The profile fits every F1 car's silhouette from the past 4-5 years. Are you going to point on sunday to me how similar it is to the real car? congratz then: it probably will be similar to a lot of cars.

What I do know is that even though the front wing is the correct size, the endplates are straighter then current cars, while the air will have to be bend much more agressive around the tyres with the smaller FW. It's missing floor area underneath the back of the sidepod area. While legal, it robs downforce at the rear. Not exactly logical. To top it off, it misses bargeboards and vertical turning vanes.

Random render which has no connection, except then announcing, to the next car. Just because they made a small effort to make it look correct towards the 2014 rules, doesn't mean it is any way the C33.
Last edited by turbof1 on 22 Jan 2014, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

FrukostScones

turbof1 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
No what I think that this is just a random render. The profile fits every F1 car's silhouette from the past 4-5 years. Are you going to point on sunday to me how similar it is to the real car? congratz then: it probably will be similar to a lot of cars.
haha, glad you ar so honest, going into pre-emtive denial with thought-terminating cliché :mrgreen:

turbof1

FrukostScones wrote: haha, glad you ar so honest, going into pre-emtive denial with thought-terminating cliché :mrgreen:
Look, I am not trying to be an ass here, but you can definitely see that the car pictured there is very very vague and missing crucial elements. Anybody with a bit of rendering skill could make that. That it comes from Sauber does not mean it's the C33. I'd also love to see more in it, but realistically, this is nothing more then building tension towards the launch. I wished I could call it a teaser, but it's not teasing to anything specific of the C33. It's an outline of any F1 car: sidepods, rear wing, front wing, chassis. Not one of these elements show differentiation.
#AeroFrodo

timbo

I remember when McLaren shown teaser for their 2010 car. I thought -- no way a modern F1 can would have sidepods like that. Guess what happened.
What Sauber shown might not be related to C33. But it might be just as well.

Gridlock

Thank God (Vishnu?) Force India put an end to this series of analyses...