Williams FW36 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Williams FW36 Pre-launch Speculation

This is the speculation thread about the 2014 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

Engine speculation has its own thread; unless it directly involves the 2014 Williams contender, please keep any speculation here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

For other 2014 topics, please check here
#AeroFrodo

sm68

Re: Williams FW36 Pre-launch Speculation

It will be interesting to see if the wasp-like rear end makes a return. It clearly didn't help much in 2013...

Huntresa

sm68 wrote:It will be interesting to see if the wasp-like rear end makes a return. It clearly didn't help much in 2013...
Their transmission experience is gonna help since its will be a new transmission and longer.

sm68

Huntresa wrote:
Their transmission experience is gonna help since its will be a new transmission and longer.
Yes they can build small gearboxes, but they if they can't sort the aero out then they are sunk. At the moment the (relative) success of 2012 looks like a blip on an otherwise mediocre decade. Williams have great facilities but they have got to get designers to match.

I am hoping for a more conventional rear end in 2014. The '13 rear was probably very good in smooth air flows in a wind tunnel, but I got the impression it was terrible under breaking for corners when the air flows changed radically. Maybe something like the RB tunnels might make an appearance.

f1316

I'd suggest that Williams' real problem was that they totally didn't get exhaust blowing - whenever it was a reasonably large performance factor (and when they tried to implement it to follow suit) they struggled. 2011, latter part of 2012, most of 2013, until they dropped it, are all cases in point.

But I also think that their decent competitiveness at other times shows they are doing some other things well. There's no point throwing the baby out with the bath water, and with the exhaust positioning for next year, having an uncluttered rear end will probably work in their favour.

kalinka

Yes, it's just a shame that they probably spent fortunes on coanda exhaust, which money they could spend on 2014 car. At least they discovered the problem before the end of this season.

dren

Yes, I expect the car to be much more competitive in 2014 now that the exhaust blown diffusers are out. They didn't get to grips with it as was evident when the 2013 car improved when they removed it. It will be interesting to see how competitive they will actually be. The low transmission will really help them next year.
Honda!

ringo

It's quite possible that their gearbox was heavier than the norm and less torsionally stiff.
They should try a conventional design next year i feel.
For Sure!!

Huntresa

sm68 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
Yes they can build small gearboxes, but they if they can't sort the aero out then they are sunk. At the moment the (relative) success of 2012 looks like a blip on an otherwise mediocre decade. Williams have great facilities but they have got to get designers to match.

I am hoping for a more conventional rear end in 2014. The '13 rear was probably very good in smooth air flows in a wind tunnel, but I got the impression it was terrible under breaking for corners when the air flows changed radically. Maybe something like the RB tunnels might make an appearance.
Ofc the aero was the problem they said that :D But with the small and longer gearbox and even smaller engine they could get space to make stuff with at the back that other teams cant, but who knows, i guess im just hoping for a good Williams car.

Sevach

The primary benefit of the low gearbox was a better airflow to the beam wing (which has been banned)
Also the regulations now dictate that the exhaust must be placed in the area above the gearbox, no wiggle room on that,.

I think those regulations will "kill" the low gearbox.
Maybe if they go even lower it will help the diffuser... but that's a stretch.

tuj
tuj

I know Williams was one of the teams interested in the "Flybrid" flywheel KERS technology a while back... I wonder if that could make it into the turbine ERS system?

Pierce89

tuj wrote:I know Williams was one of the teams interested in the "Flybrid" flywheel KERS technology a while back... I wonder if that could make it into the turbine ERS system?
Not really. The Flybrid is purely mechanical. The Williams flywheel was electromechanical, with a carbon flywheel impregnated with something ferrous to form a rotor and coil system.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Huntresa

Audi uses their Flywheel.

medeni73

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvcH8vs01rk[/youtube]

It seems Alonso and Andrea Stella are quite interested in that "wheelie"-system :)
So it could mean this could come in some form to F1 or Ferrari is preparing to attack Le Mans :)

bill shoe

Sevach wrote:The primary benefit of the low gearbox was a better airflow to the beam wing (which has been banned)
Also the regulations now dictate that the exhaust must be placed in the area above the gearbox, no wiggle room on that,.

I think those regulations will "kill" the low gearbox.
Maybe if they go even lower it will help the diffuser... but that's a stretch.
I think 2014 gearbox will be skinny as possible and a bit high/tall. Lack of beam wing changes all incentives in that area. I think rear suspension driveshaft, lower wishbone, and pullrod will be entirely at or higher than the rear wheel centerline.