Force India VJM07 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
auto saibot

Re: Force India VJM07 Mercedes

Blackout wrote:The right hand intake manifold pipe above the 'O' of 'Claro' ?
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=14795526

Maybe it's fed by the big 'C' shaped channel coming from the intercoller placed in the left hand sidepod
you mean they possibly have two intakes for the airbox from intercooler?

also, is it possible for compressor to have intake on the shaft side, since it would be immediately facing the rear face of fuel tank

Godius

I've searched for pictures of the rear end of the car for a comparison. The first picture is from the Chinese GP where they introduced a new diffuser, new winglets on either side of the crash structure and a new tighter sidepod / engine cover design (tested in Bahrain - in-season test days). The second picture is from pre-season testing.

New
http://cdn-5.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... 5/s1_1.jpg

Old
http://www.formula1.com/wi/enlarge/0x0/ ... 29a122.jpg

Godius

AMuS found out that they were also running new double bargeboards in China:

New

Old

Rear Wing update:
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/For ... 774301.jpg
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/For ... 774302.jpg

Sidhartha.techie
Sidhartha.techie

muc-off.com/content/blog/618-behind-the-scenes-at-sahara-
^ this page has some interesting pics of the car, and a nose like the previous years .
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

Godius

Sidhartha.techie wrote:muc-off.com/content/blog/618-behind-the-scenes-at-sahara-
^ this page has some interesting pics of the car, and a nose like the previous years .
That isn't the VJM07, it's a mashup of the VJM05 and VJM06.

Godius

I made an other comparison with the help of pictures form racecar-engineering and presumably Sutton.

Turning vane evolution:

Pre-season testing

GP of China

Godius

I wonder why this is such an inactive thread, I seem to be the only one who cares about this car, haha.

I do have a question though for those few that are following this thread, what was the reasoning for having such a curved vane in that area, did they want to create a vortex that interacted with the diffuser. And could a curved vane like the RBR's are using on the front brake ducts be something that they could have adopted in this area?

PlatinumZealot

Godius wrote:I wonder why this is such an inactive thread, I seem to be the only one who cares about this car, haha.

I do have a question though for those few that are following this thread, what was the reasoning for having such a curved vane in that area, did they want to create a vortex that interacted with the diffuser. And could a curved vane like the RBR's are using on the front brake ducts be something that they could have adopted in this area?
Both vanes are Vortex generators for the diffuser. I think the curved one is an attempt to make the vortex behave like it had started closer to the front of the car. And also to create more local down-wash off the trailing edge of the rolled vane.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

molo
molo

Yall think the VJM07 will get a new nose in Spain??

Sidhartha.techie
Sidhartha.techie

molo wrote:Yall think the VJM07 will get a new nose in Spain??
well they did say, other nose solutions are being tried and tested, and the current one is a launch spec, so it may be coming to spain.
"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

Thunder

That FI Front Wing looks great. So much going on there. 8)

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Godius

When you look at that other one from AMuS, it looks like the FW in front has 3 orange elements (new) and the 2 in the background have 2 orange elements (old). Is this a illusion? Could be a new front wing.

adityah353
adityah353

It looks like the same front wing to me. But where is the new nose?

weirdlife
weirdlife

Looking at the stacked front wings at the back, it appears that the bottom belly/nose bump has increased. It could be the camera angle but I think there is a difference between the top and the bottom nose bumps.
Last edited by weirdlife on 08 May 2014, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Godius

adityah353 wrote:It looks like the same front wing to me. But where is the new nose?
You are right, I've observed it wrongly due to the angle. Where did you get the intel that they would bring a new nose?